I'm wondering if it will be possible to use the new iPhone 4S on both the VZW and the AT&T networks, so that my primary network can be AT&T and I get all of the advantages of that network, but when there is a loss of coverage, I can switch to VZW.

If the phone is unlocked, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible. I checked with VZW and they said I could bring my own device over and activate it on a month-to-month contract with the ability to suspend service without billing. So if I needed VZW, I would simply phone up and re-activate service.

But how would/could this work logistically? Would it just be a carrier choice, with CDMA and GSM carriers grouped together?

thank you,

-TL
    2011-10-05 01:18 PM
    I don't believe so. CDMA and GSM are completely different. I'm not sure the iPhone has been advanced to the point of utilizing both simultaneously.
    2011-10-11 09:21 AM
    The radio signals are different, so even though it is unlocked you could only use I on that type of network . Example: AT&T would only work on GSM network while the Verizon would only work on CDMA networks.
    Hope that helps.
    2011-10-14 12:08 PM
    The iPhone 4s is a world phone and has both radios. Built in it.
    I Like Eletronics
    2011-10-14 02:19 PM
    The iPhone 4s is a world phone and has both radios. Built in it.
    True, but I doubt competitors like at&t and Verizon would enable you to use one of their own devices on a rivals network
    2011-10-16 04:14 AM
    True, but I doubt competitors like at&t and Verizon would enable you to use one of their own devices on a rivals network
    Correct, but we have been using T-mobile on AT&T iPhones for years. Maybe a dev will figure out a way, only time will tell
    2011-10-16 04:21 AM
    I know with the blackberry tour on Verizon that if you put a AT&T sim card in it and use gsm instead of CDMA it will work. I would imagine it would work the same with the iPhone. I'll have to try it out with a family members sim card. Well worth trying anyway. (might not be that easy lol)
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.
    2011-10-23 06:59 AM
    Not quite the same way with the iPhone. It's odd, carriers treat the iPhone differently.
    2011-10-25 09:23 AM
    It would be awesome though
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.
    2011-10-26 06:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD