Now that 2.0 is unlocked, can't we use the SDK to make inofficial apps. I just compiled one and copied it to the iPhone, but it just crashed...
    2008-07-21 09:54 PM
    I'm no expert on these matters, but I'm giong to have to say no.

As nice as that would be, I would think that when the SDK compiles it, if no certificate exists, it won't run.
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!
    2008-07-21 10:42 PM
    Yes you can. You need to install something called 'Link indenty editor' in cydia. It gives you a 'ldid' command. All you have to do is ssh into your iPhone and:-

ldid -S /Applications/MyApp.app/MyApp

Then it'll work. I tried it last night on one of the Apple SDK example programs.
    2008-07-22 02:23 PM
    hmm, interesting. I wonder if there is a way to automate that so when you run a program made in SDK from the springboard, it'll run ldid instead of the program and so the program will run properly.
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!
    2008-07-22 04:17 PM
    2008-07-22 09:30 PM
    ldid -S /Applications/MyApp.app/MyApp
    Awesome. Thanks.
    2008-07-22 11:54 PM
    I just read this article Erica posted tonight about Ad-Hoc delivery of unsigned apps. Is this possible for ppl like Nullriver to just create Summerboard on the SDK and deliver it as she descsribes in the article?

Form her post:
    Ad-Hoc and the Washington Post
    Posted Jul 23rd 2008 10:00PM by Erica Sadun
    Filed under: iPod Family, iPhone, App Store, SDK

This Washington Post article, suggesting that a beta arrangement for App Store developers is right around the corner, just hit the Digg front page. TUAW wants to clarify a few points raised in that article:

The so-called "Beta Program" refers to ad-hoc distribution. This was announced at the SDK keynote and is not a secret. It's a method to distribute apps outside of App Store channels.

The "Beta Program" will not be released in the "next few days." Ad-hoc distribution is already available and working. Developers can create ad-hoc provisions through the iPhone Developer Program site today.

Developers and users need not use the App Store for testing. Ad Hoc distribution goes directly between the developer and the user. The user needs to supply their iPhone's unique device identifier. The developer then sends a specially compiled version of their app along with a mobile provisioning file. Users drop these into iTunes and they're good to sync.

There are several ways to recover UDIDs from iPhones or iPod touch handhelds. In iTunes, open the device Summary tab, tap Serial Number (it changes to "Identifier"), and press Command-C (Mac) or Control-C (Windows). You can then paste the UDID into an email. From the device, you can download Ad Hoc Helper, tap the icon and then address the pre-filled email to a developer.

Developers can take advantage of these techniques for ad-hoc delivery now to accomodate beta testers (and reviewers!), without any beta program established through the iTunes store.
    Always remember that you are unique....just like everyone else.
    2008-07-24 06:46 AM
    good to know i start trying this
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6
    2008-07-24 03:37 PM
    What other singing methods are available?
    I used to use Windows, then I found Mac
    2008-07-24 08:45 PM
    Ad-hoc distribution is limited to 100 users so it isn't a practical tool for Installer to use.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-07-25 06:46 AM
    I just read this article Erica posted tonight about Ad-Hoc delivery of unsigned apps. Is this possible for ppl like Nullriver to just create Summerboard on the SDK and deliver it as she descsribes in the article?

Form her post:
    Ad-Hoc and the Washington Post
    Posted Jul 23rd 2008 10:00PM by Erica Sadun
    Filed under: iPod Family, iPhone, App Store, SDK

This Washington Post article, suggesting that a beta arrangement for App Store developers is right around the corner, just hit the Digg front page. TUAW wants to clarify a few points raised in that article:

The so-called "Beta Program" refers to ad-hoc distribution. This was announced at the SDK keynote and is not a secret. It's a method to distribute apps outside of App Store channels.

The "Beta Program" will not be released in the "next few days." Ad-hoc distribution is already available and working. Developers can create ad-hoc provisions through the iPhone Developer Program site today.

Developers and users need not use the App Store for testing. Ad Hoc distribution goes directly between the developer and the user. The user needs to supply their iPhone's unique device identifier. The developer then sends a specially compiled version of their app along with a mobile provisioning file. Users drop these into iTunes and they're good to sync.

There are several ways to recover UDIDs from iPhones or iPod touch handhelds. In iTunes, open the device Summary tab, tap Serial Number (it changes to "Identifier"), and press Command-C (Mac) or Control-C (Windows). You can then paste the UDID into an email. From the device, you can download Ad Hoc Helper, tap the icon and then address the pre-filled email to a developer.

Developers can take advantage of these techniques for ad-hoc delivery now to accomodate beta testers (and reviewers!), without any beta program established through the iTunes store.
    but if you have to still use sdk to create the app, apps like summerboard cannot be created. this is bc it is too far integrated w/ the phone than apple wants, so i dont belive the sdk will let you make such an app

If I helped you at all please hit the thanks button 4 me!
    2008-07-25 07:14 AM
    Actually, I believe you could use the SDK to make SummerBoard, but you could not sell it via the AppStore.

There are ways to add access to normally private APIs to the SDK.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-07-26 12:33 AM
    Hi,
    I've the same issue: fine on simulator, crash on iphone (jailbreaked, 3G).
    I tried to do the "ldid" thing... but all I can get is:

iPhone:/Applications root# ldid -S Colorimetre.app/Colorimetre
    util/ldid.cpp(416): _assert(0:arch != NULL)

Is there a specific build option to tell in xCode?

Thanks in advance.
    2008-07-28 11:28 PM
    Well, guys here's an even better way.

246tNt's corner of web - iPhone stuff

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a great tutorial. Props to whoever made it.

Reason this is better: it removes signature checking from springboard, meaning you don't have to use terminal to launch those apps, if I understand correctly.
    2008-07-29 04:29 AM
    Thanks a lot!

The issues I was facing were may be due to the fact I uploaded the simulator version instead of the iphoneos one
    2008-07-29 08:13 AM
    Well, guys here's an even better way.

246tNt's corner of web - iPhone stuff

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a great tutorial. Props to whoever made it.

Reason this is better: it removes signature checking from springboard, meaning you don't have to use terminal to launch those apps, if I understand correctly.
    Actually i just tried this guide and i loved to see that my Application got copied onto my iPhone.
    But i ran into another problem i hope anybody of you can help me with:
    When i start my App the screen turns black for about 2 sec, then the app closes itself. That's all.

I followed the guide posted before closely, i did everything the page described - then i restarted my phone, restarted XCode, let my app be built and copied onto my phone - but it doesn't work.

Any help is highly appreciated!!
    2008-08-03 01:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD