User Tag List

Hey guys.

Today, I bought an iPhone. When he first brought the phone, he said the battery was low so I had to hook it up to the AC charger to see if it worked. It worked well when I plugged it on the charger so I paid him and purchased the iPhone. After he left, I realized the battery was completely dead so unless I keep the iPhone hooked onto the charger, it will not turn on.

I've been stressing out about this the whole day, but I just told myself "What's done is done" and moved on. I tried to call the seller but he would not pick up(obviously) so I left him a text saying "You got me good. Whatever, enjoy the money". I wanted to rage at him but I knew that was going to do no good so I just decided to forget about his deed.

So here I am, the same forum I always come to whenever I have questions regarding iPhones. You guys have been a huge help in the past and I really appreciate all the time you guys spent in replying to my questions. I hope you guys can help me out this time as well!

I'm assuming the battery in this iPhone is completely dead. Hell, the phone looks very beat up as well except the screen because he aid he just replaced the screen recently.

CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE TEACH ME HOW TO REPLACE THE BATTERY? I have never done this before, so please explain thoroughly step by step.

Thank you very much!!
    2010-10-17 04:35 AM
    I suggest just heading down to the Apple store, and seeing what they can do, even if the warranty is up. Just say you got it from someone, and they scammed you, and you have no way of getting the money back. I am sure they will replace the battery for you.
    2010-10-17 04:57 AM
    Use ifixit.com explains everything very well. And you can order batteries pretty easily dont stress it can be fixed lol
    2010-10-17 04:59 AM
    Thanks guys. Both sounds like good solutions. I will see what I can do with your advices!
    2010-10-17 05:01 AM
    Ifixit.com for instructions. And you can get a battery for about $6 on dealextreme.com
    2010-10-17 05:19 AM
    Dealextreme ships from HK so it can take up to a month to deliver. Just FYI that's all. But I like them, they always deliver quality products and always free shipping. It's just a long wait.

I'd recommend getting a battery from elsewhere if you'd rather not wait 2-4 weeks. Ive gotten products within 2 weeks but also up to a whole month so yeah.

Is this a 2G, 3G, or 3GS phone? I used YouTube vids (watched them 5 times over and watched them while working on my phone carefully) to disassemble my 3G to change the housing. It went flawlessly. Just be careful, you don't wanna damage a flex cable or ribbon. Always make gentle, slow, and careful movements.
    2010-10-17 05:53 AM
    yeah, first tell us what generation i[phone you have as they all have a different method to replace the battery, if its a 3g or 3gs I have a spear battery if u want it, just pay shipping. 2G requires soldering and its a bit more complicated, just to get to the battery is a mission LOL
    2010-10-17 02:57 PM
    My iPhone is 3GS. I'd love to pay you the shipping for the spare battery you have
    2010-10-17 09:53 PM
    PM sent!
    2010-10-17 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD