User Tag List

I picked up a cheap 3g 8gb some time ago that wouldn't detect sims cards, opening it up quickly revealed the reason - someone must have used a Turbo sim type adaptor previously and got it stuck - all the pins on the sim reader were wrecked - misplaced and one was actually flopping about loose inside the phone. Since then my lad has been using it as an ipod touch with camera, but at the weekend I picked up another 8gb 3g - this time it looks like it is IMEI blocked - it gets the carrier but no signal on o2, on Virgin it gets carrier and full signal but all calls fail. So I figured this could be the 3g ipod touch and I'd replace the sim junctor on the other one and get it running fully again....

So I desoldered the old Sim Junctor, positioned in my new one (see 3g Sim Junctorand very carefully soldered it into place - most solder remained so I only needed a touch extra to keep it in place. Rebuilt the whole iphone, booted it up - it worked which was good news - but inserting the sim still came up with "No Sim" Dissembled the whole thing again, went back over the solder points and made sure they were all good, redid a couple and built it up again. Still no joy - it boots up fine, but does not detect a sim when inserted.

My question (finally) is - has anyone successfully replaced a sim junctor before? Am I missing something important - I figured it would simply be remove the six old mounting points and then rejoning in the six points on the new one. Or do I need to have yet another go at making sure all six connections are fully soldered in - although each connector literally sat on the old solder anyway - so my topping off would only really have been to seal it into place.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2010-02-15 09:41 AM
    It could have nothing to do with the SIM card reader and could be an issue with the main board.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2010-02-16 12:23 AM
    Thanks for the reply, so in theory when whoever had it yanked the turbo sim out taking the sim junctors with it - shorting them together and no doubt against the metal sim retainer housing - this could have damaged the sim card reading part of the Mobo.

I prefer this theory to the thought I am rubbish at soldering and botched the install of the new junctor - I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie it still works as a iPod touch with camera it can stay like that.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2010-02-16 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the reply, so in theory when whoever had it yanked the turbo sim out taking the sim junctors with it - shorting them together and no doubt against the metal sim retainer housing - this could have damaged the sim card reading part of the Mobo.

I prefer this theory to the thought I am rubbish at soldering and botched the install of the new junctor - I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie it still works as a iPod touch with camera it can stay like that.
    I could also check it out for you. I did 15+ sim connectors last weekend. Check out my work in my sig
    How to fix #3 CONNECTORS:
    http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/
    2010-05-20 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD