Well late last night i decide to restore my ipod 2g due to the fact that it was running really slow and it need to be cleaned up. Well when i went to go restore i seen that it could be updated to 4.0.2. but i decide not to do that, and just hit shift plus the restore button and selected 4.0. After a couple of trys for some reason the progress bar would stay at around 95% and would not full restore, so i pulled the dumb move and disconnected it before it was finish. At that point i thought i might just upgrade and get rid of the hassle of just atempting to try to get it to restore in 4.0. I saw that the download of the new firmware was going to take 2 hours (due to crappy internet), so i went looking on the internet on how to downgrade and tinyumbrella popped up. decideing i would give it a shot, i used tinyumbrella will my ipod was stuck in recovery mode and BAM! i cant upgrade the firmware, cant downgrade, its F***ed!!! every time i try to restore, it extracts the software then shows a error message with The iPod "iPod" cannot be restored at this time because the iPod software server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable. please try again later. can anyone shed some light on this situation? or is it a 300 dollar paper weight?
    2010-08-17 03:53 PM
    Didn't no 4.0 was on the 2g iPod? Either way it cannot be bricked no phone has ever been bricked since the days of anysim which was 1.1.X days

Just try another computer or up/downgrading iTunes I guarantee you will fix it.

Also did you edit your hosts file wen using umbrella? As this alters the apple server address,?
    Last edited by metaljay; 2010-08-17 at 04:58 PM.
    2010-08-17 04:56 PM
    EDIT: iPod Touch 16gb 2g, sorry for not being clear.

Just try another computer or up/downgrading iTunes I guarantee you will fix it.
    im going to try another computer, and i fully uninstalled itunes and reinstalled and that didnt work.

Also did you edit your hosts file wen using umbrella? As this alters the apple server address,?
    i think i did, but to be honest, in the tutorial i followed all it said to do is run it once before restore then run it just before you select the firmware file
    Last edited by Borsato92; 2010-08-17 at 05:13 PM.
    2010-08-17 05:08 PM
    Did you try putting it in DFU mode?
    2010-08-18 11:02 PM
    I had that problem. All I did was uninstall the wifi sync program on my computer and re restore
    2010-08-20 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD