hey guys,
    i just have a couple questions for when i upgrade to os 4.0.

if i install the 4.0 firmware, must the name of the firmware file be EXACTLY the same as provided when downloaded from the official Apple Dev Site?

and second,

has anyone been getting a "preparing iPhone for restore" hold? I have been UNABLE to get past that point and im almost positive my UDID is registered! If it wasnt registered im pretty sure thats not where the problem occurs... I thought it occurs after the installation when it tries to activate itself. thats how it used to be at least, it never just stopped in the middle.

thanks for any help anyone can give me. I dont even know why im having problems with this-- i was a 3.0 beta tester as well and it wasnt this bad for me back then.

this is all i get every time i try to update to 4.0.

i found my problem....
    iTunes must be completely updated in order to update. if its not you will be paused at the screen above.
    Last edited by ForumSnoBorderRK; 2010-04-09 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]
    2010-04-09 05:04 AM
    if you don't mind, how's the functionality? phone, mail, sms?
    2010-04-09 08:26 AM
    I have updated to 4.0 beta. I am a Iphone developer and tried it yesterday. It has one or two little bugs in apps already installed but not bad at all for a first beta release. Nice one apple!!!
    2010-04-10 04:43 PM
    I think the problem lies in the version of iTunes that you are using. Make sure you are using iTunes 9.1. After you have it installed, try again, it should work just fine. Many people have been having this same problem and iTunes 9.1 seems to be the answer.
    2010-04-10 05:11 PM
    I don't understand either why people are complaining of these things. My SMS works flawlessly.. My mail with Uni inbox = <love3. My transitions are faster than ever before, and my visual voicemail had to ask for my password again, but works perfectly now. I have found that if you set the device as new, and sync everything back, instead of restoring from backup, it works out SIGNIFICANTLY better!
    2010-04-11 05:31 AM
    Make sure you're using a not corrupt version of the 4.0 ipsw, which many people are.
    2010-04-11 08:09 PM
    Strivelli, can you provide steps on procedure for setting device as new and sync back?

How do you retain all the current app settings if not doing a restore?
    2010-04-11 10:55 PM
    Yep
    Keithsta
    2010-04-13 06:22 AM
    If you want to retain all app settings, do a backup and restore from that backup when setting up 4.0.
    no spam
    2010-04-14 03:47 AM
    It's best to restore and then set up as a new phone. The tech at the apple store said so.
    2010-04-14 05:03 AM
    Yea proly the best idea
    Keithsta
    2010-04-14 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.