View Poll Results: will you continue to use the installer app or update to the sdk firmware

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will continue to use the installer app if apple charges for apps

77 35.98%
  • I will update to the sdk firmware even if Apple charges for apps

18 8.41%
  • I will wait to see what the development community says to do

55 25.70%
  • I will update to the sdk firmware after the dev community finds a jailbreak for it

136 63.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    As a developer I will upgrade immediately to use the SDK, but I will greatly miss my SummerBoard until it is updated.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-02-21 04:58 PM
    I hope that the developers find a jailbreak for the new firmware pretty quickly i get all excited jailbreaking my phone i cant wait to try the next method although I wish zibris methed was around when i first jb it sounds much less complicated
    P.S. Can someone help my installer app is stuck in refresh it almost finishes and just stays is it my installer or is there a problem on their end thanks

I hope that the developers find a jailbreak for the new firmware pretty quickly i get all excited jailbreaking my phone i cant wait to try the next method although I wish zibris methed was around when i first jb it sounds much less complicated
    P.S. Can someone help my installer app is stuck in refresh it almost finishes and just stays is it my installer or is there a problem on their end thanks
    Last edited by justinwayne; 2008-02-21 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Support the installer community they have been there since day one apples sdk app is just trying to mimick the installers popularity but for a price ill bet
    2008-02-21 06:04 PM
    @justinwayne

Just restore your phone to 1.1.3 then use ziphone to jailbreak it again. Much cleaner, and it may fix your installer problem if it's not with the sources. The previous jailbreak for 1.1.3 was a hack, and I ran into a number of little glitches that went away after restoring/jailbreaking again.

Regarding Installer.app hanging, I've run into that a couple of times myself, but it usually seems related to sources timing out rather than a problem w/the application.

Note to Devs: Please add a functional "Cancel" button when refreshing sources... it does suck when installer.app hangs while waiting for sources to respond.
    Last edited by tsunami78; 2008-02-26 at 01:13 AM. Reason: I'm a dork
    2008-02-26 01:10 AM
    Hey guys i have been reading alot of post about updating or not updating. Here is the bottom-line. I am by no means a "computer geek", nore am I an idiot. Since i bought this amazing little phone, it has been the hackers and the dev teams who have inspired me to look deeper into making this phone "mine", i mean unique to me,not some cookie cut-out device whos' activity and performance is moderated by "the big corporation". I paid alot of money for this phone so i should be able to do what ever the f^E&k i want with it. If apple didnt make full use of its capability for you and i the consumer, To Bad....someone else did and i like just like that!!! 1.1.3 JAILBROKEN BABY and everything works!!!!

Thank You.
    P.S. MMi Kicks ***
    2008-02-26 06:54 AM
    [QUOTE=tsunami78;190421]@justinwayne

Just restore your phone to 1.1.3 then use ziphone to jailbreak it again. Much cleaner, and it may fix your installer problem if it's not with the sources. The previous jailbreak for 1.1.3 was a hack, and I ran into a number of little glitches that went away after restoring/jailbreaking again.

Regarding Installer.app hanging, I've run into that a couple of times myself, but it usually seems related to sources timing out rather than a problem w/the application.

Note to Devs: Please add a functional "Cancel" button when refreshing sources... it does suck when installer.app hangs while waiting for sources to respond.[/

Thanks for the advice it was just a recently added source stalling the installer I put my phone in airplane mode, opened the installer, went to sources and uninstalled the problem source I was not sure which one it was so I uninstalled a bunch of them then ran allipod*** source adding app

P.S. A cancel button would be great, also if you refresh installer in airplane mode all packages will be missing dont freak out they will return when a normal refresh is done
    Last edited by justinwayne; 2008-02-26 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added info
    Support the installer community they have been there since day one apples sdk app is just trying to mimick the installers popularity but for a price ill bet
    2008-02-26 03:02 PM
    its not even out yet...so how can we vote on this yet
    2008-02-26 07:08 PM
    I for one greatly appreciated all the time and work the hacking community did spend to give us one of the greatest tool out there. I am not sure that the SDK will be all that and I think I will most definetly stick with installer. I honeslty think that without the hacking, we would not had all the development that somehow pushed even mighty apple to better this amasing tool. Keep it coming and much thanks.
    2008-02-26 09:06 PM
    I will continue to use the installer app if apple charges for apps
     Think Different
    2008-02-26 09:20 PM
    i keep the installer
    2008-02-27 02:34 PM
    installer is the shiznit. screw apple and there charging for apps. the community around installer is the best. the hackers and moders are the coolest people around, they know wht every one really wants cuz they are every one. you guys rule mad props yo.lol im gonna stick with my jailbroken 1.1.3 untill there is an update worth updating to PERIOD haha
    2008-03-01 01:48 AM
    well now that we know what the sdk is all about, I still will use both the sdk and installer. Because I am on t mobile, I will
    probably have to wait until 2.0 is jailbroken and unlocked (unless someone can implement an unlock with the sdk without putting it on appstore). And I really hope people keep installer alive. With software in general, I think opensource is a great thing! And I stress to developers to create free apps For the appstore now that we know apple will allow us to do that. The hacking community has been a great thing and was the reason I bought the iPhone. And the core of this community has been offering everything open source applications.
    2008-03-06 10:30 PM
    At this point I just don't trust the guys at Apple. I'm going to stick with installer.app until there is more information on the SDK. I don't mind paying for quality applications but I think that the most talented developers are members of this site and not working for Apple.

GenghisPhlip
    2008-03-07 03:54 AM
    If I had money I would update for the SDK in June. But...me so poor-o.
    2008-03-07 12:32 PM
    spore is a tempting turning point for me, however, i dont have much choice as I use PAYG so will need it unlocked.
    Hence my donations.
    I love the idea of the app store if it works and people dev for it, but theres something about doing it the hacked way. Gotta love the people who have the knowledge skill and desire to hack the iphone up and get us running 3rd party apps (i think) before apple thought about it.
    2008-03-07 01:18 PM
    I will update to try it out. The potential of the SDK looks so much better from a UI stand point. I'm all for the free apps and what dev's are creating (i've donated to a few), but I want my apps to look iPhone-ish.
    As for people freaking out that the apps on the AppStore will not be free, remember that Jobs said the price is up to the DEVELOPER... so if the devs don't charge, you still get it for free. But seriously, just skim through the APP LAUNCHES forum and you will read tons of post where people are commenting "...I would sooooo pay for that", "this is really worth donating for", etc, so I don't think Free Apps VS Apps that cost is going to be a really big issue. (I mean come on, $45 for preference changes via Caterpillar!?!?) It's pretty much a given the Big Corps are going to charge, and the devs that are doing stuff now via installer *hopefully* will keep it free.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    Last edited by GQmacguy; 2008-03-09 at 07:49 PM. Reason: price change
    2008-03-09 07:45 PM
    I stick to installer community because at less they will tell you if the **** is buggy, apple just want you to come in side the store to sell more so the put out f$%*k up ****.
    2008-03-10 12:20 AM
    i think (if its possible eventually) ill be using apps from both, unless devs always come out with copies of the apps you need to pay for, on installer hehe. but if there is a useful app i really need on the app store and no one is going to make it available via installer / cydia, then i guess ill probably pay for it unless its a free app
    2008-03-10 10:18 PM
    Now that the (current) SDK limitations are discoverable, I think jailbreak will have a much longer life.

Too many restrictions.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-03-10 10:36 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD