I just got the following disturbing unpleasant email. (maybe it's time to switch to T-Mobile?)

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...ut-text-t.html

It seems that AT&T is possibly forcing me off my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan.
    My iPhone 5S is jailbroken, and I only use the MyWi hotspot app maybe once a month if that.
    They must be looking closer at the traffic these days?
    Can we do anything to avoid their heavy handed tactic?
    I know they have been doing everything in their power to force grandfathered unlimited customers off their plan but wow!
    Date: May 19, 2014 at 12:00:24 PM PDT

Dear JON,

Like you, some of our customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones - a practice called mobile hotspot creation, or otherwise known as tethering. This can be an efficient way to enjoy the benefits of broadband but it does require that you have a specific data plan.

1. Select a compatible data plan:

To review our plans that include the use of mobile hotspot, please log into your account at att.com/mywireless or use the MyAT&T app. Or, call us at 866.679.7134, Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. - midnight CT, or Saturday - Sunday, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. CT.

Here are details on the plans available for mobile hotspot usage:

DataPro 5GB for Smartphone

• $50 per month

Please update your data plan by the end of this month if you intend to continue tethering.

Account number: XXXXXXXX
    Mobile number: (XXX) XXX-XXXX

To learn more and update your
    plan, visit att.com/dataplans

Reach us for assistance during
    business hours:
    Monday - Friday
    6 a.m. - midnight CT
    Saturday - Sunday
    8 a.m. - 9 p.m. CT

at 1.866.679.7134

• $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
    • Mobile hotspot capability
    • Unlimited use of Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go with our nationwide network of Wi-Fi Hotspots.
    (Just look for the Wi-Fi icon on your enabled device.)

DataPro Enterprise 5GB for Smartphone
    This Enterprise data plan is required to access corporate email, company intranet sites and/or other business applications. (Access to personal email is also supported.)

• $65 per month
    • $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
    • Mobile hotspot capability
    • Unlimited use of Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go with our nationwide network of Wi-Fi Hotspots.
    (Just look for the Wi-Fi icon on your enabled device.)

AT&T Mobile Share Plans

• Unlimited talk and text for phones
    • Shared data for all your devices - smartphones, basic phones, tablets, laptops and mobile hotspots
    • Plans range from 300 MB to 50 GB and include mobile hotspot capability
    • Go to att.com/mobileshare to learn more

2. Keep your current plan in place:

To keep your current plan you'll need to stop using mobile hotspot/tethering by the end of the month. Please remove any tethering apps and make sure anyone who uses your device understands your current plan doesn't include mobile hotspot creation.

If you continue tethering and we don't hear from you, we'll automatically enroll you in the DataPro 5GB Smartphone individual plan in an upcoming billing cycle.

Unlimited Plan Users - If your plan is automatically changed to accommodate mobile hotspot usage, you will not be able to move back to an unlimited plan since these plans are no longer offered.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve you.

Sincerely,

AT&T
    Last edited by JazJon; 2014-05-20 at 03:07 AM.
    2014-05-20 02:59 AM
    Just stop tethering then.
    "All Men Die, But Not All Men Truly Live."
    2014-05-21 01:44 PM
    Just stop tethering then.

Basically
    2014-05-22 02:27 AM
    They aren't forcing you to choose a non-unlimited plan. They are forcing you to quit tethering (like the unlimited plan has always required)...
    2014-05-25 04:51 AM
    Thanks for the support guys :-/

Yes The end of grandfathered unlimited data plans is inevitable for jailbreakers/power users
    2014-05-25 04:53 AM
    Thanks for the support guys :-/

Yes The end of grandfathered unlimited data plans is inevitable for jailbreakers/power users
    I tossed AT&T down the toilet and went to t mobile and have no issues at all no overages no contracts unlimited everything, mins, data, texts, calls, etc and I'm a power user too and also 4g LTE AT&T lagged on that, good luck if your out of a AT&T contract leave them like a bad habit and port you number to someone else that offers like t mobile

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2014-05-25 05:16 AM
    Problem with T-Mobile is sucky coverage... Could never go to them..

To the OP - there's no such thing as a free lunch.. And , of COURSE, ATT knows if you're tethering or not.

Even in AT&T's earliest documentation on the "unlimited plan" (though I will agree, not very aptly named) the fine print made clear it was "unlimited NON-tethering".. So you can't really complain that they caught you.. They're not forcing anyone off the unlimited plan - they're just ENforcing compliance with the user agreement for the Unlimited plan.

Man up. Drop ATT or buy a tethering plan.
    2014-05-25 10:38 AM
    Unlimited was not always with an hotspot claus and it wasn't always throttled. Just don't use the hotspot tweak anymore or get a VPN. Coincidently, I've received this letter at least 4 times over some years and always just before the new iphone is introduced or my contract was just about up.

2014-05-25 04:38 PM
    Unlimited was not always with an hotspot claus and it wasn't always throttled. Just don't use the hotspot tweak anymore or get a VPN.
    Sorry, Diesel, but you're wrong. I've been with them for more than 10 years.. And "I" actually read my user agreements. Have you?
    2014-05-25 04:59 PM

To the OP - there's no such thing as a free lunch.. And , of COURSE, ATT knows if you're tethering or not.

Even in AT&T's earliest documentation on the "unlimited plan" (though I will agree, not very aptly named) the fine print made clear it was "unlimited NON-tethering".. So you can't really complain that they caught you.. They're not forcing anyone off the unlimited plan - they're just ENforcing compliance with the user agreement for the Unlimited plan.

Man up. Drop ATT or buy a tethering plan.
    I agree there it's the area and network but I was in Rancho Cucamonga ca for the weekend and AT&T showed full coverage on there MAPS on there site and sure enough only 3G coverage and my sister lives there and I got here to join t mobile BUT even t mobile has dead zones too I've had them all but for TRUE unlimited t mobile was my choice AT&T sucks!! But it's preference just like android and apple I use OS and iOS both have faults and goods just make sure AT&T don't cap you ya they know and that's why they do that on grandfather plans on power users like us

2014-05-25 05:02 PM
    So how is it I have an unlimited plan with an extra line and hotspot is included. I been tethering my iPad air to my ip5 for over a year. T- mobile
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P
    2014-05-27 12:24 AM
    So how is it I have an unlimited plan with an extra line and hotspot is included. I been tethering my iPad air to my ip5 for over a year. T- mobile
    Read a little before you post, please. TMobile has true unlimited.. It's AT&T that's the subject of this thread - their Unlimited doesn't include tethering.
    2014-05-27 12:33 AM
    If they force me off, I'm probably going to switch to T-Mobile. I've been with AT&T for over 10 years though. I was actually with T-Mobile in the past. I only switched to AT&T back in the day to help beta test the first generation HP iPaq Windows Mobile Smart Phones.
    Last edited by JazJon; 2014-05-27 at 04:37 AM.
    2014-05-27 12:38 AM
    Huh, I'm a T-Mo gal and travel quite a bit, (mostly west coast) and I don't experience "sucky coverage". In fact, for me I think it's awesome.
    I also tether with MyWi so another reason why I leave T-Mo. Can't beat their monthly pricing either.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2014-11-26 at 01:41 AM.
    2014-05-27 04:33 AM
    I'm thinking of doing the 10gb AT&T Framily Plan instead of holding onto my unlimited plan which never benefits me!!!

I used to think the unlimited plan was better but not sure how it helps me out dice I'll get throttled if I hit 3gb a month.

The 10gb plan is also ALOT cheaper!!!
    2014-05-27 05:08 AM
    In my neck of the woods, Bo, TM is sucky.. Philly area..

@Thaz.. That's what I have.. Never get anywhere close to 10GB even with 4 family members sharing. I tether all the time.. They just dropped price in half from former 6GB plan.. Of course they don't just let you know... You have to call and ask "do you have any newer cheaper products?!".. So typical of ATT.. Lol!!
    2014-05-27 08:49 AM
    Unlimited seems pointless any more since they throttle everyone. I moved to the 10g Mobile Share Value a couple months ago. If I didn't have WiFi at home the throttle would have bothered me, but I do so I just moved on to a different plan.
    2014-05-28 04:19 PM
    Hi, try Cydia tweak TetherMe, it says that it sends all data through iPhone APN connections so that data requests appear to be coming from the iPhone. You can even setup a VPN with TetherMe for more security.
    From their website Frequently Asked Questions - TetherMe

Question: Will my carrier be able to detect that this is tethered data?
    TetherMe does what is possible to make the tethered data look like all the other data from your phone, but there are things that can not be hidden because it would break your connection. If you want to be completely sure, tether a VPN connection.
    2014-05-29 01:57 PM
    I just got the following disturbing unpleasant email. (maybe it's time to switch to T-Mobile?)

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...ut-text-t.html

It seems that AT&T is possibly forcing me off my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan.
    My iPhone 5S is jailbroken, and I only use the MyWi hotspot app maybe once a month if that.
    They must be looking closer at the traffic these days?
    Can we do anything to avoid their heavy handed tactic?
    I know they have been doing everything in their power to force grandfathered unlimited customers off their plan but wow!
    Mywi has always sucked. It does nothing that activating tethering thru att wouldn't do. Pdanet and tetherme hide the tethering from AT&T. I started years ago with Mywi until I got the emails then switched to pdanet. After ios7 went to tetherme. Just recently went to 10gb mobile share plan as it was cheaper and includes tethering. I've never used more than 7gb in a month.
    2014-05-31 06:11 AM
    I got the same text and email and I called ATT and they said I was tethering but have no idea I have or
    did. Is there any way I can find out what app may may have done it or how it was done

I got the same text and email and I called ATT and they said I was tethering but have no idea I have or
    did. Is there any way I can find out what app may may have done it or how it was done
    2014-11-25 11:39 PM
24 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD