I want to update my jailbroken iPhone from 4.2.6 to 4.2.8 and I am unsure of exactly how to do this. I really don't want to upgrade to 4.2.10.

I am at iOS 4.2.6, and have had it jailbroken for some time.

I didn't backup my shsh blob right away, but did it about a month or so ago and the shsh blob I have saved with iSHSHit is 4.2.8
    I emailed it to myself and have it saved on my pc

I downloaded the ipsw for verizon 4.2.8

What I want to do is to do a fresh restore on my iPhone using ipsw 4.2.8, make sure everything is functioning properly then jailbreak it.

Here is what I think I need to do from reading through forums:

1. Edit my host file with entry: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

2. Put my iPhone in DFU mode
    -turn it off
    -plug into PC and start itunes
    -hold power and home buttons for 10 seconds
    -release power button while holding home button in until computer recognizes usb device

3. Click on iPhone in iTunes, hold down left Shift Key and click Restore button

4. Browse to ipsw 4.2.8, select it

5. This should restore my phone to 4.2.8

Will this work? I am not sure what to do with my SHSH that I saved. Am I missing a step?

I am confused because it seems that I *might* get an error and the iPhone will be stuck in recovery mode.
    If this happens then I need to run TinyUmbrella and select my SHSH blob for 4.2.8 and it will correct the error and my phone will boot up.

I should then be at 4.2.8 and I can re-jailbreak it.

Just looking for verification and tips on exactly how to do this sucessfully. Any info is appreciated.
    2011-08-10 08:36 PM
    Sorry, but am not the best with this kind of stuff, Any help other members?
    2011-08-11 12:06 AM
    If you run the tss server on tinyumbrella, everything should go okay... If itunes cannot get passed the first portion of the restore (verification process) then you can just use TU to kick you out of dfu and you will want to give it up because you will end up spending far too much time getting everything to work.

However if u can get passed the 3/4 point (firmware restoration) then your in the clear. Even if the restore crashes and gives you an error code 1,2, or 1013, you will be fine.. If itunes cannot complete the resore on its own you can use greenpois0n to boot it back up into whatever ios version you restored to....

Another point to consider is that 4.2.8 has no advantages over 4.2.6 other than the security issue where apple saves a large backlog of location data... You are probably better off not updating at all
    2011-08-12 03:25 AM

Another point to consider is that 4.2.8 has no advantages over 4.2.6 other than the security issue where apple saves a large backlog of location data... You are probably better off not updating at all
    I know and I have been mulling this and tinkering. I have fooled around with jailbreaking, loading a ton of crap, restoring, jailbreaking, loading a ton of crap over and over and now I have large unexplained amounts of space being eaten up. Went through with winscp and found duplicates of all my app folders, cleaned up most I think, removed metasploit, set, prini and other packages I was testing, deleted all the packet captures I could find, but still can't account for 2-3gbs of used space. It is painful going through the file system this way, no way to get a easy output of files/folders that are eating up space. Usually this isn't a problem, but recently loading movies and recording videos I am always running out of space and really want that 2-3gb back. Doing a restore should reclaim whatever I screwed up so I can start fresh.

When I first got the iphone from verizon and started reading on jailbreaking, I sort of went wild and just went crazy trying different jailbreaks and loading up every tool/app that sounded half interesting. Should have saved my SHSH blobs back then, but figured I had all the time in the world as I was a total newbie. I ended up not using 90% of what I kept trying to get working, have a couple of laptops that I rely on that the iphone will never replace for certain tools.
    2011-08-12 05:31 AM
    Does cydia say you have the blobs for 4.2.8?
    2011-08-12 05:48 AM
    I know and I have been mulling this and tinkering. I have fooled around with jailbreaking, loading a ton of crap, restoring, jailbreaking, loading a ton of crap over and over and now I have large unexplained amounts of space being eaten up. Went through with winscp and found duplicates of all my app folders, cleaned up most I think, removed metasploit, set, prini and other packages I was testing, deleted all the packet captures I could find, but still can't account for 2-3gbs of used space. It is painful going through the file system this way, no way to get a easy output of files/folders that are eating up space.
    do you have SSH server on your iPhone?
    (should, if you've been using scp)

if you can get to a unix shell, it's pretty easy to find EXACTLY what files are eating up what space and where.
    2011-08-12 06:23 AM
    do you have SSH server on your iPhone?
    (should, if you've been using scp)

if you can get to a unix shell, it's pretty easy to find EXACTLY what files are eating up what space and where.
    I can ssh in, please tell me the best commands or way to determine the file sizes? Besides ls -lh is there a better way to do this? Can I get some sort of dump to a csv file that I can then use to sort in excel?
    Last edited by killsbills; 2011-08-12 at 07:23 AM.
    2011-08-12 07:19 AM
    Ok, got it went to /private/var/mobile/Applications folder and ran

du -h --max-depth=1 | sort -n -r

gave me a nice listing of the size of all app directories. Dumped into spreadsheet sorted then used winscp to investigate each. Got rid of garbage. Freed up 1gb for now. Have to investigate other directories to see what I can clean. Any tips?
    2011-08-12 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD