Hi, I've just dug an older 3g out of the drawer, it all powers up fine, and connects to iTunes, and receives calls, but it' got the white screen syndrome.

It's not a completely white screen, it's mainly white with coloured vertical lines, more on one side than the other. Then powered down the coloured lines are still just about visible.

I'm guessing the problem is the screen is broke, but I'm not sure what part. The top glass is fine, but I've no way to test the touch sensitive part. My thinking is the only problem is the LCD itself, so my question is, what's the most common failures with these symptoms?

I don't want to buy a digitizer when it might be only the LCD, and although I've taken plenty of iPhones apart, I've never messed with the screens. Are they easy to replace broken parts, or is it best to replace the whole assembly?

Thanks.
    2010-09-28 02:15 PM
    Sounds like just the lcd. It is pretty easy to replace, there are many videos around showing how to do it.
    2010-09-28 02:21 PM
    That's my thinking too. Going to sell it though instead of attempting a fix, messing with the screens might be easy enough but it's not for me. Know your limitations. A good motto in this case I reckon!

Thanks.
    2010-09-29 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD