I am an obvious newbie to this forum and am on the verge of jailbreaking my iPhone 3GS (OS 4.01).
    I understand you can install nonapple programs but where do you get them? and is it worth doing?

Are there problems in jailbreaking?

Thanks,
    sammy
    2010-08-11 07:32 PM
    You get the non apple apps from Cydia or Rock. Cydia will be installed automatically from the jailbreak. I think Rock can be installed via Cydia.

For me it's worth the jailbreak. Quickreply and quicksend from BiteSMS is so worth it. I also need WinterBoard and Infinidock on my phone. Winterboard allows theming of your phone and Infinidock gives you a dock with more than 4 icons that is scrollable. Oh yeah, Lockinfo is a must too. Lockinfo put things like calendar, weather, SMS, MMS, notifications, and RSS feeds on your lockscreen.
    2010-08-11 08:44 PM
    Yes soul covered a lot of the most important things. Personally I have seen a gradual shift from practicality to recreation and entertainment of jailbreaking as the OSs have developed. Now with 4.0's "backgrounding" I don't seem to need QuickReply in a 3rd party SMS app. Theming is nice, but not necessary for me.
    2010-08-13 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD