just updated the Time Warner Cable app and it doesn't work because I'm jailbroken.

Here's a screenshot
    t.co/ApQtiha

Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks!
    2011-07-07 06:53 AM
    Yeah had the same problem... Luckily I had updated it on my iPad only and didn't sync it, so the old .ipa was still on my computer. This made it easy to revert a version. I just deleted it off my iPad and resynced the older version back onto my iPad. I also made a copy of the older version just in case it ever updated by accident. If you didn't do that or have any problems PM me and I'll help you out.

The only problem now is that it says I'm not using an authorized modem which confuses me more because it's the same one I've been using... Time to look into spoofing the ISP check it goes through when the app launches, any help on that would be appreciated.
    2011-07-07 07:44 AM
    Oh yeah, I didn't even think of that. I'm pretty sure I have the old version on my computer still.

I actually looked for it in ********** (because why not?), I guess they don't out free apps in there or something.

The only problem I foresee with it anyway is the App Store will constantly tell me I have an update. I know there's a Cydia tweak to skip updates, but is it reliable/working in the ios5 beta?
    2011-07-07 07:56 AM
    Yeah had the same problem... Luckily I had updated it on my iPad only and didn't sync it, so the old .ipa was still on my computer. This made it easy to revert a version. I just deleted it off my iPad and resynced the older version back onto my iPad. I also made a copy of the older version just in case it ever updated by accident. If you didn't do that or have any problems PM me and I'll help you out.

The only problem now is that it says I'm not using an authorized modem which confuses me more because it's the same one I've been using... Time to look into spoofing the ISP check it goes through when the app launches, any help on that would be appreciated.
    Same story here. I successfully reverted to the previous version. Now I can launch it and log in, but now I get this error instead: "The programming you have requested is only available when you are accessing this video service in your home, using a cable modem authorized by Time Warner Cable." (Which is frustrating to see, because of course I am using the same cable modem I've always been using, and this app has previously been working fine.)

I rebooted the cable modem and tried again, to no avail. I'm sure whatever "official" troubleshooting I try with TWC will just end up with them suggesting I update to the latest 2.0 version... which of course won't work, because I am jailbroken. And I don't want to give up the jailbreak, just for this app.

I am also forced to wonder right now, if the initial launch of the 2.0 version of this app on a jailbroken iPad somehow "reports" our IP address to Time Warner, which allows them to blacklist this iOS device's MAC address (or this cable modem,) until this account is logs in again properly, with the device in an unjailbroken state. Does that make sense? Could TWC be that vigilant and annoying here? If that's the case... folks... you really don't want to update/launch the 2.0 version.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and all, but it's difficult to be optimistic that jailbreak developers will be able to hack a workaround for this... seeing as it requires a TWC account with an authorized cable modem along with TV service to even be able to check out the app in the first place.

Ugh.

In the meantime, I see in the comments here that this issue has affected people long before the 2.0 update came out, so I'm somewhat hopeful that I can at least get the 1.0 version working again.
    Last edited by Fofer; 2011-07-07 at 12:17 PM.
    2011-07-07 12:05 PM
    No worries once a downgraded again and waited overnight it started working again this morning. I don't know what changed, but it works. The only thing I can think is that my ISP assigns me a dynamic ip so it may have changed, but it would be stupid if they blacklisted ip addresses.

Looking into spoofing the initial information that I'm assuming is checked when the app starts seems pretty difficult and probably would require a lot of coding. It would require changing the information in all the outgoing packets. Packet spoofing isn't a new concept but doing it for the iPad I'm not sure. It would be so nice to get something like that working cause then there wouldn't be any problems like that and we could watch it from any wifi.
    2011-07-07 05:53 PM
    ugh I really hope a developer comes up with a fix for this soon.. I'd be willing to pay.

It was would fantastic if they could trick it into thinking that its on your home wifi network so you can watch it anywhere too haha

Anyway, I'm as against piracy as anyone else but this is a legitimate reason to use the app cracker so everyone can access the older version of the app. It's not a paid for application so I don't feel that it would be wrong to do. I hope someone is willing to do this because I'm already on the latest version
    2011-07-07 06:55 PM
    No worries once a downgraded again and waited overnight it started working again this morning. I don't know what changed, but it works. The only thing I can think is that my ISP assigns me a dynamic ip so it may have changed, but it would be stupid if they blacklisted ip addresses.
    Well that's good to know and very reassuring, thanks. I still have the older version, it's now installed, but I'm still getting that error. I'll wait a few more hours before checking again...

I'm wondering... are you still seeing the same channel selection you'd seen before? Or do you have access to the "Expanded Channel Offering," they mentioned with the 2.0 update ("Now over 100 Total Channels Are Available.") I really hope that's a system-side update and isn't dependent on the 2.0 version being installed.

Looking into spoofing the initial information that I'm assuming is checked when the app starts seems pretty difficult and probably would require a lot of coding. It would require changing the information in all the outgoing packets. Packet spoofing isn't a new concept but doing it for the iPad I'm not sure. It would be so nice to get something like that working cause then there wouldn't be any problems like that and we could watch it from any wifi.
    Well, now there are two hacks I'd like to see. The more realistic one I'd hope for isn't about spoofing the initial information to be able to use this app away from home... it's simply about being able to use the new 2.0 app, and all the new features it brings (Interactive Programming Guide, the Remote Control, DVR Manage, as well as all the new channels) on a jailbroken iPad.

I hope someone is willing to do this because I'm already on the latest version
    FWIW, whenever iTunes updates an app, it puts the older version in your computer trash. It's wise to check your apps out before emptying your trash. And don't you have any kind of backup system in place? If so, the older versions would be there, too.
    2011-07-07 07:55 PM
    Update. Restoring to the 1.0 version of TWCable TV app worked for me. Finally.

At first, I was unable to use the restored app, as I kept getting the error: "The programming you have requested is only available when you are accessing this video service in your home, using a cable modem authorized by Time Warner Cable." I learned this is a commonly reported issue, even before this 2.0 update. Yes, I am at home, using my TWC modem. So this version of the app should work... unless TWC has "blacklisted" my IP (or cable modem MAC) address...? And so I called tech support (waiting on hold, escalating to various departments, getting disconnected, literally for hours and hours) and had them recreate my online login. Now, a few hours after that, I note that I'm able to use the app again. Still on 1.0 version, of course. Whatever, I'm relieved.

I note that some folks are reviewing the 2.0 update poorly on the iTunes Store. Some are complaining that it's showing them "not supported on 'jailbroken' devices" error -- even though they are NOT jailbroken! That is good news for us, actually, because it provides a little hope that TWC will issue a fix/update without this annoying check, if they can't get it right.

For now I am just content to have 1.0 working again. I have access to the same 60 channels I had before. Version 2.0 offers 101, however. Looking at the list here (and here) I note that these additional 41 channels aren't ones I'm going to be missing all that much.

Until things change, I'm going to stick with 1.0, and tell all jailbreakers who are TWCable customers to expressly avoid this 2.0 update.

I SSH'ed into my iPad, went into to the Applications folder, found this TWC TV app (the JB app "AppLinks" helps with this) and I renamed its iTunesMetadata.plist file. What this does is, it prevents notifications for future updates, which would have been very annoying. I'd have had to manually update every other app, unable to click "Update All" otherwise.

Fingers crossed Time Warner gets rid of this stupid anti-jailbreaking move in the newer versions... or some agile JB developer out there figures out a workaround so we can keep using and updating this app as it matures. If not, looks like we're sticking with 1.0 for as long as it continues to work. Because given the choice between this app and the jailbreak today, IMO, the jailbreak wins.

Now if this app is updated to work over any WiFi*, and not just my own home network's? I may have to reconsider that stance, because that'd be kinda cool. I'm finding less reasons to jailbreak my iPad than I do my iPhone, anyway. iOS 5's features (as well as its jailbreakability or lack thereof) will shake things up as well. We'll see how it goes.

*No, I won't be so bold as to wish it could possibly work over 3G...
    Last edited by Fofer; 2011-07-07 at 10:29 PM.
    2011-07-07 10:15 PM
    I renamed its iTunesMetadata.plist file
    I didn't think about doing that, that's a good idea to make things a little easier. I've been looking through all the application files and haven't found anything too useful to spoofing ISP information yet. I'll keep searching though.
    2011-07-07 11:32 PM
    I found a way to get it to run.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...Fj.mp%2Fp9Ta4s

You have to download this .deb file.
    You can email it to yourself, then open the file with iFile with "Installer" option.
    Let it install.
    Close out and open TWC.app
    ...and Boom!
    2011-07-08 12:27 AM
    Hello all, I found this discussion and thought everyone would like to know that a guy over on reddit has files with instructions on how to patch the application.

tl;dr go to town

Here's the bypass for the TWC application's "jailbreak" protection, and instructions on how it was accomplished. : ipad
    2011-07-08 04:07 AM
    Such an easy fix once you find that it just checks a couple paths, and easy to change them. Only problem is that I know I'm not getting all the channels it says come with the update. Oh well, it's working, but now we can definitely shift focus to getting it to work outside your own network, unless there's legal issues which I don't want to get involved with.
    2011-07-08 04:50 AM
    Thanks for those links, DayumQuitPlayin and joedoesblow! I've tested both methods, and they both work fine.

I note that the patched .ipa on reddit has no App Store metadata associated with it, which means it doesn't require iTunes Store authorization (you do need to install "AppSync" as mentioned) and also that iTunes and the Store won't nag us when updates come out (updates which very well could have new anti-jailbreaking code in them.) That's helpful.

The .deb file from "crossingman" on the other hand, patches our own installed copy of TWCable TV 2.0, so no "AppSync" needed.
    It's easily installed by placing the file inside /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall (create the folder if it doesn't exist) and then restarting and respringing. Since this package is managed by Cydia, one hopes it'll be updated if/when the TWCable app is updated and needs a new patch. Folks who choose this method might still choose to rename its iTunesMetadata.plist file, and sync that back to their iTunes, simply to avoid being nagged/screwed up again by some future update to this app.

crossingman's later tweets indicate he also tried to disable the app's proxy detection.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Crossingman/s...72194595987456
    (He doesn't have the means to test it out, though.) Theoretically, if his patch works, this would mean we could connect to our home network via VPN/proxy and be able to use the app (since it would be tricked into thinking it was on the same LAN as our authorized TMCable modem.) I will have to experiment with that to see if it works. Being able to use this app from someone else's WiFi, or 3G, would be pretty fantastic. Fingers crossed it works...

All that said, I now have version 2.0 installed, and working on my jailbroken iPad v1. Very happy about that. I have two issues with this app, though. One small, and one big. The first is, it's annoying that the menu bar never goes away, when watching its video in full screen. I tried to manually hide the menu bar using "SBSimplify," but apparently that doesn't work in iOS 4 (it keeps crashing me into safe mode.) I'm not aware of other ways/tweaks to hide this menu bar. I do note this menu bar's presence was the same with the 1.0 version; I'm surprised TWC hasn't gotten enough complaints to let it hide after a few seconds. Not a huge deal though. Just slightly annoying.

The other is, the only reason I was looking forward to this app was the promise of expanded channels. (They say 101 channels are now available; the old version had about 60.) The Interactive program guide, channel tuning and DVR Management features (all of which are new with 2.0) require a compatible cable box or DVR, and I'm using a TiVo Premiere, which doesn't qualify, so I don't personally care much about those (Fortunately TiVo's own iPad app works just fine for this.)

These pages list the 100+ channels that should now be available:
    TWCable TV for iPad | Time Warner Cable | SoCal
    TWCable TV for iPad | Time Warner Cable | New York City

And yet, even when running the 2.0 version of this app, I'm still only getting access to the same 60 I had from before. I actually went through the list with both the 1.0 and 2.0 versions, and note that the channels available hasn't changed. Here's the current breakdown I am seeing:

INCLUDED:

A&E
    ABC Family
    AMC
    Animal Planet
    Bravo
    Cartoon Network
    Chiller
    CNBC
    CNBC World
    CNN
    CSPAN
    Current TV
    Discovery Channel
    Discovery Fit and Health
    Disney
    Disney X D
    E!
    ESPN News
    Food Network
    Fox Business
    Fox News
    FX
    G4
    Galavision
    Golf Channel
    Great American Country
    Hallmark Movie Channel
    HGTV
    History
    HLN
    Hallmark
    HSN
    The Hub
    IFC
    Investigation (I.D.) channel
    Jewelry TV
    Lifetime
    Lifetime Movie Network
    Military Channel
    MSNBC
    mun2
    National Geographic Wild
    OWN
    Oxygen
    Planet Green
    QVC
    ReelzChannel
    Science Channel
    SHOP NBC
    Sleuth
    Style
    SyFy
    Sundance Channel
    TCM
    TLC
    TruTv
    TV Guide
    TV One
    USA
    We

NOT INCLUDED:

The Africa Channel
    The Biography Channel
    Bloomberg TV
    Boomerang
    CNN International
    Cooking Channel
    CSPAN2
    CSPAN3
    Crime and Investigation Network
    DIY
    ESPN Classic
    EWTN Global
    Catholic Network
    Network
    Go1 TV
    GMC-Gospel Music Channel
    GSN
    HD Theater
    History International
    History en Espanol
    INSP
    Discovery
    Jewish Life TV
    Lifetime Real Women
    MavTV
    Smithsonian
    Military History Channel
    National Geographic
    News 14 Carolina Raleigh
    NY1 Manhattan
    NY1 Noticias
    The Outdoor Channel
    Ovation
    PBS Kids Sprout
    RFD
    SOAPnet
    The Sportsman Channel
    Tennis Channel
    Travel Channel
    TVJapan
    Universal
    Wedding Central
    The Word Network
    YNN Austin

I know others have mentioned the same "missing" channels with the newly updated app. Now I don't know if it's got something to do with the jailbreak (or these patches,) or something else on TWC's end, or my TWC account. But missing 40 channels, regardless of how lame they may be, is a significant issue for this app. If nothing changes in this regard I personally may as well just revert back to the "safer" 1.0 version of the app.

I am pretty sure that in the past, new channels were made available to us (and also removed, in the case of MTV and other Viacom properties) without us having to update the app.

So I am wondering if perhaps TWC just hasn't "flipped the switch" on their end yet to allow these new channels for everyone, on either version of the app. I guess the first step is to start asking around to see if someone with a non-jailbroken iPad, and version 2.0 of this app, is actually now getting access to all 101 of these channels. If they're not getting it either, we'll just have to wait and see. A buddy of mine with a non-jailbroken iPad v2 is coming over tomorrow, so I'm going to install the TWC app with my login credentials and see what channels I can access.
    2011-07-08 09:51 AM
    I jailbroke my iPad2 and got the message from TWC when I tried to use the app. I just deleted the app, unchecked everything except the apps I wanted to keep on the iPad, TWC being one of them, synced and presto, it works like it always did.
    2011-07-09 12:18 AM
    I jailbroke my iPad2 and got the message from TWC when I tried to use the app. I just deleted the app, unchecked everything except the apps I wanted to keep on the iPad, TWC being one of them, synced and presto, it works like it always did.
    So let me understand this better... are you saying that the steps you took restored v1.0 of the app onto your iPad? Because that one didn't have the jailbreak detection and still works fine. No surprise there.

v2.0 is the new version that has JB detection... it has "Live TV" and "Guide" and "DVR" and "Settings" buttons on the bottom. If that's the version you have, and you're jailbroken, I'm surprised if it works for you without any hacks or tweaks.
    2011-07-09 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.