User Tag List

Eric McDonald of the Dev-Team did an interview with Wired.com on the new bootrom and how it blocks the 24k exploit. He mentioned that it is still hackable but each time you want to boot the device you will have to connect to a computer.

The newly shipping iPhone 3GS’s bootrom interferes with 24kpwn, but that will only make the handset difficult to start up after it shuts down. Booting up will require being “tethered” to a computer. That means if you shut down a jailbroken iPhone 3GS, or if it runs out of power, you can only turn it back on by plugging it into a computer.

In short, changing the bootrom makes owning a jailbroken iPhone even more of a hassle than it already is. However, McDonald said the Dev-Team will just have to find a new exploit to enable untethered booting once again.
    Source: False Alarm: New iPhone 3GS Not Jailbreak-Proof | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    Last edited by Cer0; 2009-10-16 at 08:49 PM.
    2009-10-15 11:24 PM
    Thats good news, "where there is a will, there is a way" as they say.
    smaller sig.png
    2009-10-16 12:13 AM
    Well this sounds promising. These guys are pretty damn smart, and we know it is just a matter of time before they fix the problem and we will be back in business.
    2009-10-16 12:27 AM
    BUT...... who the hell reboots their phone? I've gone weeks before doing anything that required a reboot. Even most cydia stuff just requires a respring. Given the rare event of rebooting, I'd not call it problem.
    2009-10-16 12:31 AM
    Yeah.. MN said it comprises untethered 3GS jailbreaks.. meaning it'd have to be tethered...
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-10-16 12:34 AM
    I don't reboot my phone either. Usually have no issues that cause me to reboot it and even then the only time that I create my own issues I am at home while I do it
    2009-10-16 12:43 AM
    Imagine installing something from cydia and then you can't use your phone anymore until you get home to your computer :P
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-10-16 01:45 AM
    That would suck. I am cautious about that, I just use the phone like normal and wait till I get home to check if something is new in Cydia. But I can see how this may trouble many and even more so ones that are on trips.
    2009-10-16 02:13 AM
    Or your phone runs out of batteries so you pull out a charger but you can't turn it on until you get to a computer still...
    2009-10-16 02:31 AM
    there will always be a way around everything no matter what is done.
    2009-10-16 05:58 AM
    The title should really be changed. The bootrom is not hackable yet. That is why he is talking about tethered jailbreaks. If there was a new vulnerability in the bootrom then there would be no reason to talk about tethered jailbreaks.
    2009-10-16 06:03 AM
    ^ I agree.
    24kpwn was fixed by the new iBoot but that was never the JB itself, just the hole that allowed the JB to be injected as I understood it.
    I think most people were just surprised it hadn't been blocked a long time ago! I wonder why they've waited until now to do it. It's not as though 24kpwn hasn't been explained enough!

Who is Eric McDonald?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-10-16 08:24 AM
    Eric Mcdonald is Musclenerd. You didn't know that?
    2009-10-16 02:16 PM
    I know nothing
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-10-16 02:57 PM
    Changed the title, sorry. Well tried, can a mod change it fully, please?
    2009-10-16 08:50 PM
    BUT...... who the hell reboots their phone? I've gone weeks before doing anything that required a reboot. Even most cydia stuff just requires a respring. Given the rare event of rebooting, I'd not call it problem.
    Exactly, I wouldn't mind it
    2009-10-19 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD