ok so i jail break my fone with ZiPhone 2.5

downloaded some programs, deleted some..w.e. then i come across an error in installer that wont let me download anymore. i checked other threads then downloadedd BossTool.

i was forced to restore my phone twice before because of the same problem and i cant fix it ,

so i downloaded BossTooL FIRST THING after the jail break before i installed anything else and i check it it says i have 51/300 free on the 1st pportion of my memory... i click all 3 options (move apps, move fonts, move ringtones) and my memory only goes up to 138/300..

how can this be where is the other half of my memory? i only installed 1 app!

and besides that even with 138MB of free space (which should be enough) I STILL cant download anything on installer.. i repeately get the "error - package download failed"

wtf.. im sure its not my internet connections because im on linksys on my computer nearby so what is the problem!?

i was thinking of somehow accessing the folder that suposed to hold the files in the 300mb section of the memory with Term-vt100 but i cant even downlaod it because of my problem with installer. I surely dont want to restore my phone for the 3rd time because i dont know how harmlfull that may be JUST to install term-vt100 (if it will even work) .. and even so i dont know the commands for term-vt100 and what i would have to do ... if this is the best approach plz post commands or some kind of guideee this is getting frustrating =\

how do i get my memory back
    how do i fix the error installer gives me?

i pray my iphone isnt doomed
    2008-04-03 05:43 AM
    You have to remember that 300 mb of memory is for the OS for the iPhone. So thats anohter thing thats takin up some of your space. I have never had your problem. I can tell you this google your problems I cant remeber tha commands off the top of my head and right now Im programming a big project for work so I cant even look it up for you
    if you have OpenSSh on your Iphone you can symbolic link your folder without Term on the iPhone I do know youll have to restore the phone theres also a fix for the installer so you can chmod it yourself to fix the package download failed also make sure you check that your queue is clean I found out that if you dl something on 1.1.4 I know for a fact that it puts its there to install later so you might be gettin that error message due to that. Cause its going to try to install your first application you tried to install then your second. If some one dont solve you problem I will get out all my info and tell you the commands.
    I hope you solve your problem sorry I cant really help to much out at this time.

cout << "When you think OS think Linux. The OS of Champions."
    2008-04-03 06:27 AM
    thankx for taking your time to try and help but i have a few questions...

so you're saying 138mb/300 is OK to have with only ONE program installed? either thats not what you're saying or i find that hard to believe (but then again i dont know sheet about this stuff so ill take your word for it just verify whether or not thats what you meant)

ALSO

if you have OpenSSh on your Iphone you can symbolic link your folder without Term on the iPhone I do know youll have to restore the phone theres also a fix for the installer so you can chmod it yourself to fix the package download failed
    can you explain (or post a link) to a DUMMY's GUIDE TO OPENSSH because after researching it i cant figure it out

HOW DO I install/download/open/run/use "openssh" (step by step if possible) i dont know a dam thing about it and what do you mean by " you can symbolic link your folder"???

theres also a fix for the installer so you can chmod it yourself to fix the package download failed also make sure you check that your queue is clean
    where can i get this fix and what do you mean by chmod? (i cleared my queue, the problem persists)

thankx again for ur helpp id greatly appreciate some more of your help when you find the time..im sooooo lost... can anyone else maybe lead me in the right directionnn since Linux is busy or whatnot?
    2008-04-03 10:23 PM
    linux4me is saying that part of the 138mb is your phone's OS, not just that one application, so yes, it is normal.

you can search either ssh or openssh in this forum. there's been many discussions on what it is, how to use it, etc. appleiphoneschool.com did an entry about symbolic link and how to create one. you can search for it on that website. it's also often referred to as symlink (um, may not be spelled correctly)

chmod is a command used by ssh'ing into your phone via terminal on your computer, or you can download vterm on your phone to do it, but since you're having problems with your installer, i guess that option is out.
    2008-04-03 10:33 PM
    thanx jtesnani you cleared alot up for me....

ok so if my memory is normal then why does installer still give me that error... i logged onto ziphones irc and some1 there told me to downloaded "community sources" from installer saying that its updates for installer because ziphones sources are out of date ... when i dL the program it says that its run by a 3rd party and to uninstall it if i do not trust it.. so i did because i feel i already caused some kind of dmg to my phone (whether i did or didnt) and id just rather be safe than sorry

does anyone know anything about this "community sources" and it being an update for installer that may suposedly fix my downlaoding problem????

oh and whats better to use for jailbreak? ziphone or iLiberty?
    Last edited by s0n0t0ri0us; 2008-04-03 at 11:36 PM. Reason: error
    2008-04-03 11:33 PM
    Community sources is very safe and one of the first things you should install. Every source in there are trusted sources. The warning is for all sources I choose to manually add later on
    2008-04-04 12:45 AM

chmod is a command used by ssh'ing into your phone via terminal on your computer, or you can download vterm on your phone to do it, but since you're having problems with your installer, i guess that option is out.
    i can do this through OPENssh right? i have it running and connected to my iphone but what do i do now??????

also i restored my phone (again) and downlaoded bosstool and chess, why arent they showing up on my springboard??? (but do show up under "uninstall" )

if this can be fixed via openssh plz list command(s) for that as weLL

EDit: sigh.... i figure it at all.. all i had to do was restore my phone (FOR THE 4TH TIME because of the same problem!) and download community sources FIRST thing after jailbreak...... my icons show on my springboard and all downloads work perfect... hAliluyaa thankx for anyone that helpedd greatly appreciated
    Last edited by s0n0t0ri0us; 2008-04-04 at 02:52 AM. Reason: problem solved
    2008-04-04 02:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD