Originally I was jailbroken via Redsn0w on 4.2.7 and used Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16. It is the only way I was able to jailbreak my device.

1- I also tried Pwnage Tool 4.2.
    2- Tried sn0wbreeze-v2.7.1.exe on Windows 7 64 bit via VMware.

Either I got into a recovery mode, or just got to the white apple logo. Every time that happened I needed to restore to 4.2.8. I tried many times, and followed directions posted. No luck.

I am still stuck on the tethered Redsn0w 4.2.8 jailbreak. There were some apps on Cydia that seem to have gotten pulled that would enable me to have this untethered. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Todd
    2011-05-16 02:00 AM
    Jailbreak tethered with redsn0w then boot tethered when done. Open cydia on phone once it's booted and add the source:

Http://djayb6.com

There's a package called CDMA untethered 4.2.8 in cydia now. Install that and enjoy your untethered jb.
    2011-05-16 03:58 AM
    Jailbreak tethered with redsn0w then boot tethered when done. Open cydia on phone once it's booted and add the source:

Http://djayb6.com

There's a package called CDMA untethered 4.2.8 in cydia now. Install that and enjoy your untethered jb.
    The package on Cydia has been removed due to some issues. No ETA about a new release.
    Any other ideas?
    2011-05-16 04:43 AM
    Snowbreeze then is probably your best bet. Just use simple mode to cook ipsw and pwned dfu to restore. If you get 16xx error try redsn0w and only check enter pwned dfu. Once in dfu then shift+restore to snowbreeze ipsw that'll be on your desktop. Snowbreeze has issues with dfu and preservation mode just FYI. That why I said simple mode and use redsnow for dfu. You will also need stock 4.2.8 ipsw from apple with snowbreeze just like redsnow.
    2011-05-16 04:48 AM
    ^How'd they know? Jk spam at it's finest.

Going back to your question. Just out of curiosity did you try redsn0w0.9.6rc14 on stock 4.2.8? If not try it first just incase.
    2011-05-16 10:37 AM
    Snowbreeze then is probably your best bet. Just use simple mode to cook ipsw and pwned dfu to restore. If you get 16xx error try redsn0w and only check enter pwned dfu. Once in dfu then shift+restore to snowbreeze ipsw that'll be on your desktop. Snowbreeze has issues with dfu and preservation mode just FYI. That why I said simple mode and use redsnow for dfu. You will also need stock 4.2.8 ipsw from apple with snowbreeze just like redsnow.
    I was able to restore the custom ipsw. Tried that twice, but each time phone was unable to boot up after reboot. It would be stuck at the apple logo. The only way to fix from there was to restore the standard 4.2.8. I even would have been happy to restore 4.2.7 as that worked for me before.

Going back to your question. Just out of curiosity did you try redsn0w0.9.6rc14 on stock 4.2.8? If not try it first just incase.
    Yes.
    2011-05-16 03:05 PM
    Okay heres what the prob is... Custom 4.2.8 the snowbreeze 2.72... Dfu thru redsn0w. Have tiny goin after you locally save 4.2.8's sh... Start i tunes... Restore to your custom 4.2.8... U'll get a 1015... Install cydia with redsn0w again and now u should be unteathered...Make sure u redirect to 4.2.6... If u still have a problem... Try switchin to a MAC!!!
    2011-05-17 09:22 AM
    I was able to restore the custom ipsw. Tried that twice, but each time phone was unable to boot up after reboot. It would be stuck at the apple logo. The only way to fix from there was to restore the standard 4.2.8. I even would have been happy to restore 4.2.7 as that worked for me before.

Yes.
    Make sure you run snowbreeze in simple mode it has issues with preservation mode and dfu. Since you had it boot but be stuck on apple logo that seems like you used preservation mode.
    2011-05-17 10:38 AM
    Okay heres what the prob is... Custom 4.2.8 the snowbreeze 2.72... Dfu thru redsn0w. Have tiny goin after you locally save 4.2.8's sh... Start i tunes... Restore to your custom 4.2.8... U'll get a 1015... Install cydia with redsn0w again and now u should be unteathered...Make sure u redirect to 4.2.6... If u still have a problem... Try switchin to a MAC!!!
    I have a MAC, I would rather do it on that. Couple of questions:

1- Not sure I understand what saving the SSH is, and what to do with Tiny. I have the program.
    2- Since I have a MAC, do I use Pwnage Tool and what version?

Thanks
    2011-05-17 03:07 PM
    Use paralellels... Run snow 2.72... Put in dfu thru pwnage or red... It doesnt matter what version as long as it recognizes the ipsw... All your doin is usin it for dfu... U have to have your host file edited properly... Not 100% if u HAVE to have it edited.. I always do thou... Repair osx's permissions.. Run tiny 4.33 via the mac side.. Make sure you have the two middle check boxes unchecked in advanced tab.. Apply changes... Restart tiny.. Start tss... Now once you have ur shsh saved locally, device in dfu, and your custom ipsw built, start itunes (once again on the mac side) restore... Now you'll get a 1013 or 1015, but dont worry.. Run the newest red thats for 4.2.8/4.3.3 and direct it to 4.2.6 ofw... Install cydia and BOOM u should be unteathered..
    F.y.i. That last part is only nessecary if theres a conflict when apple verifies the firmware n they have a conflict with the baseband.. U might be able to skip that step completely
    Last edited by maxridgewood; 2011-05-17 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Additional
    2011-05-17 04:09 PM
    Use paralellels... Run snow 2.72... Put in dfu thru pwnage or red...

It doesnt matter what version as long as it recognizes the ipsw... All your doin is usin it for dfu... U have to have your host file edited properly... Not 100% if u HAVE to have it edited..

I do not know what this means - host file edited properly.

I always do thou... Repair osx's permissions.. Run tiny 4.33 via the mac side.. Make sure you have the two middle check boxes unchecked in advanced tab..

There are three middle boxes, not two - uncheck all three?

Apply changes... Restart tiny.. Start tss... Now once you have ur shsh saved locally, device in dfu, and your custom ipsw built, start itunes (once again on the mac side) restore... Now you'll get a 1013 or 1015, but dont worry.. Run the newest red thats for 4.2.8/4.3.3 and direct it to 4.2.6 ofw... Install cydia and BOOM u should be unteathered..
    F.y.i. That last part is only nessecary if theres a conflict when apple verifies the firmware n they have a conflict with the baseband.. U might be able to skip that step completely
    I think I understand the rest.
    2011-05-17 11:07 PM
    The host file is in /etc/
    Go up to the top toolbar where the apple is... 4 or 5 over in i believe options ull see "go to folder" and type /etc/
    Now it will open a hidden folder.. One of the files is called host... Drag it to ya desktop... Open in text editor and change the numbers... Ull have to do some reserch on what they are... I cant remember the numbers off the top of my head...

On 4.33 tiny theres 5 boxes... Uncheck the second and third boxes... Change host file to cydia... And request sh from cydia should both be uncheck... Hit apply changes... Close and Restart tiny...Start tss... Get into pwn mode... Restore with the custom snow file...
    2011-05-18 02:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD