As of this writing, Apple has begun making refurbished second-generation iPads available for purchase in its online store. Although the slightly reduced cost of the refurbished models may attract some buyers, the cost hasn't been lowered by a substantial enough amount to likely generate a surge in tablet buying.

All told, the refurbished models are only $50 less than the price of a new iPad 2. For now, the models presently available in Apple's online store (US Only) include:

• 64 GB Wi-Fi (White and Black) for $649
    • 32 GB Wi-Fi + 3G for $679
    • 64 GB Wi-Fi + 3G for $779

If you're unfamiliar with Apple's refurbishment program, the company tests and certifies all Apple refurbished products and tosses in a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell.

Refurbished first-generation iPads remain available in the online Apple store, with the lowest end model - iPad with Wi-Fi 32GB - going for $399.
    2011-08-31 09:04 PM
    Who spends $779 on a tablet? Especially one with a fixed feature set that gets outdated 1 year later.
    2011-08-31 09:10 PM
    but its soooo stupid. why bother buying a refurbished iPad when the save is only 50bucks?? that is ZERO offer.
    i mean, whom are they trying to fool?? you can just buy it from the airport and save three times more on duty free, or sty like that....
    2011-08-31 09:24 PM
    but its soooo stupid. why bother buying a refurbished iPad when the save is only 50bucks?? that is ZERO offer.
    i mean, whom are they trying to fool?? you can just buy it from the airport and save three times more on duty free, or sty like that....
    My thoughts exactly. $50 is not a savings.
    2011-08-31 10:30 PM
    Typical Apple... Instead of getting a NEW 32GB 3G + WIFI for $729, I could get a refurb 64GB for $50 more... or in that case I could get a NEW for only another $50.
    This is the exact thought process Apple is hoping consumers take, and putting a $50 less price tag on the window may draw in a few new customers.
    2011-08-31 10:48 PM
    Who spends $779 on a tablet? Especially one with a fixed feature set that gets outdated 1 year later.
    The same people that would spend $10,000 if Steve Jobs took a steamy dump, froze it, and etched his signature on it with an Apple logo.

And if you buy 50 or more tablets for your company Apple will throw in a 2% discount. :P
    Last edited by RICO_; 2011-08-31 at 10:53 PM.
    2011-08-31 10:51 PM
    The same people that would spend $10,000 if Steve Jobs took a steamy dump, froze it, and etched his signature on it with an Apple logo.
    The iDump.

I'm in. Where can I buy that? LOL!
    2011-08-31 10:52 PM
    A colleague at work had an iP4 that went wrong - it was replaced with a refurb which has also gone wrong - he now has no faith in Apple products and I have little faith in their refurbs.

A small sample admittedly but...

But on the cheap iPad note, PCWorld were selling the iPad 1 64Gb with 3G for 399 - not sure if they still are but it is an interesting alternative at that price. A$50 discount for a refurb would not interest me. But that's just me.
    2011-09-01 12:18 AM
    If I a, not mistaken, their refurbs are covered under the same 1 year warranty. You open a refurb and it looks, feels, and even smells brand new. $50 isn't much, but I am sure some people view it as the price of a case or some other neat accessory.
    2011-09-01 02:41 AM
    Haters everywhere. If you don't like the concept of a refurb then it's simple... don't buy one.
    2011-09-01 02:56 AM
    Yah exactly, 50 bucks is a savings... It's 50 dollars off the price, how is that not savings. Me personally I wouldn't risk the discount for a refurb product.
    2011-09-01 04:50 AM
    I don't know who's dumber. Us iPad 2 owners who know it's obsolete after 2 years or XP fanboys hanging on for 10 years? I'm serious, I don't know who's dumber?
    2011-09-01 06:16 AM
    Thank you Sir well said!!!
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit
    2011-09-01 08:14 AM
    If I a, not mistaken, their refurbs are covered under the same 1 year warranty. You open a refurb and it looks, feels, and even smells brand new. $50 isn't much, but I am sure some people view it as the price of a case or some other neat accessory.
    The "looks, feels, and even smells brand new" is because Apple replaces them with a new battery and outer shell.

Apple Certified Refurbished

Fast, free shipping on all refurbished products.

We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
    All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell.
    Limited supplies, but updated frequently. Availability is guaranteed upon receipt of full payment.
    2011-09-01 02:14 PM
    The "looks, feels, and even smells brand new" is because Apple replaces them with a new battery and outer shell.

Apple Certified Refurbished

Fast, free shipping on all refurbished products.

We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
    All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell.
    Limited supplies, but updated frequently. Availability is guaranteed upon receipt of full payment.
    You sound like an Apple Sales Representative
    2011-09-02 11:17 PM
    A colleague at work had ipad2 coveran iP4 that went wrong - it was replaced with a refurb which has also gone wrong - he now has no faith in Apple ipad2case products and I have little faith in their refurbs.

A small sample admittedly but...

But on the cheap iPad note, PCWorld were ipad 2 accessory selling the iPad 1 64Gb with 3G for 399 - not sure if they still are but it is an interesting alternative at that price. A$50 discount for a refurb would not interest me. But that's just me.

2011-09-06 06:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD