User Tag List

Sorry for the confusion, SK. That original post (that I paraphrased yesterday in my post) was from quite a while ago.. And when I did my first test with Chrome on Mac I don't remember needing to turn off the Web Security. But you're right I did test it only on my widget which is a call to Google's API.. Perhaps calls to other web API's require something different. And then I thought King_O_Hill's explanation of what is required with Chrome on PC would be sufficient for people to understand a 'back up plan' if they experienced any problems with Chrome on a Mac - it seemed natural that their very next step would be to turn off the web security... .. I'm sorry you took such trust in my word now. .

But really no Mac user doing coding would really consider using Chrome to test widgets anyway with tools like Taco (free) and Dreamweaver available to them that can get the preview "in app". So in the end - what's really important for Mac coders to know is DON'T use Chrome to test.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-10-12 at 04:15 AM.
    2014-10-12 04:11 AM
    As I said, I couldn't get that widget to display on Live Preview in either TACO, DreamWeaver, or Aptana..... That's why I posted the widget, and to clarify "what we need to know is not to use chrome on Mac", that's why I went the chrome route.

Also, you suggest that disabling web security it's the first thing I should have thought about. It was, but I tend (ed) to look up to you for guidance, and your statement sound quite confident and definitive. So being that it's my first widget I'm modding this way, and I had to change a fair few things in the widge to get it to work, I thought it was something I was doing wrong in the code (turns out there was one thing I had turned on, which was meant to be off to test)..... So no..... It wasn't quite that obvious (to me) what my issue was.
    Last edited by Sk37cH; 2014-10-12 at 05:29 AM.
    2014-10-12 05:21 AM
    Still not sure I follow you exactly.. but clearly I confused you.. .. My apologies, sir..

So are you saying that
    1) your widget now works in Taco, DW & Chrome? And that all you did was turn off web security in Chrome?

2) Or that there was something wrong in your code, that after you fixed it, made it work in all 3?
    2014-10-12 05:55 AM
    Both 1) and 2), but let me clarify.

1.) Live preview still won't show with that widget for me, in either Taco, Aptana, or DreamWeaver. I've done a couple of years in certificates regarding web development, so I'm familiar at least with how much of a benefit it is to view live in the editor of choice, vS the hassle of switching window to chrome.....

2) There *was* something I did on the first attempt, which was turn the var: DemoMode: true;

But that was advised as my first issue why it wasn't working. I fixed that and tried again in both LiveView and Chrome, and it didn't work. I then disabled web security (slightly different on Mac than PC), and it worked in chrome.
    2014-10-12 09:54 AM
    Fascinating.. I just tried 3 different widgets - mine, and two based in UniAW.. All 3 worked in LivePreview in Taco with the Chrome Web Security switch off OR on.. So what I know for sure - is that the Chrome web security switch has absolutely no effect whatsoever on Taco's Live Preview working or not, Sk. You've got something very strange going on in that widget you're testing that's code based. Maybe I can check later today.

But it doesn't even make logical sense to me that a setting, in Chrome , would have any effect on DW or Taco. And as I said.. The settings in Chrome on my Mac, in the test I just did now proved there was no relation between Chrome's WebSec setting and Taco's operation. I don't own DW - so I can't test that.

You have a mystery on your hands there. Wish I could duplicate your test results - but I just can't.
    2014-10-12 01:03 PM
    The setting in chrome has no effect in Dw or any other live preview. I give up trying to explain. Sorry bro, but I gotta leave this be, as I clearly can't community my point to you. And you clearly aren't understanding that I think this could be something I'm doing SPECIFIC TO THIS WIDGET, as it supplants and vanishes immediately.... and I've explained that maybe it could be unique, and brought up the fact I posted the widget for that exact reason.

I'm out......
    2014-10-12 05:20 PM
    Sk3tch, please let me understand so I can edit the first post.

It sounds like web security has to be off for it to work in chrome for you. If so, can you provide instructions on turning it off so I can add to OP

Thank you.

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0
    2014-10-12 05:32 PM
    The setting in chrome has no effect in Dw or any other live preview. I give up trying to explain. Sorry bro, but I gotta leave this be, as I clearly can't community my point to you. And you clearly aren't understanding that I think this could be something I'm doing SPECIFIC TO THIS WIDGET, as it supplants and vanishes immediately.... and I've explained that maybe it could be unique, and brought up the fact I posted the widget for that exact reason.

I'm out......
    I'm so sorry I couldn't understand your explanations, SK. I tried. Really I did. But I will also test "only your widget"..
    2014-10-12 08:36 PM
    Sk3tch, please let me understand so I can edit the first post.

It sounds like web security has to be off for it to work in chrome for you. If so, can you provide instructions on turning it off so I can add to OP

Thank you.
    Thanks guys. I really do appreciate your help here, and previously. I'm just not so good at explaining myself, and when I'm not understood I tend to try and be a little more detailed in my explanation, but it just confuses the situation, because... I'm shart at explaining things lol. Cheers.

:: To Disable Web Security in Chrome on Mac ::

1.) Open up the shell (command line).
    2.) Enter this line:
    Code:
    open -a Google\ Chrome --args --disable-web-security
    I tried to add the "--args" to a shortcut, but I was unable to. In the end, this one line isn't too much of a hassle to enter.
    2014-10-13 07:32 AM
    Thanks a lot King and thanks to all!!!! Nice very nice !!!!
    2015-03-03 12:45 PM
    hello all

me use safari and no pb only for seee mod sure no for going internet coz no compatible but for see ok and no pb look

thank u all team for help

best regards

Test Your Lockscreen, Springboard or iWidget Using Chrome-safari.png
    2015-03-04 10:23 AM
    No idea why but all of a sudden I can no longer edit widgets using Chrome. I just get "no xml file" no matter what I do.
    2016-03-17 05:25 AM
    I just tried this on another computer in the house. Same thing. Too weird! A Chrome update maybe? Can someone on Windows confirm that you can open a widget in Chrome?
    2016-03-17 05:53 AM
    2016-03-17 06:15 AM
    Found a fix here....
    https://productforums.google.com/for...me/9nHBcjNW384

So now the 'target' line in my "Widget Tester" Chrome shortcut looks like this...

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disable-web-security --disable-file-cookies --user-data-dir

All widgets working again Let the modding continue!
    2016-03-18 03:54 AM
    Thanks Marty, I'll post this on the OP.

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0
    2016-03-18 06:09 AM
    Happy easter at alll
    2016-03-27 05:11 AM
77 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD