OK, so I have decided I will update to 4.1 so I can have Game Center. I have jailbroken with JailbreakMe.com, so obviously I have a load of stuff from Cydia. My guess is if I just click update in iTunes, it will try to keep this stuff so the iPod will be screwed after updating. I think the best way to go about this is to Restore (to wipe the iPod clean) and then update. Is this right? I have SHSHs on Cydia for 4.0.x if needed.
    Also, I need to know if I need to use Recovery, DFU or anything of that nature, as iTunes says nothing about that being needed.
    greenpois0n
    Add me on Game Center! PieLighter
    2010-10-30 12:28 PM
    In iTunes, just put your iDevice in recovery mode. The restore will be verified with Apple and it will restore and update automatically along with the restore. It will be fine if you just update as the update will replace all software on the partition leaving only your data. Make sure this is with the computer you used the most to sync, jailbreak, etc. or else all data will be lost such as notes and music. If you need the notes and all, create a back up just in case. Correct me if I'm wrong, this should restore settings and after the first login, you can set a passcode. And make sure you make a back up of all your notes if you need them.
    2010-10-30 03:05 PM
    DW, I found out before. No recovery mode needed, iTunes did it automatically. I did a Shift-Restore to the IPSW iTunes downloaded. Now it's pois0ned, so I'm happy.
    greenpois0n
    Add me on Game Center! PieLighter
    2010-10-30 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD