Don't have internet connection unfortunately on the MAC where itunes is loaded. I made a backup of the phone which had firmware 4.2.6 before jailbreaking. Not sure if Apple is still signing this version but I was under the impression that since the back up was made on the phone of stock firmware, an internet connection was not needed. Phone still works fine. Office uses MobileIron and I was unaware that it does not like jailbroken phones so I am back to the standard firmware.

Any suggestions for restoring with my backup prior to jailbreaking? Is not having the internet connection the main problem.

Thanks so much. The support here is so terrific--great site!! Thanks in advance!!
    2011-08-18 06:00 AM
    I would think you don't need Internet to restore from back up. Right-click device in left panel and select restore from back up. Does that not work?
    2011-08-20 05:06 PM
    Anne, thanks for your note, that's what I thought too but it seems that Apple, through iTunes, reserves the right to monitor even a restore from backup. I guess the reasoning is that if they are no longer supporting that FW version, the backup won't be allowed. If that is the case, then a phone home to Apple, by way of a required Internet connection via iTunes would be required.

That seems to be consistent with a previous comment and since the backup was unsuccessful, it seems to confirm a cinnection is required. If you have found from testing this that no backup is required, I would greatly appreciate hearing about your findings.

Thanks again and please advise.
    2011-08-20 05:46 PM
    I've done a restore from backup on my iPhone without internet connection before. I had needed to do it bc the restore at home messed my springboard up so I re-applied a second time my backup later at work without Internet.

I'm not 100% sure if an Internet connection is required but I'm pretty sure I did it without.
    2011-08-20 07:21 PM
    If you did this restore in iTunes and PC on which iTunes is installed is connected to the Internet, I am pretty certain it talked to Apple before the restore UNLESS you were using SHSH SAVED BLOGS created with a program like Tny Umbrella which BLOCKS fools iTunes into thinking it made a connection to Apple bit in reality, it did not.

If you don't have a program like that installed and your Mac or PC was connected wired or wirelessly to a router or gateway to the Internet, it got an OK from Apple before allowing this connection to take place. It all happens in the background and you have no idea a connection was ever made. The only way to test this is be certain your PC has no connection to the Internet and try it again.

Thanks again!!
    2011-08-20 10:17 PM
    You may want to try this:

Go to Finder

Hit the "Shift + Command + G" keys

Paste "/private/etc/" into the search window

Press enter

Go to the file named "hosts"

Open it in TextEdit.app with root permissions

Add the line "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" at the end of the file

Save it and restart iTunes, try restoring your phone again.
    2011-09-16 11:59 AM
    That's a really good idea. This is exactly the way Tiny Umbrella works when restoring SHSH blogs. The ip address keeps ET from calling home to mama Apple. Not sure where the suggested IP is located or if it is simply a pasifier for looney tunes, sorry iTunes.

Thanks so much for this tip.
    2011-09-17 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD