i wanna try developing apps but i dont know where to start.

i have a strong background in programming, mainly in c++ (with mfc)

i also know some basics about unix (ubuntu user), this i think will help me a bit

now what i wanna know is, what language do you guys use, what editor and other tools do i need, how do i compile, how do i test, stuff like that

if anyone could point me to the right direction, that'll be great

thanks
    2008-08-07 06:58 PM
    i wanna try developing apps but i dont know where to start.

i have a strong background in programming, mainly in c++ (with mfc)

i also know some basics about unix (ubuntu user), this i think will help me a bit

now what i wanna know is, what language do you guys use, what editor and other tools do i need, how do i compile, how do i test, stuff like that

if anyone could point me to the right direction, that'll be great

thanks
    for appstore dev:
    iPhone Dev Center

for cydia/jailbroken dev:
    ? good question.

the sdk one can download for free. you have to pay $99 or something to get a license to post apps in teh store. its mainly objective c, and there is a builder, editor, compiler etc in the download. additionally there are vids to get you started. i would imagine that jailbroken apps use some similar form of c. i don't know. under "faqs" in cydia, there is a "develop apps" faq... see if that offers you some insight.
    2008-08-07 07:26 PM
    SDK development requires a Mac. The $99 developer program is required to receive a certificate that allows deploying your application on an iPhone for testing, and then submitting to the AppStore for approval and sale, if approved. Without the certificate, you can only run in the simulator on the Mac.

Jailbroken apps use the iPhone toolchain to compile Objective-C and Objective-C++ files into applications executable by the phone.
    Jailbroken development for 2.0 is working on Linux and (I think) Mac, haven't seen anything about Cygwin/Windows yet.
    I believe it is also possible to use the SDK to create applications to run on a jailbroken phone.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage
    2008-08-08 12:19 AM
    Hey I'm interested in a windows or linux way to create iphone apps. Can someone please post how to get the toolchain, etc, necessary for linux (or windows, if possible) for iphone dev'ing?
    2008-08-12 04:34 PM
    a few month ago I was in the same situation, I have lot of know about C, C+, ADA and java but no idea of what Apple was using...
    I started from developper.apple.com where you can find lot of answer about any question you have. If you had never used cocoa I suggest you to start from that, read some little tutorial and make you an idea of what Cocoa is. You can learn Objective-C and Cocoa together in not more than a pair of week, just to start is clear. I start with "COCOA PROGRAMMING FOR MAC OS X" writed by AARON HILLEGASS, really a good starting point. You learn foundamentals of Cocoa and Objective-C in a while.
    When you think you are ready start writing a little application, try do little thing and use apple documentation to help in your task, you will found toooooooons of doc about any argument. Is funny because every day you found something more about what you are programming :-P eheh never end this SDK.... :-D
    There are a lot of material out there, book, pdf you need only to find what fit whit what you must learn :-D

byyyyyy
    2008-08-13 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD