Throughout earnings reports for the past year, one number in particular has stood out on Apple's quarterly reports -- and the reason is because it's one of only a few numbers that actually disappoint investors and analysts.

We're talking, of course, about iPad sales. Apple is just one of many leading tablet vendors to suffer the consequences of the shrinking tablet market. That's not to say that fewer people want tablets. It's just that most individuals who are inclined to use them probably already have a tablet at this point. For that reason, tablet market growth isn't nearly as robust as it once was.

Unfortunately for Apple, this could lead to its iPad facing more pressure throughout 2015. That's the latest projection at least from IDC. "Worldwide shipments are expected to reach 234.5 million units in 2015, a modest year-over-year increase of 2.1% from 2014," IDC said Thursday.

"In terms of platforms," the report summary notes, "Android will remain the leader, with close to two-thirds of the market over the course of the forecast. Once-upon-a-time-leader iOS is likely the weakest link as IDC expects its volume share of the market to decline in 2015, reaching levels below that of the past three years."

Source: IDC
    2015-03-12 06:19 PM
    The fact is that people are not going to upgrade their tablets every two years like their phones because there's no subsidy/contract issue to [prompt them to. My wife and I are still rocking our Ipad w/ Retina after almost three years, and they are still working so well I don't see any point to upgrade any time soon.

The whole market is just maturing, and the only way Apple is failing is if you consider making quality build product that last and supporting them through software for several years a failure. I'm sure some other manufacturers would see that as failure or crazy, but thankfully Apple doesn't.
    2015-03-12 06:50 PM
    In term of technology iPad sucks. No USSD. No cellular SMS even. Most of the users outside America are prepaid users who in need of USSD codes and cellular SMS to topup and check balance. Apple failed here. I need calling facility also. How Apple can force what customers should expect????
    2015-03-12 08:25 PM
    Easily, Apple creates need. We want something more powerful. Give us a FULL OS with FULL DESKTOP capabilities. They won't cause that would creep into their MacBook Air sales. I haven't even thought of purchasing a new iPad since the iPad 2. I really don't see the point. Love my Apple products but this one is lagging big time.
    2015-03-12 09:33 PM
    In term of technology iPad sucks. No USSD. No cellular SMS even. Most of the users outside America are prepaid users who in need of USSD codes and cellular SMS to topup and check balance. Apple failed here. I need calling facility also. How Apple can force what customers should expect????
    So,m the product you are looking to buy, is a mobile phone.

That is not what a tablet is.
    2015-03-12 11:15 PM
    Easily, Apple creates need. We want something more powerful. Give us a FULL OS with FULL DESKTOP capabilities. They won't cause that would creep into their MacBook Air sales. I haven't even thought of purchasing a new iPad since the iPad 2. I really don't see the point. Love my Apple products but this one is lagging big time.
    I'm kind of ok with Apple keeping the mobile and desktop dseparate. As great at the Surface Pro 3 is, it's still heavy and bulky compared with the latest ipad.

What would be nice, though, is if they would create a very slick means of bringing your desktop to your ipad screen and make it easy to work with from your ipad. Parallels has gotten better, but it's still not great.
    2015-03-12 11:18 PM
    I had original iPad, then iPad 2 and then iPad mini, I hardly used it when I had it other than playing some games on it.
    After getting Microsoft Surface I gave all the iPad away, just no comparison between iOS and full MS OS even if it is the crappy windows 8.1.
    2015-03-13 12:17 AM
    Would really love to see calling capabilities in the future iPads. Like someone mentioned... "who needs calling on a Tablet".. well... apparently a vast majority do use it.. agreed that it looks stupid... but hey.. it can sometimes be handy.

I'd love to see the integration on maybe a USB... which is probably never going to happen because Apple is a HUGE control freak. I'd love to just pop in a thumb drive to copy documents and media files on the go. I don't think it will cannabalize the Air and new Macbook sales.

Streaming without the Apple TV would also be a huge advantage... something like Chromecast. Eventually Apple will have to introduce it. This is one of the reasons I went with the Shield Tablet instead of the iPad. Of course... the Shield hardware and iOS would be like a dream tablet. Shield is good when it comes to hardware... but Android is just not as optimized and lag free as iOS... and it will always be like that. iOS is super snappy which is the best thing about iOS.
    2015-03-13 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD