I'm really n00by when it comes to photoshop (especially GIMP).

I want to know how to make a slider bar background like the one in this Starcraft Lockscreen (though in that one they have merged it with the background) so that I can add it to my own images.

I know how to add the glow around it (double click on the layer > then 'Outer Glow'), but I want to know how to make the shape and give it transparency, make that red outline, and make where it says 'swipe to unlock' look lower than the red outline.

Once I know how (and I become preofficient at it ) I will probably make a few lockscreens and contribute to the site's theme section (thinking LoZ, Okami, Fable, etc.)

Thanks.
    2010-10-23 02:08 PM
    File, New, Background Contents, Transparent is how u make the layer transparent, as for the shape, i would think u can just edit another image u find and or make your own with all the nifty tools photoshop has?
    2010-10-24 04:31 PM
    Yeah, I get that. I mean how do I make the actual slider bar background transparent. Look at the image in the link I posted. There is the image and the slider bar background is over the image and is slightly transparent (you can see the image through it). That is what I want to know how to do, along with, as I said, getting the shape of the slider bar background the same as the stock one (plus the red outline and the depressed look of the bar).
    2010-10-25 11:26 AM
    im no expert at photoshop. but i gave it a go for you. i hope it's what your after. i've also written a little guide for you to follow, so that you can experiment for yourself and make it look just how you want it to.

if you want further help, then please post it or PM me. i may be able to help you.
    Attached Files
    2010-10-26 02:18 AM
    Thanks for the very helpful reply

I haven't been able to do it yet (I don't have access to the PC with Photoshop on it atm) but I should be able to tomorrow.

Thanks for the instructions as well. I read them and they are helpful (even without Photoshop in front of me ).

Thanks again
    2010-10-27 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD