User Tag List

I just read ifixit's teardown of the new Apple TV and I must say it looks quite promising...Same A4 as in the iPad(Likely 1Ghz), 256MB of RAM, 8GB of NAND, an interesting couple of soldering pads on the logic board which would fit a dock connector nicely.... Good news for us Jail Breakers!!! Looks like I'll be picking one up after all considering the great software and hardware mods that await!!!

Anyways what struck me as particularly interesting was the Broadcom BCM4329XKUBG Bluetooth/WiFi/FM radio chip, which is very similar to the Broadcom BCM4329FKUBG found in the iPhone 4 which also has an FM Radio.

It may not be of much use or interest to many people to have an FM receiver in their iPhone(would be extra cool if it could act as a low-power transceiver too!!!) However I would find it great to receive or possibly send an FM signal, not only because its practical for me(I love a few local morning shows and as far as sending goes I don't have an aux in on my car stereo) but also just because we could.

Do any of the devs hear have any idea of what it might entail to write an app to interact with this piece of hardware? I am assuming there is no API available for this, at least not an official one though I know the new nano has an FM radio and appears to use some stripped down variation of iOS or at least an implementation of cocoa touch. If no API is available I am guessing some low-level ARM assembly will be required to interface, but I don't know much about interacting with hardware in cocoa or any other language. If someone would be willing to take this on or at least post some ideas here it would be a great feature to have for owners of, as far as I know, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4, iPad, ATV(possibly others).

I know in some previous FM Radio implementations on prior iPods used the headphones as the antenna so unless these Broadcom chips are wired to some sort of antenna or share the WiFi/BT antenna there could be some reception isssues. Again would love to see a built in transceiver too!

Let me know your thoughts!!!
    2010-09-29 10:51 PM