Today I updated Cydia and also about 15 Cydia apps that I've been using for over a year.
    Suddenly after the update none of my native iPhone apps work. They will launch but I can't do anything once in the app -- screen buttons don't work;it's like the screen is frozen.
    Cydia apps work fine. I've resprung/reset/rebooted etc. Do any of
    you experts have a suggestion? I searched the forum and didn't see anything related.

Thanks!

Jill
    2011-09-11 07:14 AM
    Get the older version of cydia back you can get all versions of cydia from Index of /cydia-3.7/debs/ i think the latest version is very poorly coded and on mine all the localized strings were not working. get into terminal and make sure you are root (su then "alpine" for root), then put apt-get remove "cydia" if it returns an error saying that there is no such command "apt-get" then just go into Applications and delete cydia.app because all the other files should be fine ti keep. Then put dpkg -i "directory/cydia.deb" if that doesn't install then check what errors were encountered (it usually says "broken pipe") broken pipe is a general operations error like trying to overwrite files failed. hope that helps if not reply with the problem and i'll help.
    2011-09-11 07:41 AM
    Paul, thanks so much for your fast and thorough response. I am going to try the steps you listed, with a lot of help from Google! I'll get back with you soon if I run into anything (more) confusing.
    Have a great night!

Jill

Get the older version of cydia back you can get all versions of cydia from Index of /cydia-3.7/debs/ i think the latest version is very poorly coded and on mine all the localized strings were not working. get into terminal and make sure you are root (su then "alpine" for root), then put apt-get remove "cydia" if it returns an error saying that there is no such command "apt-get" then just go into Applications and delete cydia.app because all the other files should be fine ti keep. Then put dpkg -i "directory/cydia.deb" if that doesn't install then check what errors were encountered (it usually says "broken pipe") broken pipe is a general operations error like trying to overwrite files failed. hope that helps if not reply with the problem and i'll help.
    Paul, thanks again. I got pretty far -- installed Terminal, that didn't work, so installed on my desktop WinSCP that has a built in terminal. I encountered the error you expected that there was no such command as apt-get, so I deleted cydia.app from Applications. Then I downloaded an older version of Cydia (1.0.3366) and saved it to my computer's C directory. Then at your second command I entered dpkg -i "C:/cydia_1.0.3366-1_iphoneos-arm.deb"

I got the following error:

Errors were encountered while processing:
    C:/cydia_1.0.3366-1_iphoneos-arm.deb
    /private/var/stash/Applications$ dpkg -i "cydia_1.0.3366-1_iphoneos-arm.deb"
    dpkg: error processing cydia_1.0.3366-1_iphoneos-arm.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory

I assume I was supposed to translate your "directory/cydia.deb" to the appropriate directory and filename on my computer. Just in case, I tried it just as you typed it and got same error.

What did I do wrong, and what should I do from here? Thanks again!
    Last edited by jillpearson; 2011-09-11 at 08:52 AM.
    2011-09-11 07:55 AM
    OK wait -- I realized I should have transferred the Cydia .deb file to the iPhone root dir first. Did so, and tried your command again as follows:
    dpkg -i "cydia_1.0.3366-1_iphoneos-arm.deb"

And it started to process the command but got an error related to there being no Cydia.app directory -- I had deleted it in your step 1. I created a new directory called Cydia.app in Applications, and went back to the root folder and tried the command again. It appears to be now setting up, but taking a while. I'll get back with you.
    2011-09-11 09:23 AM
    ok keep me posted i will help where i can Unfortunately cydia is not very well coded and i have had issues where a picture has caused cydia problems, as of now i have reinstalled cydia on mine and others devices like 20 times. The main problem is that the mobile terminal works so much better then winscp terminal and sometimes the winscp one won't do certain things a usual sign of this is unfortunately "packages installing slowly" a package like cydia should install in like 5 seconds. Also i would like to apologize it would be so much simpler to resolve this with the Autoinstall feature of cydia because you could have got mobile terminal from there

#update: Actually the Autoinstall folder may still work without having cydia, as it is just a line of commands that is set yo run on load, so that may be the alternative.
    Last edited by paul123paul; 2011-09-11 at 12:47 PM.
    2011-09-11 11:17 AM
    Hi, Paul. My latest update:
    I left the phone on my desk "Installing Cydia" overnight. Still said that in the morning. I canceled the process and looked in the Cydia.app directory and found lots of files, so I wondered if it had completed but hung on the "installing" message. No dice. Still most of my apps don't work. Coincidentally, the phone crashed at one point a couple of days ago and went into Safe Mode. Now all my apps work in safe mode. By definition, some things must not work, but I haven't found anything yet that doesn't work while in safe mode. So for now, I'm just running it that way (and with SBSettings, I can just swipe to toggle the power switch and restart to safe mode again.)

Based on your post above, I will continue to try to get mobile terminal installed and try to set up Cydia -- perhaps through the Autoinstall -- again. I'll post again when I've tried that.

Question:
    Thanks again!

Jill
    2011-09-16 12:19 AM
    Update: mobile terminal installed fine now that I am in Safe Mode. The apt-get command still didn't work (command not found) so I deleted Cydia.app using WinSCP. Then I recreated the directory, but empty, using WinSCP (otherwise the dpkg command doesn't work because it finds no such directory.) Then I went to mobile terminal on the iphone and typed your dpkg command in your post. It installed correctly (the older version 1.0.3366-1). Went into Cydia and verified version number. Rebooted phone. And.... drumrolll....

Still doesn't work. Most apps are frozen. Works fine if I restart into safe mode. Urrgghhh! Any other ideas?
    2011-09-16 01:51 AM
    So is there still the native app crashing at load problem??
    2011-09-16 02:27 PM
    So is there still the native app crashing at load problem??
    Yes. They don't exactly crash, but once they load all buttons don't work. Like it's frozen. This is with about half of my apps - native and cydia apps alike. I restart into safe mode and everything works fine.
    2011-09-16 04:45 PM
    i'd hate to say it but a restore might be needed to fix this problem, it's obviously conflicting strings or general code and there basically is just waaaaay to many things that can be the cause so restoring may be the best option, especially before the full ios5 release as this may make jailbreaking impossible until someone works it out, save shsh blobs and then restore, this way you can then downgrade to your old firmware an re-jailbreak. If you purchased anything from cydia you should just be able to re download it without paying again.
    2011-09-17 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD