i was just thinking how i like the sleeker look of the iphone 4 but i'm perfectly content with my 3GS.

was wondering if there were any aftermarket shells out there made to replace the original 3GS one but made to look more like the iphone 4? i think it'd be pretty cool if that were available.
    2010-08-25 07:20 PM
    Considering every single part is different I wouldn't guess this is possible.
    2010-08-25 07:31 PM
    it could be if only the outside of the shell was made to replicate an iphone 4 but the inside the same as a 3gs so all things fit in nicely.
    2010-08-25 07:45 PM
    I have actually been wondering the same thing, i love the design of an Iphone 4... would be cool if someone made the shell/housing/case of a 3gs to look like an Iphone 4
    2010-08-25 08:05 PM
    i doubt it. the iphone 4 was designed specifically to be more compact than older iphone models. if you look at any dissection images online you will see that the majority of the iphone 4 is the battery itself. so much of a different shape. i havent taken apart my 4 but I did open up my old 3G one time and I can tell you just by comparision from iphone 4 shots to seeing the 3G insides itself, the iphone 4 parts are much smaller.

so the short of all that is that even if someone did make a redesign of the 3GS shell, it would probably be bigger than the iphone 4 anyway haha.
    2010-08-26 07:43 AM
    yes but that would just help distinguish the real from the wanna-be. no scams on ebay or craigslist! haha
    2010-08-26 08:35 PM
    guys it probably does exist out there, but apple made it. You will never get it. Are you all forgetting about the apple fool who left his iphone 4 proto type in a bar? It was in a case made to look like a 3gs.
    2010-08-26 09:15 PM
    yeah, just extra padded case mold to make it look more shaped like the 3GS. nothing special. just the mold itself was thicker. and even so thats opposite what hes asking. haha
    2010-08-27 06:58 AM
    so are there any shells to make 3gs looks like iphone 4 ?
    2010-09-15 10:56 AM
    Smart, but I bet that'll destroy the resell value haha.
    2010-09-16 05:30 AM
    I'd imagine the hardware if the 3GS wouldn't fit well into an iPhone 4 shell considering the iP4 is slimmer, has a larger battery, a smaller SIM slot (not to mention it's not in the same location as the other iPhones), a different processor, and of course all of this meaning the location if the hardware in almost every way is not the same as the other iPhones. So I'd say it's nearly impossible to make this happen.

Edit: I'm sure somebody wants to say that there could be a shell out there to be internally modified to fit the 3Gs hardware, and that would probably work, but I'd say the time and effort invested in finding it and buying, then disassembling and reassembling... Seems like a lot of hassle to me. But that's just me
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-16 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-16 06:29 AM
    I agree with anniex, I can't see these becoming available as it's now worth the effort, 9/10 people would just buy an i4..
    But if you do decide to try I think the main problem will be size, IF you get everything in the i4's shell, it will be very squashed and have a high chance of overheating, not very ideal...

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!
    2010-09-16 07:26 PM
    i think its better to leave the 3gs the way it is..much better in-hand feel..
    2010-09-22 08:59 AM
    I doubt there is something like this, I mean the antenna is one of the main issues here. They said the machine to make the antenna was in the millions and even if and when they do have spare parts available from China how are going to incorporate the antenna. You might as well spend $750 for a new iPhone4.
    Not to mention the camera and proximity sensor locations are different etc..
    2010-09-23 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD