Hi I have recently decided that soon I will dfu mode restore and update my 3rd gen 3.1.3 spirit jailbroken device to 4.0 unjailbroken. But I was wondering will I need iTunes 9.2.x because I'm on iTunes 9.1.x because spirit wouldn't work on 9.2.x.
    Also if I do need to update iTunes to get 4.0 will this do anything to my iPod touch when I connect it ? E.g brick it or something.

Thanks bz
    2010-08-10 06:53 PM
    I had spirit JB 3GS 3.1.3, and DFU-restored to 4.0.1. If you want to go to 4.0, you'll need your SHSH for it.

I upgraded my iTunes to 9.2: that version is safe to use with a Spirit JB phone. I didn't use a later 9.2.x becaue I wasn't sure of the compatibility with Spirit JB.

Make sure to do a dfu restore, not an upgrade, and don't restore any backup, set up as a new iPhonr and resync everything with iTunes.

Do you have your 4.0.1 SHSH backed up? If not, DO IT RIGHT NOW! Even if you don't plan to use it right now, once the signing window closes, you can't go back and do it later.
    2010-08-10 08:30 PM
    When I ment 4.0 I meant 4.0.x but what I'm not wondering is will I need the latest version of iTunes to dfu restore ? And if so will it harm my iPod ?
    2010-08-10 10:41 PM
    You need minimum iTunes 9.2 to support iOS4. iTunes 9.2 is safe to use with a device that was already jailbroken with Spirit:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...lbreakers.html

Whether later versions of iTunes may cause problems, I cannot say. This is why I used 9.2 when I upgraded my Spirit JB phone to iOS4.

Here's a further discussion on Spirit with iTunes 9.2:
    Spirit Jailbreak Fix for iTunes 9.2 on iOS 3.1.3 and iOS 3.2 | Redmond Pie

This further discussion suggests that iTunes 9.2 may not recognise a Spirit-jailbroken phone. I can't remember if this was the case after I updated to iTunes 9.2, since I straight away put the phone in DFU mode and did a restore to 4.0.1. It would be safest to assume that once you upgrade to iTunes 9.2, it won't talk to your 3.1.3 device anymore, so you should do any syncs before you upgrade iTunes, and plan to do the 4.0.1 restore straight after your iTunes upgrade.
    Last edited by mateo_au; 2010-08-10 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-10 11:09 PM
    Well I'm on my 3g 3.1.3 spirit jailbroken when I was on iTunes 9.1.x so what I want to know is if I update to 9.2.x then will my iPod not be recognized? If so if I enter dfu mode my iPod touch will it show up on the newest version of iTunes and then I will be able to update and restore ?
    2010-08-11 08:33 AM
    I don't know if your iPod will be recognized when you upgrade to iTunes 9.2.x - it is safest to assume that it won't be.

If you put your iPod into DFU mode (as opposed to Recovery mode) then iTunes should recognize it. I have firsthand experience with iTunes 9.2 and my 3GS, and I had no problem once I entered DFU mode. If you want to use a later version of iTunes, then I can't comment. I deliberately chose to install iTunes 9.2 rather than the latest version when I did my update. You need to make your own decision. Good luck!
    2010-08-11 10:40 AM
    Ooh can you choose just to update to iTunes 9.2 not 9.2.1? As the latest version Is 9.2.1 and 9.2 sounds a bit safer, but with 9.2 I will be able to dfu restore and update my iPod too 4.0.1? Thanks alot
    2010-08-11 11:13 AM
    You can download previous versions of iTunes from here:
    iTunes - The iPhone Wiki

I used iTunes 9.2 to dfu restore my 3GS Spirit jailbroken 3.1.3 iphone to release 4.0.1 just over a week ago, it worked fine for me.
    2010-08-11 11:48 AM
    Will it transfer all my apps and music ? And once I downloaded do I just run the .exe ?
    Last edited by Blazingrift; 2010-08-11 at 10:30 PM.
    2010-08-11 10:25 PM
    Two things:
    - when you upgrade iTunes, it will also update your music and app library to be compatible with the new iTunes. You should do a system backup in case you want to revert to the old iTunes for some reason.
    - when you upgrade your phone, all the apps/music will be gone. You can then use your iTunes to sync your apps and music collection back onto your phone. The apps will lose their internal settings and data, so if you have data in your apps that you want to save, you need to do this manually. Also, any apps/music which is on your iPhone only, and not in iTunea, will be lost

BTW, I hope you saved your SHSH blobs for 4.0.1 like I told you, because apple is about to stop issuing them any minute now. If you don't have your SHSH, then you're screwed until the next jailbreak tool is developed.
    Last edited by mateo_au; 2010-08-12 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-12 01:01 AM
    Okay so say I've downloaded the 9.2 itunes from that website to install it do i just run it? then it will automatically put all my music and apps over to that itunes? Then once i've updated to 9.2 I just connect my ipod enter DFU restore and update? BTW I don't care about saving SHSH blobs I'm not going to be jailbreaking my device again unless it makes some insane advantage in the future, but thanks for pointing that out too
    Last edited by Blazingrift; 2010-08-12 at 11:40 PM.
    2010-08-12 11:37 PM
    You do realize that yesterday Apple released 4.0.2, which has been patched against the jailbreak? They have probably stopped signing 4.0.1 by now, which means if you didn't download your SHSH blobs for 4.0.1, you won't be able to install it anymore. Your only options would be to stay on your 3.1.3 jailbroken release, or else upgrade to 4.0.2 and completely lose the ability to jailbreak your phone.

Your only hope would be if Saurik's cydia server maybe has a cached copy...

Just heard that, for some reason, Apple is still signing 4.0.1: get it while you still can!
    Last edited by mateo_au; 2010-08-13 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-13 12:20 AM
    Ok thanks but I don't want to jailbreak my iPod touch after restore it. But how do I go about installing iTunes 9.2 once dled ? Do I just run it and it will transfer all my apps ?
    2010-08-13 01:03 AM
    Sounds like you're using a windows PC, not a Mac. If iTunes comes packaged as a .exe file, I presume you just run it (I've never tried installing iTunes on Windows before).
    2010-08-13 04:56 AM
    Alright thanks, can anyone give me instructions on how to download iTunes 9.2 and use it to update my iTunes 9.1.x while keeping all my music and apps? I'm on windows thanks
    2010-08-13 10:21 AM
    Yup, you need the latest version or you can't use your Ipod with itunes.
    2010-08-14 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD