Hey guys

Ok I'll keep this quick and simple (without going on and on lol)

I'd like to get into making themes as I've seen the great work people have done and thought I'd give it a go and try create something as close to the standard as the ones I've seen (Hopefully) :-)

How would I get started and what will I need as I'm running Windows?

Any help would be great

2010-08-16 11:18 PM
    Alright Penbo i'm assuming your already Jailbroken so heres a little guide to theming. I don't know if you'll read the whole thing as likely this will be very long but I hope it helps

1.The first thing you need to do is install WinterBoard which you probably already have done but if you haven't search it on Cydia and download it. This allows you to select themes you want to activate on your iDevice

2. Go to cydia and search SSH and download it. Make sure it's turned on by going to SBSettings and selecting it. (To activate SBSettings swipe the status bar.)

3. Go on your computer and download in SSH Client. This allows you to access files within your iDevice. Since your running Windows i'd recommend WinSCP, heres the link -> WinSCP :: Download

4. Turn on Wifi on your iDevice and make sure your connected to the same server as your computer. Press the little arrow beside the Wifi address name and note the IP Address.

5. Open WinSCP and where it says Host Name, input your IP Address. Under Username put "root" (without quotes) and for password put alpine. Everything else can stay the way it is. Press login

6. Click yes to the popup and you'll now see a screen divided in two parts.

7.On the left side of the screen will be files on your computer, you can just ignore this for now. What we need are the files on your iDevice which is on the right side.

8. You'll likely see 3 folders. The first being "..." followed by "Library" and "Media". Click on the first one to move to it's parent directory. (Previous folder)

9. Once it's loaded click on the ... folder again and after that, one more time.

10. You'll then want to locate the folder entitled "Library", double click on that and then find the folder called "Themes". Double click on this.

11. And finally your here. This is where all the themes are stored on your iDevice and where you'll put yours once you create it. So lets get started with that.

Making your theme:

Making a theme can be very easy depending on how much you want to change. There are thousands of tiny details that can be edited to fit the look of your theme however you'll probably just want to start with the basics.

First you should make a folder on your desktop. Call it whatever you want the name of your theme to be. This is where you will put all of the files for your theme.

The three things most people like to start with for making their first theme are:

Wallpaper
    Dock
    Icons

The wallpaper is the background behind your icons on the home screen. You probably know what the dock is and icons is pretty self explanatory.

If your using photoshop or another photo editing program you'll need to know the dimensions of the image you're creating. Here's a list of the item-dimensions-name

Wallpaper - 320 by 480 - Wallpaper.png
    Dock - 320 by 91 - Dock.png
    Icons - 60 by 60

(The name is what you have to name the file no matter what. Anything else and it won't work. Also make sure that each file is saved as a PNG)

Once you have your wallpaper and dock created, drag the images into the theme folder you made before. While you're in your theme folder, make a new folder and name it "Icons". This is where you'll put the images for all the icons you create. Icons are named by the name of the app.

Note: Each icon has to be named by what it appears as on your iDevice. Sometimes the iTunes name is different from what it appears as on your screen. For example, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is call GTA: CTW on your iDevice. So the name of your image for that icon would be called GTA: CTW.png and placed within your icons folder.

Now would be a good time to test your theme out. Open WinSCP and follow all the previous directions to get to the themes folder. Take your theme you just created and drop it into the folder.

Now go on your iDevice, open WinterBoard and it should be right there. sitting nicely on the top
    Press it and exit winterboard. Your device will respring and you should see all the images you created right where they should be. Cool eh?

There's so much more that could be mentioned but i recommend you download a theme and use it as a reference. Make sure it's a very complete theme so you have lots reference off of. For now heres a few other files you can make to add to your theme.

Status bar - 320 by 20 - StatusBar.png
    Lock Background - 320 by 480 - LockBackground.png

if you want to learn more just ask and i can post a more indepth tutorial on it. Also check out youTube, there are some pretty good tutorials.

Happy Theming!
    2010-08-17 12:14 AM
    Would happen to know how to make custom graphics to the built in categories of OS 4.0?

Im making a custom GUI where a mail box will contain both my mail client and my sms client.. However, I'd like the category box to be transparent. How could I arrange that?
    2010-08-23 02:18 PM
    Would happen to know how to make custom graphics to the built in categories of OS 4.0?

Im making a custom GUI where a mail box will contain both my mail client and my sms client.. However, I'd like the category box to be transparent. How could I arrange that?

Install 4.0 stock theme and experiment with the bundles folder.
    2010-08-23 03:53 PM
    Found a tutorial elsewhere.. worked like a charm..
    2010-08-23 05:31 PM
    Found a tutorial elsewhere.. worked like a charm..
    care to post a link?
    2010-08-28 10:00 PM
    dammm JayEmTee PROPS for that post!! nicee brah...in depth easy to understand, i wish you were there when i was learning!! You sir, deserve a thanks
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.
    2010-08-28 10:21 PM
    Hey JayEmTee

Thank you very much for the help, I'm sorry for the lateness in my reply, been a busy week lol.

I have indeed had a read through (and printed) all that you wrote and I'm slowly getting my head round what to do. Although I just need photoshop now and Im ready to roll :P

I am serious about wanting to do themes as I've seen the work gone into some peoples themes. currently have that Elite Pro one on my phone at the minute and think its great, but would be great if I could make something as good too

Thanks again for your help so far, it's been a HUGE help
    2010-08-29 07:25 PM
    I like your enthusiasm and I'm glad I could be such a help
    Winners never quit, quitters never win
    2010-08-29 08:09 PM
    Don't know if this is the appropriate post to ask this, but since I've installed 4.0 my theme is a bit messed up... some screens below to illustrate... I think apple changed some names of UI-files and I'm wondering if anyone already found out which ones and to what...

First on my lockscreen, before the bar underneath the clock wasn't visible, only the ui for controls or when ipod is playing was visible if activated at that moment.

I would also like to know how i can adjust a file (and which file aswell) so my day and date places correctly on my calendar icon...

Hope someone has an or some answers about the above

thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Making themes-img_0091.png   Making themes-img_0092.png  
    2010-09-08 01:07 AM
    I use photoshop CS4 to create my themes and for making the sounds i use Wavpad editor, take a look at my first theme which is in the Cydia program called south park theme by Notstrong.
    Notstrong
    2010-09-17 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.