Backstory: My bro-in-law had this 2G that he said"got some liquid/moisture in the bottom plug hole but not much. He reported it wouldn't make a call and the battery wouldn't hold a charge. He put it in a bowl of rice for a couple months and got a new 3G. He gave it to me to look at yesterday. So far it:

What works:
    holds a charge just fine
    wi-fi works fine
    mail works fine
    anything else I should test? besides cell service

What doesn't work:
    Apps: they launch but close immediately upon their launch screens appearing, is this because there is no valid SIM in the phone?

I plugged in the phone with my working SIM from my 3GS and itunes wanted to update the software on the 2G(with my 3GS SIM installed). I said OK and it started to download the software update. I then took out my SIM and let it finish updating the software which it did perfectly.

I need to test the cell service on this phone. How do I got about doing that?
    WHen I put my 3GS working SIM in the 2G it gives me the plug/itunes logo on the screen and iTunes wants to activate the phone. Do I just go ahead and let it activate the phone?? Will this mess up the activation on my 3GS?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
    Derek
    Always remember that you are unique....just like everyone else.
    2009-11-25 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD