hi guys, I've read some of dreamboard wiki and wondering if I should have iphone programming experience in order to design or make dreamboard theme.
    Cause I think dreamboard isn't just about theme but it also has lots of features like
    widget.

so should i have knowledge about iphone app programming?
    2011-06-21 11:57 AM
    you will need some experience i guess as that will make it a lot easier. I think the widgets are just html and javascript
    2011-06-23 08:01 AM
    you will need some experience i guess as that will make it a lot easier. I think the widgets are just html and javascript
    thanks Guess it was nonsense question
    2011-06-23 08:32 AM
    Hello, I'm pretty experienced with DreamBoard, and I have no experience in C, Obj.-C, HTML, CSS, or JavaScript. Well, I play wit HTML/CSS/JavaScript at night sometimes but not serious stuff, so I'd say you don't need coding experience. I've been using it since it was announced, so I'd say it takes practice and help & support to be great with it. If you'd like you can email me any other questions.
    Whitoken for DreamBoard 1.1 in DreamStore
    2011-06-28 03:12 AM
    Hello, I'm pretty experienced with DreamBoard, and I have no experience in C, Obj.-C, HTML, CSS, or JavaScript. Well, I play wit HTML/CSS/JavaScript at night sometimes but not serious stuff, so I'd say you don't need coding experience. I've been using it since it was announced, so I'd say it takes practice and help & support to be great with it. If you'd like you can email me any other questions.
    thanks, I was reading tutorials about xml in W3schoos.com and it looks like dreamboard is using XML so I was thinking like hm.. I don't think I really have to be experienced in other languages. And I guess it was right.
    2011-06-28 03:22 AM
    Lol a .plist is an XML Property List, and you don't need to know more than DreamBoard Syntax and Grammar to be able to make a good theme

But yeah, the bare minimum you need to know about XML Plists, is syntax, like whether or not an dictionary can go in a dictionary, or if an array can go into an array, the answer is I don't now, because that's not really important in DB Theming
    Last edited by Ech0riginal; 2011-06-28 at 03:52 AM.
    2011-06-28 03:41 AM
    Lol a .plist is an XML Property List, and you don't need to know more than DreamBoard Syntax and Grammar to be able to make a good theme

But yeah, the bare minimum you need to know about XML Plists, is syntax, like whether or not an dictionary can go in a dictionary, or if an array can go into an array, the answer is I don't now, because that's not really important in DB Theming
    From what I've understood, I need to know about DB syntax and grammar. And that's enough to make DB theme, right? But when you create DB theme, do you adjust all the details manually? I mean, for example, the widget, you're gonna eyeball
    the position of it and adjust it pixel by pixel until you got what you like?
    Or it's much like visual languages such as visual c/c++ or visual basic?

You know I'm not really getting the feeling about Dreaboard syntax and grammar.
    I mean the big picture of DB theming.

Thanks,
    2011-06-28 04:01 PM
    What do you mean thee feeling of it/big picture? I do it for fun, you've no idea e excitement of creating a theme and having people congratulate you and support you for it. What's been built by the DB Theme Devs is pretty sweet, and I would encourage you to join
    2011-06-28 05:18 PM
    What do you mean thee feeling of it/big picture? I do it for fun, you've no idea e excitement of creating a theme and having people congratulate you and support you for it. What's been built by the DB Theme Devs is pretty sweet, and I would encourage you to join
    I was trying to say what should I do first to create a theme like I should make outline first or I should make icons and images that will be used in theme. You know I'd love to
    make a theme but I have no experience in any kind of theming. So currently I'm just reading DB wiki and eventually I will be able to compose a theme?
    2011-06-29 01:27 AM
    I'm not good at Photoshop, image editing, any of that really, so I usually code first, but all my themes are ports, my current one is for a new theme coming out, so I've never really had to worry about images,but I'm baad with PS, I'd say start with your code.
    2011-06-30 05:01 PM
    I'm not good at Photoshop, image editing, any of that really, so I usually code first, but all my themes are ports, my current one is for a new theme coming out, so I've never really had to worry about images,but I'm baad with PS, I'd say start with your code.
    what do you mean by ports? and how can someone make good theme without PS skills

thanks
    2011-06-30 07:14 PM
    what do you mean by ports? and how can someone make good theme without PS skills

thanks
    By ports I mean porting, like remaking a theme but for DreamBoard, I did that with Whitoken HD. All credit was given to the original creators and Rigaton1 btw. And there are some themes with very basic images but the way it works are amazing.
    2011-07-02 06:50 PM
    * Filipino Volcano Mayon, known for its long history of devastating eruptions, again showing signs of activity. <br> <br> According to seismologists, and scientists, the volcano, located 330 kilometers south of Manila, is in "constant volcanic activity." Already beginning to take security measures: the inhabitants of nearby villages evacuated tourists are not encouraged to approach the danger zone, whose radius is 6 kilometers. <br> * Filipino Volcano Mayon, known for its long history of devast...<a href=http://lacota.net/news/philippines-a-new-eruption-.html>Philippines: a new eruption?</a>

All about tourism : Main page
    2011-07-02 10:37 PM
    By ports I mean porting, like remaking a theme but for DreamBoard, I did that with Whitoken HD. All credit was given to the original creators and Rigaton1 btw. And there are some themes with very basic images but the way it works are amazing.
    Okay, so what you mean was like porting unix program to window program but in this case theme,right?
    Your way of creating theme is using images that were used in other themes? but we are already a way far from our main topic :/ So tell me, how do you start coding. I mean from what part of the whole theme
    do you start first.. I guess we'd better meet in some kind of chat room maybe IRC? so you can show me your themes and I would start my first theme

thanks
    2011-07-03 10:47 AM
    Okay, so what you mean was like porting unix program to window program but in this case theme,right?
    Your way of creating theme is using images that were used in other themes? but we are already a way far from our main topic :/ So tell me, how do you start coding. I mean from what part of the whole theme
    do you start first.. I guess we'd better meet in some kind of chat room maybe IRC? so you can show me your themes and I would start my first theme

thanks
    Hahaha yes, that is what porting is, but I give full credit to the people who actually made the theme, I just code it to DreamBoard, and yeah no problem, once you get the hang of it, it's easier and easier to learn it. You want to start with an Info.plist, and anothoer .plist which'll be your theme's name. I"m busy today so we can do IRC tomorrow or something.
    2011-07-03 04:40 PM
    Hahaha yes, that is what porting is, but I give full credit to the people who actually made the theme, I just code it to DreamBoard, and yeah no problem, once you get the hang of it, it's easier and easier to learn it. You want to start with an Info.plist, and anothoer .plist which'll be your theme's name. I"m busy today so we can do IRC tomorrow or something.
    Nice to hear that you give full credit to theme creator and I've read Dreamboard wiki and
    learned about Info.plist which contains brief info about theme and shows up when we choose
    the theme but not in latest Dreamboard version 1.3.3. Anyways, what I need is little bit more info
    about ThemeName.plist which contains all important information
    Of course, I've already read Dreamboard wiki explaining about views and other stuffs.
    And I guess we are living on different time zone, so we should adjust the time
    2011-07-03 07:13 PM
    Yeah probably, and the DB Wiki isn't that updated.. I might try and update a few sections later today.. But yeah no problem just shoot me an email of when you can and we can get on an IRC sometime
    2011-07-05 04:40 PM
    Yeah probably, and the DB Wiki isn't that updated.. I might try and update a few sections later today.. But yeah no problem just shoot me an email of when you can and we can get on an IRC sometime
    yeah, I thought DB Wiki isn't up to date. Do you have access to change the contents of DB Wiki?
    I thought only the people who've invited have permission to change the contents.
    Anyways, when you start making theme what do you do first? I mean, of course, you start by thinking theme style or something like that but you said I've better start by coding. That means like
    I will first code what actions or widgets or whatever will take place when user touch or make
    events right? Okay, tell me what do you do first after simply composing Info.plist.
    I can do Info.plist but what the heck should I do with ThemeName.plist. I kinda hope will someone please update that DB Wiki.
    2011-07-05 04:58 PM
    Well, you'd start with your MainView, which is an empty Array until we fill it, and in that a dictionary that's an AppIcon, and put it to be DreamBoard, because w/o something that launches DB, you are seriously screwed lol. So like this:
    <dict>
    <key>Actions</key>
    <array>
    <string>launch com.wynd.dreamboard</string>
    </array>
    <key>Frame</key>
    <string>132,195,65,85</string>
    <key>ViewType</key>
    <string>Button</string>
    <key>Image</key>
    <string>/Images/DreamBoard.png</string>
    </dict>
    That would go in your MainView Array, and you'd need an image in $THEME/Images/ that was named DreamBoard.png, and that button will launch DB
    2011-07-05 10:09 PM
    Well, you'd start with your MainView, which is an empty Array until we fill it, and in that a dictionary that's an AppIcon, and put it to be DreamBoard, because w/o something that launches DB, you are seriously screwed lol. So like this:
    <dict>
    <key>Actions</key>
    <array>
    <string>launch com.wynd.dreamboard</string>
    </array>
    <key>Frame</key>
    <string>132,195,65,85</string>
    <key>ViewType</key>
    <string>Button</string>
    <key>Image</key>
    <string>/Images/DreamBoard.png</string>
    </dict>
    That would go in your MainView Array, and you'd need an image in $THEME/Images/ that was named DreamBoard.png, and that button will launch DB
    hey, I kinda figured it out that <dict> tag is for PROPERTIES and <array> tag is for SEQUENCE OF SAME THINGS OR ACTIONS but I'm not sure about that so I was wondering if you could confirm that or you could make little bit more concrete definitions
    about them.

DB Wiki didn't mention anything about them :/

thanks
    2011-07-06 12:22 PM
24 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD