Alright, as of today, I am completely fed up.

I remember a day (Pre-3.0) when there was one single jailbreaking/unlocking group called the iPhone Dev-Team (Dev-Team Twitter). MuscleNerd, Saurik to name a few. They had simple tools that did the trick. PwnageTool, QuickPwn, Yellowsn0w, etc.

As Apple keeps on releasing firmware and baseband updates, the workload for these development guys gets tougher. Alas, 3.0 comes out, and the dev-team scrambled to release a working unlock and jailbreak.

At times of peril, other iPhone nerds jumped in and try and save the day. Firstly, meet GeoHot. Beating the Dev-Team, Geohot released purplera1n, a tool said to jailbreak 3.0 on the new 3GS. It was not widely accepted.

The knights in shining armor, the iPhone Dev-Team, then released Redsn0w (PC), PwnageTool (Mac), and Ultrasn0w (iPhone OS deb), the jailbreak and unlock combo that works on any device (iPod Touch 3G unreleased yet), and worked flawlessly for 3.0 & 3.0.1. I've used it, you've used it, it works. Geohot attacked back, attempting his own unlock, code named "purplesn0w", which, according to him, was much more efficient then Ultrasn0w. The Dev-Team updated Ultrasn0w... and purplesn0w became a faded memory.

All was well in the jailbreaking community. Everyone had their devices jailbroken, Cydia was up and running, iCY was a thing of the past, the community was peaceful. Until...

...THE DREADED 3.1 WAS RELEASED.

And this is where my headache begins. As a 3G owner, who has a PC, I had to make due with 3.0 for quite a while. Mac users got their hands on a PwnageTool update for 3.1, but 3GS & PC users were still stuck.

Meet today's current Jailbreak & Unlock challengers:

iPhone Dev-Team (Blog) >> The legends. The tough working guys who get things released, and working. The only thing that ticks me is an update for redsn0w which supports 3.1. I did however, manage to get 3.1 JB on my iPhone (using iH8sn0w's iReb), but my carrier is now missing (Which is said to be a common error, but does not affect your phone or activation at all).

GeoHot (Blog) >> Scrapping purplera1n and releasing Blackra1n (Twitter). So far, GeoHot has the most promising jailbreak & unlock. He demonstrated a jailbreak for the iPod Touch 3G, and as well, (as he claims), a working jailbreak for 3.1.2. (According to iPhone Wiki, he is a Dev-Team member.) As of now, I do not know where he stands.

p0sixninja (Blog) >> Was beefing with Geohot recently, supposedly he released some code publicly. Part of Chronic Dev. Working on a iPod Touch 3G jailbreak called "greenp0ison".

iH8sn0w (Blog) >> Released a tool called iReb, which allowed me to restore my 3G on iTunes using custom firmware. A neat tool that worked great. Now, promises a PC port of PwnageTool, called sn0wbreeze. According to the recent beta testing, it is said to have problems. Uh oh.

iHail (Blog) >> This guy claims he has a way of downgrading your OS and Baseband, code named "iHailStorm". This guy is new and upcoming.

And the new challenger,

Appulo (appuloha1l) (Blog) >> Founders of appulo(dot)us? I don't know. This team claims they found a new method for a full jailbreak and unlock for every device, for Mac, Windows, or Linux. Their unlock, entitled "ferociousbird" (Twitter), is said to be released on "Ha1l Day", Sunday, October 11th, 2009.

Any information I'm missing or got wrong, please post below. I'm a simple guy, who owns an iPhone, and reads up on the news of these communities every day, and find this drama exciting.

We only have to wait and see what will happen!

As posted by appuloha1l

As posted by blackra1n

As posted by musclenerd

As posted by appuloha1l

As posted by phreakin

As posted by phreakin

LOL. Let the war begin.

--Bless

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Edit: I understand everyone's criticism. Consider this an editorial. Neither fact nor fiction. I'm just stating the position of these devs at the moment, and what they are working on. Please provide constructive feedback if you are leaving a comment. Xie Xie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by DJ Bless One; 2009-10-09 at 04:36 AM.
    2009-10-09 02:03 AM
    At times of peril, amateur iPhone nerds jump in and try and save the day. Firstly, meet GeoHot. This random came out of nowhere, releasing purplera1n, a tool said to jailbreak 3.0 on the new 3GS. It had problems.
    I quit reading after this line of garbage......

Came out of nowhere? I guess you don't consider the person that unlocked the 1st iphone ever anything? And, purplerain...
    I am still running 3 phones that were jailbroken with purplerain without issues....
    2009-10-09 02:21 AM
    Came out of nowhere? I guess you don't consider the person that unlocked the 1st iphone ever anything? And, purplerain...
    I am still running 3 phones that were jailbroken with purplerain without issues....
    Yes, sorry. I had to read up on "George Hotz". I'll make the changes.
    2009-10-09 02:35 AM
    Also when the dev team updated ultrasn0w they used the improvements geohot had made with purplesnow. So it's not like they one upped him, they used his new ideas and made a better ultrasn0w.
    2009-10-09 03:03 AM
    omg LMFAOOO, this may be the most rediculous thread ive read on this forum! (ive read lots)

oh yes George Hotz is tottaly unknown, he just came out of no where to jailbreak 3.0..yeppp!! i wonder who unlocked the first iphone then

and now that the iphone community has grown, and there are many people working hard to get a jailbreak...its a war?!

lmao why not just support all of these hard working people...

this time it was George for 3.1 (well 99%)
    next time it may be greenpoison, or appulo...
    Last edited by Raptors; 2009-10-09 at 03:12 AM.
    2009-10-09 03:09 AM
    I am with everyone on this one. Must have things mixed up. Some of the teams you are trying to put against each other actually help each other along the way also. They share exploits and ideas along the way. And it is not just 3.1 that this started. GeoHot is not part of either team but helps chronic and dev team out.

No point in chosing sides because all these people do it in their free time at no charge and all deserve praise for the things they do.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2009-10-09 at 04:23 AM.
    2009-10-09 04:03 AM
    There are only two groups that have a proven track record when it comes to jailbreaking / unlocking the iPhone: the Dev_Team and GeoHot. The competitive nature between the Dev_Team and GeoHot has only made for a better jailbreak and unlock process for the iPhone community.

All the others have no proofs to support their claims yet. This is not a shot at the people who have shared their ideas with the jailbreaking communities, but for people to be cautious about claims made by unknown groups or people like appulo and iHail. Far too often they are BS, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-10-09 at 04:28 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown
    2009-10-09 04:15 AM
    The competitive nature between the Dev_Team and GeoHot has only made for a better jailbreak and unlock process for the iPhone community.

All the others have no proofs to support their claims yet.
    Just as Microsoft and Apple have a competitive nature, but tend to use each other as inspiration for new innovations.

The point I am demonstrating is how iPhone modding is, in itself, a new battleground for many minds to compete, share, and stand off in innovations, methods, and tactics for achieving their goals.

May the brightest mind win!
    Last edited by DJ Bless One; 2009-10-09 at 04:34 AM.
    2009-10-09 04:26 AM
    Just as Microsoft and Apple have a competitive nature, but tend to use each other as inspiration for new innovations.

The point I am demonstrating is how iPhone modding is, in itself, a new battleground for many minds to compete, share, and stand off in innovations, methods, and tactics for achieving their goals.

May the brightest mind win!
    But most create the same goals. In the first stages of JBing it was rough to get done at first. The tools they make now are great easy ways to JB compared to the first ones. It is not a real matter of teams but as a community/city. Each neighborhood has their methods but they still share the ideas with the town as a whole. Some may drive in a different neighborhood and like something and use it in their part of town.

Looking at twitter for most of the groups you can see the interaction between them and the bouncing of ideas.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2009-10-09 at 06:27 AM.
    2009-10-09 04:53 AM
    I cant belive I took the time to read that first post........Clearly you HAVE NO CLUE........NONE WHAT SO EVER.......
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-10-09 05:10 AM
    I actually went ahead from all these dev teams and jailbroke 4.0 I'm going to call it stupidnameinvolvingweatherorbirds

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.
    2009-10-09 08:10 AM
    This crap is no different than what the media did with Tupac & Big, overhyping bullsh'. I see people already informed you that geohotz was the first one to ever unlock & JB a phone, so that's resolved. Also, when I JB my 3.0 3GS, it was with purp1erain. I had my push notifications working, ask that for many of those that went with redsn0w (requiring them to alter files after commiting the JB to get it semi-working).

The tool was well accepted, except that geohotz did it as a proof of concept so to speak in terms of delivery/usage of exploits with in the phone that'd allow a quicker build up of a tool & effective usage (although it was a bit nitty gritty with the first release). Once he proved 3.03GS could be broken, he was done with it (/sadface). Learn to do your research before posting sh' for the sake of attention.
    Last edited by Ale_lock; 2009-10-09 at 03:59 PM.
    2009-10-09 03:54 PM
    2009-10-09 05:39 PM
    I actually went ahead from all these dev teams and jailbroke 4.0 I'm going to call it stupidnameinvolvingweatherorbirds
    I like supercalifragilisticexpialijailbreak.
    2009-10-09 05:56 PM
    I should just delete this entire thread because it's down right stupid to refer to different people working towards the same goal as a "WAR" and try and spur conflict as a result of it.
    2009-10-09 06:11 PM
    i should just delete this entire thread because it's down right stupid to refer to different people working towards the same goal as a "war" and try and spur conflict as a result of it.
    do it i triple dog dare ya.............
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy
    2009-10-09 06:16 PM
    Originally Posted by poseidon79 View Post
    i should just delete this entire thread because it's down right stupid to refer to different people working towards the same goal as a "war" and try and spur conflict as a result of it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can't more agree.
    cheers
    2009-10-09 06:27 PM
    @DJ bless one, have you always been a troll or have you had to work at it??

Healthy competiton brings about new ideas and new ways of doing things. There aint nothing wrong with taking an idea youve seen and using it to further your work.

If it were illegal then there would be no new music coming into the world and musicians would have a hard time dodging copyright.

Bless you all

Sandy
    2009-10-09 07:43 PM
    Alright, as of today, I am completely fed up.

I remember a day (Pre-3.0) when there was one single jailbreaking/unlocking group called the iPhone Dev-Team
    How can you start your thread with garbage information? You obviously haven't owned your iPhone for that long..

Dev team the only unlock team pre 3.0? wow....

If your going to make an editorial, at least do more research then just twitter...
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2009-10-09 at 07:54 PM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-10-09 07:51 PM
    I should just delete this entire thread because it's down right stupid to refer to different people working towards the same goal as a "WAR" and try and spur conflict as a result of it.
    Please do, this is only gonna start a war on the person because of the little facts that he included and has changed as he got corrected along the way.

As I mentioned in a post before they share information and exploits openly so it is not a war. That would be like I got a uber tank that could end a war with only one of them, here take the design to make one.
    2009-10-10 02:23 AM
24 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.