I was going to bring my wives iPhone 4 in to Apple because she is having problems with the external mic when using speaker phone and recording videos. The problem is she dropped it in a sink full of water before I had the chance. She pulled it out of the water in a matter of seconds but the water damage indicators may have been tripped. The phone is actually working fine except for the problem we were already having. The question I have is that I can not seem to see the water damage indicators to see if they were tripped. I believe they are in the headphone jack hole and the dock connector. Does anyone know if there is a trick to seeing them? I was at the Apple store and saw an employee using what looked like a doctors tool for looking in ears and throats. Is the indicator that small? Do you need a black light or something.

Thanks for any help!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS
    2010-07-02 03:28 AM
    having your light source just behind your head, with an unobstructed beam straight from the light to the phone helps alot. The headphone jack sensor is at the very bottom, easy to see. I can't quite find the dock connector one, it looks like it's under the prong that sticks out. Both turn from white to pink when tripped, and if it got dropped into a sink, then they're both probably tripped.
    2010-07-02 01:11 PM
    the dock connector one is directly beneath the connector, in the middle, its very easy to see because its the only white bit, or maybe pink in your case, hopefully not though, good luck.
    2010-07-02 02:13 PM
    Thanks for the tips guys. I think I need magifying glass.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS
    2010-07-02 02:53 PM
    Good luck
    2010-07-03 07:34 AM
    Does it matter if its under the 1 year apple warranty? I had a friend who had a 3gs and had it in his pocket when he was on a boat that tipped over. He took the phone to at&t and they gave him 2 options. He could either purchase a new iPhone from them, or he could go over to apple and get a new iPhone for free. Obviously he went to apple. If the water damage was a accident isn't it covered?
    2010-07-04 12:46 AM
    no
    2010-07-04 12:48 AM
    I've had 2 iPhone 4 replacements already!

The first one, the guy swapped over in minutes without even really looking at it. On the return form he filled in 'device has a few light marks on the back'. If he'd bothered wiping it, he'd have noticed they were finger prints and the phone was immaculate!!

My second one yesterday - the guy had a thing that doctors have for checking in your ears - and checked in the headphone and dock ports for water damage. He then filled in the report which said 'no cosmetic damage' - despite the iPhone having a medium sized, and 2 small scratches on the screen. You could even feel the larger one with a fingernail!

Anyway - goes to show it depends on who you get in the Apple Store when you ask for a replacement. Some are more vigilant than others.
    Last edited by p3eps; 2010-07-05 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling error!
    2010-07-05 11:25 PM
    Finally! An end to my story.

So I went to Apple last week and they did find that the headphone jack had the water damage indicator tripped. Unfortunately they would have to charge me $199 for a replacement. I went ahead and told them to order it since they had none in stock and my wife loves her iPhone.

Went in today to pick up the replacement and the cool dude that took care of me ended up getting the manager to waive the $199 and got it for free. Needless to say, I was very happy.

THANKS APPLE!

The End.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS
    2010-07-11 07:30 PM
    Nice, sounds like my story, but mine jump off my car at 40mph and ate the pavement! I didnt have to wait, they swapped it on the spot.
    2010-07-12 12:07 AM
    Mine has a small crack on the earpiece speaker. Ill see if i can get it replaced at lunch tomorrow.
    2010-07-12 01:56 AM
    Finally! An end to my story.

So I went to Apple last week and they did find that the headphone jack had the water damage indicator tripped. Unfortunately they would have to charge me $199 for a replacement. I went ahead and told them to order it since they had none in stock and my wife loves her iPhone.

Went in today to pick up the replacement and the cool dude that took care of me ended up getting the manager to waive the $199 and got it for free. Needless to say, I was very happy.

THANKS APPLE!

The End.
    Hey man so the same thing happened to me, but I dropped my brand new iPhone4 in the bath tub.... I just received it a few days before too...

Anyways I was wondering what exactly did you tell the Apple workers? Did you tell them that you had dropped it or just claimed ignorance?

Very much appreciated
    2010-07-22 03:08 AM
    So I just bought my iphone 4 less than 2 weeks ago from AT&T using an upgrade, and the day before yesterday I dropped it in water! I did, what apparently you should never do after dropping your phone in water, and tried to turn it back on, but nothing. Many people (even the dude at the AT&T store) said to put it in rice, which I have and for right now I'm leaving it there for at least another day. It was only in the water for less than 30 seconds, but I'm sure that was enough to trip the sensors.

I was just curious how the people at apple will deal with this? Will I have to just buy a new phone or is there some way I can get it repaired? I'm hoping it will dry out and I can use it again, but I want to know all my options here.
    The guy at the AT&T store said I will have to talk to apple about getting a new phone if the damage was my fault.
    I just miss my phone! Any advice would be very helpful!
    2011-03-31 12:04 AM
    This doesn't apply to me, yet im curious!
    Does anyone know if u can open ur iphone up & simply replace the water indicators??
    2011-04-06 08:22 PM
    Does the dock water sensor on the iPhone 4 definitely turn pink if tripped?

I dropped my phone down the toilet on Sunday just gone.
    I've dried it out but the phone is stuck in dfu mode and no matter what I try it wont kick out.

I have just noticed that the water sensor in the dock connector is still white.
    2011-04-06 11:04 PM
    I took my iphone 4 to Apple, to the Genius Bar, and my phone actually turned on! However, the guy helping me said that my phone still had some damage on the inside so he gave me a new phone! I didn't have to pay anything, and I think it was because I had just recently bought my phone and Apple has some new awesome policy that let me get a new one. Although I wasn't sure.

Also, apparently water damage voids any warranty on your phone, but I'm sure you guys knew that already
    2011-04-08 12:45 AM
    i did exactly the same gutted
    2011-04-20 04:08 PM
    The thing about water damage is that it can be very tricky. I had a friend that dropped his ipod touch in the water and it didn't work for 4 weeks. Then one day he decided to plug it in and i worked. It started off with a dark backlight and each time he charged it the brightness would increase. Eventually his ipod was in 99% shape and then it randomly stopped working....for ever! THE best thing you can do is put ur iphone in a box of rice overnight! The rice soaks up all the moisture.

Pretty much if u iphone isn't working at all dont throw it out, wait a month, put it in some rice... You never know what might happen.
    2011-04-20 05:31 PM
    Out of curiosity did you ever fix it with tinyumrellas DFU kick?
    2012-05-22 04:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD