I was going to try this with my data card sim, but it is a blue color and the gold part is larger than the one in the micro sim. Does anyone know if it will still work?
    2010-05-01 06:46 PM
    So it is confirmed that you can do this hack with a T-Mo sim and it works fine? But you just can only use EDGE and not 3G from T-Mo, because of the different 3G frequencies right?

Also, lets say you do this hack and cut your sim card to use your data plan on your iPad. You can move the sim back and forth from your phone to your iPad and both work fine, but is there anyway to get a second sim card from your carrier that is identical to yours? so you could keep one in your phone and one in your iPad all the time? I don't even know if carriers let you do that but who has an answer?
    edge only on tmobile.

iPad(same as the iPhone):
    # UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    # GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

T-Mobile:
    # UMTS/HSDPA (900, 1700, 2100 MHz)
    # GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    I was going to try this with my data card sim, but it is a blue color and the gold part is larger than the one in the micro sim. Does anyone know if it will still work?
    what carrier, some of them use different sims... AT&T normal and micro sims are the same, obviously.
    Last edited by iPhone3G[S]; 2010-05-01 at 07:01 PM.
    2010-05-01 06:57 PM
    Melech518

Can you help me. I am in Canada with Fido and I got yesterday in Seattle an iPad 3G. I cut my fido card with data plan only and inserted on the iPad. I got the signal and its registered with Fido but I keep getting redirected to a Rogers website with 404 Error - This Page cannot be found. I checked the APN and I think this is my problem. I tried asking FIdo to change to an iPhone plan on this card and they did and was still the same so I returned to the original plan as this is not the problem... any tips?
    2010-05-01 07:38 PM
    what carrier, some of them use different sims... AT&T normal and micro sims are the same, obviously.
    It's an At&T data card sim. The picture is blurry but you can see the gold part is bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Mod AT&T SIM to Work in iPad 3G-photo.jpg  
    2010-05-01 07:58 PM
    Anaki,
    I have an AT&T data plan only,thus, USB air card. So I cut my reg sim to micro as discussed and changed my APN setting to wap.cingular (all lower case). Viola! Works fine.
    2010-05-01 08:00 PM
    Anaki,
    I have an AT&T data plan only,thus, USB air card. So I cut my reg sim to micro as discussed and changed my APN setting to wap.cingular (all lower case). Viola! Works fine.
    Amy...Did your Data card sim look like my picture above?
    2010-05-01 08:03 PM
    Exactly same super

Hey super, I take it back. I looked at your pic closer and def NOT the same.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2010-05-01 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-01 08:06 PM
    HELP!!!!

Melech518

Can you help me. I am in Canada with Fido and I got yesterday in Seattle an iPad 3G. I cut my fido card with data plan only and inserted on the iPad. I got the signal and its registered with Fido but I keep getting redirected to a Rogers website with 404 Error - This Page cannot be found. I checked the APN and I think this is my problem. I tried asking FIdo to change to an iPhone plan on this card and they did and was still the same so I returned to the original plan as this is not the problem... any tips?
    2010-05-01 08:10 PM
    Anaki,
    Thanks Amy! Have you had a chance to clock your 3g speed? Does it still get 3g speed?

Thanks
    Anaki
    2010-05-01 08:11 PM
    2010-05-01 08:21 PM
    Don't forget about me... anyone, any tips?

Who is using the iPad without activating a new data plan, what did you to set it up? Anyone with Rogers or Fido yet?

HELP!!!!

Melech518

2010-05-01 08:33 PM
    I am not sure what fido uses as an apn. I think as soon as you can narrow that down you should be golden.

To those of you who have the older sims with the larger pad area, you may opt to go directly to your carrier and ask for a new sim card. The majority of all new sim cards are made with the same grid area as the micro sim now....

Replacement sim cards should be free from your carrier.
    Last edited by Melech518; 2010-05-01 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2010-05-01 08:41 PM
    Micro sim on left is from iPad.
    Note that I glued back my cut out so that I could install it back to my USB aircard when needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Mod AT&T SIM to Work in iPad 3G-photo-2.jpg   Mod AT&T SIM to Work in iPad 3G-photo-1.jpg   Mod AT&T SIM to Work in iPad 3G-photo.jpg  
    2010-05-01 08:45 PM
    MyWi I guess is easier
    2010-05-01 08:47 PM
    try
    wap.fido
    or
    internet.fido.ca
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2010-05-01 at 08:55 PM.
    2010-05-01 08:47 PM
    I tried both and they look it going to work but takes me to: www.rogers.com/web/HSPA.portal.
    I can navigate the rogers portal but I am stuck in there and go nowhere.

I wish I could cut my wife's iPhone Sim to test :-P

My sim was from a USB 3G that I never use but I am stuck in a contract with it. Maybe waiting another month until Fido gets the iPad plan.

try
    wap.fido
    or
    internet.fido.ca
    2010-05-01 09:03 PM
    Great news! Now all we need is a jailbreak, and an SMS app so we can text through the iPad 3G using your iPhone SIM :3

I'll call it the iPhad 3GS xD
    Last edited by ZeroShift; 2010-05-01 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-01 09:21 PM
    Im getting very annoyed with this whole Fido BS. I got the SIM card and put it back on the 3G Novatel USB dongle and plugged it back on my laptop to find out that it works fine with the APN: fido.internet.ca, internet/internet

I get the SIM put it back on the iPad and try the same APN to be frustrated on having all the web pages forwarded again to the www.rogers.com/web/HSPA.portal

Any clues? I am getting desperate in here.
    2010-05-01 10:54 PM
    I got a new sim card from AT&T, cut it down and got it to work. Thanks.
    2010-05-01 10:56 PM
    Im getting very annoyed with this whole Fido BS. I got the SIM card and put it back on the 3G Novatel USB dongle and plugged it back on my laptop to find out that it works fine with the APN: fido.internet.ca, internet/internet

I get the SIM put it back on the iPad and try the same APN to be frustrated on having all the web pages forwarded again to the www.rogers.com/web/HSPA.portal

Any clues? I am getting desperate in here.
    Get the Ipcc file you use for the iPhone on fido and upload it to the iPad by entering carrier testing mode and Option+Upgrade(Mac) or Shift+Upgrade(Windows)
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2010-05-02 01:20 AM
124 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD