User Tag List

Hi I have an iTouch 2g. I wanted to change the sounds of incoming and sent mail messages after I noticed the sound made was thunder-y and i didnt know why.

I have my replacement .caf files and have tried 2 methods:
    1: I have made a theme with UISounds folder and pasted it in.
    2: Replaced .caf in System>Library>Audio>UISounds.

BOTH methods are not working and I still get an annoying thunder sound when I get or sent Mail

Can anyone help me out??
    2009-12-17 01:11 AM
    Hi,

So to change the sounds associated with email, etc do I need to jailbreak (blackra1n for example) my phone?

if so then I have some questions pleasE:

1. What is the file format for a "sound" I came from Windows Phones so I am lost here!

2. what is the location/folder and how the heck do I get to the folders? on windows phones that is easy to do.

Does Iphone support DivX and wma/wmv?

thanks
    New 3GS owner
    2009-12-26 08:18 PM
    Hi I have an iTouch 2g. I wanted to change the sounds of incoming and sent mail messages after I noticed the sound made was thunder-y and i didnt know why.

I have my replacement .caf files and have tried 2 methods:
    1: I have made a theme with UISounds folder and pasted it in.
    2: Replaced .caf in System>Library>Audio>UISounds.

BOTH methods are not working and I still get an annoying thunder sound when I get or sent Mail

Can anyone help me out??

Once you over wrote the sounds in the UISounds folder, Did you reboot? I was doing the same thing a while back and forgot to reboot. Once a reboot took place the sounds worked great.

What did you encode your .caf files with? That cold also be the issue. The phone is funny when it comes to custom made sounds sometimes. Try to recreate them again and see if the work.

Hi,

So to change the sounds associated with email, etc do I need to jailbreak (blackra1n for example) my phone?

if so then I have some questions pleasE:

1. What is the file format for a "sound" I came from Windows Phones so I am lost here!

2. what is the location/folder and how the heck do I get to the folders? on windows phones that is easy to do.

Does Iphone support DivX and wma/wmv?

thanks
    New 3GS owner

You would need to jailbreake your phone to change the sounds.

1. The file format is .caf, It is an apple proprietary format. There is a great tutorial on creating .caf files on MMI it was the one I used a while back.

2. The folder structure is /System/Library/Audio/UISounds. This is where all the system sounds reside. You can do it one of 2 ways. SSH into the phone one of the many ways and replace files as you see fit. WinSCP, iPhonebRowser, etc.

The way I like to use is iFile, just move things aroung right on phone.

If you replace them the MUST be the exact same name of the file you are replacing. Make a backup copy of originals before doing anything. In my case I deleted sounds and added new files and i encoded file incorrectly now no sound, had to restore.

forgot to add that once jailbroken there are apps that can play dixv and wma files. search cydia and you will find them.
    Last edited by qnc; 2009-12-26 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3
    2009-12-26 09:40 PM
    great info.

I will try this and see.

I am use to having a different sound for each SMS, MMS, Email, rings, etc. on windows mobile. this locked down is really a new frustration.

man if someone could get Windows mobile 6.5.1 (see xda developer) on an iphone that would rock :-)
    2009-12-27 02:06 AM