Sounds great?

1. Bought an ipad 3g and signed up for the $30 unlimited data plan.
    2. Signed up for skype unlimited calls , $3/month
    3. Signed up for skypein #, you can pick your own number(this allows other people from cell phone/land lines to call you). This will cost you $30/year or about $2.50/month.
    4. Jailbreak and install backgrounder, then run Skype in the background.

Add that together and you get $35.50/month , not including $630 for ipad 3g....but the great thing is you can take the sim card out and put it in any GSM phone that supports Skype (with a slight mod of the micro gsm card)...Iphone 4G, iphone 3gs, android devices...

Problem is Ipad 3g's are out of stock every where, unless you reserved one and you only have until June 7.
    After June 7, the $30 unlimited data plan is discontinued by ATT.
    No wonder ATT did away with that plan....

* You are chatting with Deborah, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Deborah. Welcome to Apple!

Deborah: How may I assist you today?

You: Hi, if I order a ipad 3g today and it arrives after june 7,

You: will i still be eligible for the $30 unlimited plan?

Deborah: I am happy to explain.

Deborah: New orders will absolutely arrive after June 7th. We are shipping them as they become available. It takes 7-10 days for it to leave our warehouses.

Deborah: In regards to the service plan, you need that activated with the iPad in hand on June 7th to take advantage of the unlimited plan option.

You: so the answer is no

Deborah: Right. Per AT&T's press release, unless you already have it activated.

You: ok, thanks for your help... is there any other way I would be able to purchase one before 6/7?

#

Sorry. Most locations have sold out and have waiting lists for the iPad. Online ordering has been the fastest method to receive the iPad in most cases.
    #

You: ok, thanks, will try my luck at best buy.
    Last edited by ctn222; 2010-06-03 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-03 11:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can sign up for the plan before you get the iPad... Just go to an AT&T store?
    2010-06-04 12:45 AM
    I've got you beat:

1.) Bought iPad 3G, signed up for $30/month data plan
    2.) Set up my Google Voice and Gizmo 5 accounts to work with each other
    3.) Downloaded GV Mobile + to make free outgoing calls and manage my texts
    3.) Set up Acrobits Softphone to work with Gizmo 5 and have push alerts enabled so the app can be activated when I receive a call without needing it to run in the background
    4.) I dunno, thats its, I'm spending $30/month for unlimited internet, text, and voice.

gg
    2010-06-04 04:25 AM
    thanks for the tip, didn't know about acrobits till now. since google bought gizmo 5, no new accounts are allowed

what's the pricing/rates for gizmo 5? whats another good voip provider? I've used broadvoice, but their cheapest plan is 5.95 after taxes its about $15... and service is "ok".
    2010-06-04 03:05 PM
    I've got you all beat! I pay only $140 for my voice and my fiancés data, plus $30 for my iPad data. Wait.. Never mind, :-/

So are you using a BT headset then?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2010-06-04 04:28 PM
    Where has at&t stated that you must activate by June 7?
    2010-06-05 08:54 PM
    It's all over the web. But now they are saying that if you place your order by the 7, you will be able to get the unlimited plan.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2010-06-07 01:31 AM
    I've got you all beat! I pay only $140 for my voice and my fiancés data, plus $30 for my iPad data. Wait.. Never mind, :-/

So are you using a BT headset then?
    Nope, not yet. Thats all that is keeping me from turning iPad -> iPhone. Supposedly I could use the SBSettings Mono Bluetooth plugin in Cydia to pair with Mono Bluetooth headsets (earpieces) but I have a nice stereo bluetooth headset that I want everything to work with, and I'm willing to wait 'til iOS4 to see if it gets officially supported before I start looking into alternate solutions.
    2010-06-12 04:14 AM
    I've got you beat:

3.) Set up Acrobits Softphone to work with Gizmo 5 and have push alerts enabled so the app can be activated when I receive a call without needing it to run in the background
    4.) I dunno, thats its, I'm spending $30/month for unlimited internet, text, and voice.

gg
    I was doing this for awhile but found the voice to lag and often fail without 3g. After a month of testing I checked my usage and saw i was using about 700megs total for talking,gps,web,and pandora streaming(might drop down to 2gb plan just to lower costs). So I decided to try a combo. I now use skype to call out with their $3/unlimited calling plan. Works 100% over edge and has better call quality. Plus skype allows you to change your caller id to your google voice number.

I also use the official gizmo5 app from the appstore for its 100% accurate push notification for incoming calls. I have also switched to the textnow app from the app store for its 100% accurate push notification for google voice SMS. My setup is now as follows:

-Skype with $3/unlimited calling(caller id set to GV number) to make outgoing calls over edge/3g/wifi 100% quallity on each

-Gizmo5 app to receive push notification for incoming calls to GV number

-Textnow app to receive push notification of new text messages to GV number. Also sends text messages

Best of all they are all app store apps, so nothing needs to run in the background due to the use of push notifications. So I get great battery life. More inconvenient though then att service but you cant beat $33 a month for unlimited everything. Im going to test this for one more month then its time to cancel my att number. Im more in need of mobile data then voice. I communicate through voice only to call small things for work and friends/family. From the past month of testing the previous setup works 100%. I was going to go pure skype but their is no push notification or unlimited text option as of yet. If they offer the following I will still use my google voice number but switch fully to skype services.
    2010-06-22 08:26 AM
    but the great thing is you can take the sim card out and put it in any GSM phone that supports Skype (with a slight mod of the micro gsm card)...Iphone 4G, iphone 3gs, android devices...
    THIS!^^^^

Can anyone confirm 100% that this works?
    if it does then I want to sign up for an iphone data plan, and buy an iphone 3gs to use.

This is what I have been trying to find out for a month now, but every time I search I encounter threads like "stfu service abuser ur dumb" instead of the pure awesomeness that is this thread!
    2010-07-02 10:05 PM
    can i still sign up for gizmo5?
    2010-07-05 02:53 AM
    can i still sign up for gizmo5?
    man I'm pretty sure the thread starters abandoned this thread.

You can't sign up for it, but if you search google you can find sites where you can buy an account for no more than 10$. that's how I got mine and i love it.
    2010-07-05 08:30 AM
    If you want to use ipad micro sim in iphone 3gs , follow the instructions here:

Using a Micro SIM in an iPhone 3G | Hijinks Inc.

Need the micro sim adapter card (buy or make your own)and to install the certificate.

New Gizmo5 accounts are no longer accepted, but can be purchased... just need to search...
    2010-07-12 09:34 PM
    If you want to use ipad micro sim in iphone 3gs , follow the instructions here:

Using a Micro SIM in an iPhone 3G | Hijinks Inc.

Need the micro sim adapter card (buy or make your own)and to install the certificate.

New Gizmo5 accounts are no longer accepted, but can be purchased... just need to search...
    Thanks Ctn222! I was doing some of my own testing using the iphone 4g microsim, which i took photos of it working fine in a standard 15 dollar brick style phone, data and all. So i figure the ipad sim should work good to, but this guide is great!
    2010-07-12 11:37 PM
    Hey there, great thread. I am wondering if there are any Canadians who have come up with a similar plan? I just tried to sign up for GV and it told me it isn't available in Canada yet, however I now lust after these brialliant setups. Thanks!
    2010-07-14 09:23 PM
    I've got you beat:

gg

Excuse my ignorance but Im confused how that all works. You use GV to make calls and text but do you not use the GV number they gave you to receive calls to? Im trying to understand why Gizmo5 or Acrobits is needed exactly. And why GV Mobile alone isnt enough. Thanks
    2010-10-15 11:46 AM
    yeah i don't understand this either. I'm wondering if he just said that's how he would "like" to set it up.

For one, Google voice can't make calls on it's own. It has to call a sip phone that you already have. So this is why gizmo is needed. Basically, in order for him to make outgoing calls, he needs to have it ringback gizmo, then answer. This sucks to use. Plus gizmo is crap now that it's abandoned. (it's natively integrated into gmail voice now)

Acrobits is needed because gizmo app can't run in the background and ring! it's stupid.

Lastly, gizmo limits your calls to 3 minutes if you don't pay. So this isnt' a real solution
    2010-10-15 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD