Hi there,

I am trying to create a theme via winterboard, and i am trying to find out how to modify the button images (favorites, recent, contacts, keypad, voicemail), as well as the bar background on the phone app's tab bar.

I am on 4.2.1 firmware, and i believe the png files are located in the UIImages folder... can someone please point me in the right direction

Thanks
    2011-05-25 09:20 AM
    Hey, I'm also on 4.2.1, (iPhone 4) and might be able to help a bit at least. I just did some looking into your question because I didn' know the answer so this may be only half information, but:
    I've so far only been able to locate the .pngs for the Dialer, Recents, and Voice Mail tabs if you're actually looking to change the picture on each tab. If you are it would take more investigating and the ability to create your own .pngs with an alpha channel in order to show a difference between the selected and unselected tab. Here are the file names in case you want to play around with that:

BarDialer.png - 24x26
    [email protected] - 48x52
    BarRecents.png - 29x29
    [email protected] - 58x58
    BarVM.png - 37x17
    [email protected] - 74x34

In your WB theme you would put these in: yourtheme/Folders/MobilePhone.app

Now, beyond trying to make custom images, you can utilize the existing ones without having to reference them at all and only change the tab bar that they sit over, and at least easily affect the selected tab color that is natively blue. A possible drawback or point of great ease is that this will affect ALL apps that utilize the "tab" button bar including: Phone, App Store, iTunes and any third party apps that use this native scheme (I noticed for instance that CLIPish Pro is an example.) So if you want to try that, here's what to do:

The button bar for "tab" apps is called:

UIButtonBarBlackOpaqueBackgroundTall.png - 320x49
    [email protected] - 640x98

Of course, these images can be as small as 1x49, 1x98 if you want to fill with a color/texture/gradient.

The native blue fill for the selected tab can be replaced with an image of anything called:

UITabBarBlueGradient.png - 24x32

An @2x.png doesn't seem to be necessary for this, and I've found that if it makes things any easier, in my experience anywhere that both are required you can use the same higher resolution image for both as long as the file names are correct.

In your WB theme you would put these in: yourtheme/UIImages

Hope this helps (not knowing your actual device.) Reply with any questions and good luck!
    2011-05-26 03:06 AM
    Of course, my last comment about both .png and @2x.png being the same res is assuming you are using a retina device! If not, or if you plan to make your theme available to anyone that might not, you absolutely need to include the lower res image.
    2011-05-26 06:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD