I jailbreaked my iPad so I could use VLC. After installing VLC I moved some sample movie clips with Netatalk to my iPad to the directory var/mobile/media and everything worked fine. But then I tried to move larger files and realized that in there are only 396 megabytes free in my iPad, but there should be around 30 gigabytes (my iPad is new). Does anyone know why is this? Obviously I cannot copy any movies to my iPad...
    2011-06-19 08:21 AM
    Well there are two partitions on the device, the user partition and the system partition (root). The user partition is where your 30gbs are. And actually, if you have a 32GB iPad, you will likely have about 28-29GB free with no content on it. The root partition is for the system and default apps. 396mb is actually a lot left for that partition. Are you sure that you are copying files to /var/mobile/media/ ? That directory is in the user partition, so there should be plenty of space for content.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2011-06-19 05:30 PM
    FYI you can have vlc without jailbreaking. It was originally in the app store but Stevie got jealous and pulled it. You can still get it tho, just search vlc.ipa in google, it should sync fine with iTunes and your iPad.
    2011-06-19 06:43 PM
    Thanks for replies.
    There are indeed two partions and another one has around 28 gigabytes free. But I just can't find right directory to copy movie files for VLC (there are only Library and Media folders). I also tried to install VLC straight to iTunes, but it displayed an error message "Signer is not valid".

So, almost again in the starting point...
    2011-06-19 09:48 PM
    try this one, i just copied it from my itunes

for vlc cydia version you need to put your videos in /var/mobile/Media

if you don't have that directory, then create it and drop the videos in there

if you can get the itunes version working, then you goto the app tab on your ipad page and scroll down to the bottom, you will see vlc and maybe some other apps, click vlc, then drag and drop videos in the file list to the right of it
    Last edited by thecrunked; 2011-06-20 at 03:29 AM.
    2011-06-20 03:25 AM
    Use SSH or WinSCP (terminal). Type 'mount'.

Mount returns the physical devices and and their starting directory / mount point.

As an example, on my 3gs, mount returns:
    /dev/disk0s1 on / (root partition)
    /dev/disk0s2s1 on /private/var (the starting point of the user partition)

Note: Several additional links exist into the user partition directory structure.
    /var -> /private/var
    /User -> /var/mobile (this double link resolves to /private/var/mobile)
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-06-20 at 04:39 AM.
    2011-06-20 04:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.