I am using iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) on FW 4.0.1 jailbroken with jailbreakme star and unlocked via ultasn0w.

I installed spirit2pwn from Cydia (that was meant for FW 3.1.3) and during the installation I got an error and Cydia crashed and the phone went in DFU mode. Now the phone is not getting restored using stock apple 4.0.1 through iTunes 9.2. I am getting error 28.

The phone is not even booting/switching off/no connect to itunes recovery mode image/nothing except a blank black screen. I think it has been stuck in DFU loop.

I've attached the log file for perusal. Please help me to identify the problem.
    Attached Files
    2010-08-07 02:54 PM
    hi,

I have exactly the same issue. Stuck in DFU mode and cannot restore to any firmware, i get error 28.

any news on a fix?

thanks
    2010-09-21 09:42 PM
    From what I have been reading it sounds like a dock connector error.
    2010-09-23 09:58 PM
    got my iphone replaced @ an apple store in the end. it was bricked. looping in recovery mode.
    2010-09-23 10:02 PM
    did you have warrenty? or what did it cost,does anyone if they can find out it was jailbroken(and unlocked), i dont have warrenty(i think, got it used) so they cant take that away but will i have to pay the full cost of a new one?

i have the 3gs new bootrom and i was trying to use sn0wbreeze 2.0 and i didnt think it would work because i dont have shsh on file but i tryed to downgrade to 3.1.2 and it failed as expected but then i tryed to restore to 4.0.1,(i have shsh for 4.0 ,4.0.1,4.0.2 ,4.1) and it gave me error 28, then i tryed 4.0 and the same thing, then i tryed to do what i really didnt want to , i tryed to restore to 4.1 (i rely on an unlock) and it also failed, so i removed the hosts modification thinking that might have something to do with it, still error 28, i tryed another computer, error 28 i even took it into bestbuy and they tryed to restore it useing some kind of tablet, and he said error 28, ive tryed everything i can think of
    2010-09-26 11:44 PM
    did you have warrenty? or what did it cost,does anyone if they can find out it was jailbroken(and unlocked), i dont have warrenty(i think, got it used) so they cant take that away but will i have to pay the full cost of a new one?

i have the 3gs new bootrom and i was trying to use sn0wbreeze 2.0 and i didnt think it would work because i dont have shsh on file but i tryed to downgrade to 3.1.2 and it failed as expected but then i tryed to restore to 4.0.1,(i have shsh for 4.0 ,4.0.1,4.0.2 ,4.1) and it gave me error 28, then i tryed 4.0 and the same thing, then i tryed to do what i really didnt want to , i tryed to restore to 4.1 (i rely on an unlock) and it also failed, so i removed the hosts modification thinking that might have something to do with it, still error 28, i tryed another computer, error 28 i even took it into bestbuy and they tryed to restore it useing some kind of tablet, and he said error 28, ive tryed everything i can think of
    hi,

It was jailbroken, but i guess because it was in recovery mode loop they couldn't check logs or use the phone so couldn't tell it was jailbroken.

After all i screwed it up trying to jailbreak it!

My warranty was due to run out in 2 weeks time so it just got replaced with a refurb/NOH unit. Usually with out of warranty replacements you pay a fixed cost based on current cost minus a discount. I would suggest 150-200 for a 3GS? my company has a similar system.

Try tapping your serial number into the apple support page it will tell you about your warranty, and possibly how much to fix.

Personally for jailbreakers which get into error 28 loop is the end of the road. It can't be fixed. But hey what do i know. Nothing!

If yu can get it swapped i would take that route. I tried for days, using every method i could find on the net but nothing worked.

There were a few posts from people who had buggered up like me and also had no luck.

good luck.
    2010-09-27 12:58 PM
    how can i find my serial number? if its in a dfu loop?, i dont think its on th back or anything and as i said i got it used. So your saying it would cost me about 400 dollars for a 3gs :s i think i might be getting the iphone 4 at Christmas but i wont make it till then without an iphone
    thanks , kalvin
    2010-09-28 12:03 AM
    The serial number can be found by iTunes -> preferences -> backups. Hover over one of your back ups and you'll see the serial number.

I think it's also on the sim tray too. Not sure though.

Ref replacement cost. I would expect something in the region of that. Typically 20-25% of the cost of a new device is about right.

Try the apple store, you never know. Could get lucky with a store staff one day. You've nothing to lose.
    2010-09-28 12:33 AM
    okay, its on the sim tray, kind of an odd place for it, my imei number is also there

where did you say i could check to see if i had warrenty? (post link if possible)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!F**K YES , i have warranty...... it says i have warrenty untill 2011, do i need a receipt or something to use the warranty? because i have no such prof of purchase
    Last edited by kalvinneufeld; 2010-09-28 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-28 04:14 AM
    No as long as it's not water damaged they'll just replace it no questions asked. They just use the serial number as proof, no receipt needed
    2010-09-28 04:29 AM
    okay, that sounds good, do you think it will be 100% free? and willi get a brand new one, like in box, and sorry for all the questions but do you think they will give the the one thats locked to rogers(canadain cell provider) insted of the one locked to fido(a diffrent provider owned by rogers that used the same network but diffrent sim cards) or will they just give me the same kind i have , but working
    2010-09-28 06:05 AM
    I was able to restore it without any problems on another computer. Hope this helps someone. Cheers
    2010-09-28 07:12 PM
    anyone have an answer for my question?
    okay, that sounds good, do you think it will be 100% free? and willi get a brand new one, like in box, and sorry for all the questions but do you think they will give the the one thats locked to rogers(canadain cell provider) insted of the one locked to fido(a diffrent provider owned by rogers that used the same network but diffrent sim cards) or will they just give me the same kind i have , but working
    2010-09-28 09:57 PM
    They don't give u a box, just the phone and cables. And theyre not always bran new, could be refurbished. Whatever ur iPhone is currently locked to is what the replacement iPhone will be locked to. If it's factory unlocked, they'll give u a factory unlocked

But yeah, all this is 100% free
    2010-09-28 10:25 PM
    okay i got kind of annoyed today, i went o get my phone replanced and there is no place that can do it under the warrenty in my city or a much larger city (london ontario)so i have to go to toronto for my iphone(3/4 hour drive) but all is good because lucky me my school (and me) are going on a field trip to Toronto on Thursday and were going to a mall with an apple store so all should b good in few days
    2010-09-29 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD