What the heck just happened? I installed krikrie or whatever it is and my ipad just exploded. (yes ipad, it's essentially the same and I figured I might find more help in this forum.)

There's NO apps in /var/mobile/Applications now. It just resprung and ! nothing but default apps.
    2010-11-03 06:26 AM
    Have you tried to restore it?

Thread moved.
    smaller sig.png
    2010-11-03 06:31 AM
    no, i've never had it hooked up to itunes. I know this is a problem with iphone's also. I don't think I'll get near the responses over here but thanks anwyay.
    2010-11-03 06:54 AM
    Well, plug it into iTunes and restore.
    If your jailbroken there are a bunch of guides in the "Guides" section.
    smaller sig.png
    2010-11-03 07:07 AM
    Time to restore
    2010-11-03 07:20 AM
    I know you're a super moderator and all, but I don't think you fully understand what's going on. Just "plugging it into itunes and restoring" isn't going to do jack. It's going to reset the ipad to stock... a second time. Why on earth would I want to do that? Obviously my files aren't backed up to itunes or I would have just connected it to itunes.

I've only had the thing for a week and it's never even been connected to a computer. So sure, I can go through and re-download every single app I got off the appstore, but that won't solve the issue of things like, all my favorites being lost in atomic, all my call history being lost in skype, and the potential problem of this happening out of the blue again.
    2010-11-03 07:23 AM
    If you had plugged it into a computer you would have a backup of all that information so a restore wouldn't be so devastating. That is your first issue and needs to be corrected. Who cares if we can get apps back if you will have problems in the future?
    2010-11-03 07:31 AM
    Sounds like you should perhaps have plugged it into iTunes and at least synced it. Yes you will lose your data and cause you some hardship by installing everything again, but it is the only thing that will cure your issue.
    smaller sig.png
    2010-11-03 07:34 AM
    I think after this experience you will see the value of having your settings and applications backed up in iTunes
    2010-11-03 07:36 AM
    You two should watch the most recent episode of South Park featuring Captain Hindsight...

I guess despite this being a problem that's surface on other sites when I googled, I must be the first one who's experienced it here on modmyi.
    2010-11-03 07:38 AM
    No, not the first by any means, but if there were a cure other then a restore, you would have found that by Googling. Sorry, it is what it is. You may have a bad/issue with the iPad that you may need replacement. Won't know for sure till you restore the firmware. I'm done........................
    smaller sig.png
    2010-11-03 07:40 AM
    Well then it must be a well known bug among those sites. However, it sounds like something that more than likely need a restore
    2010-11-03 07:41 AM
    Looks like this thread has some good advice.

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/2...-recovery.html
    2010-11-03 07:42 AM
    Good luck
    2010-11-03 07:45 AM
    ^^ yup, that will work, a post that is over 2 years old when firmware 2.0 was around, maybe 1.1.4.
    smaller sig.png
    2010-11-03 07:47 AM
    Sorry for the Monday morning quarterbacking but its true
    2010-11-03 07:48 AM
    @blkcadi: I'm sorry but what you say honestly doesn't make sense. Sure restoring will get be back to where I was, but it won't magically eliminate the problem. Neither will taking it to the Apple store and having it replaced. With frequent mobile substrate crashes it points to an incompatible ipad app. Probably something on cydia but possibly something in the app store.

I've noticed other threads mention kirikae causing the ipad to randomly think it's an iphone, then crash and respring back into ipad mode. This is something that was happening just before I lost everything.

Anyway, You can be done if you want. I would prefer to start a discussion around the problem, or people who have it, instead of one where EIGHT out of the first 13 post are mods echoing each other about restoring.

@StealthBravo Again, how does restoring magically eliminate the problem. It was JUST restored to stock last week.

I'll post relevant info I find on those sites here, since the reason I started this thread is that I support modmyi as the de facto place for hacked apple hardware.
    2010-11-03 07:54 AM
    Not saying it will fix the issue. Not installing the jailbreak app in question is the fix or figuring out what is conflicting with it. In either case, you need to restore and try different things out to see what will work.
    2010-11-03 07:56 AM
    That same program messed my iPad up, too. But I was able to go into Cydia and uninstall it and reboot and all was fine.
    Can you get into Cydia? If so just do an uninstall of that program there.
    2010-11-03 08:00 AM
    Hopefully its that easy

I would assume you would have already removed it.
    2010-11-03 08:00 AM
25 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD