User Tag List

I need help figuring out why i get this message. "Could not activate cellular data network". I am on AT&T with a data package. Just yesterday i traded a friend my Samsung Captivate for his iPhone 4. Both phones are brand new. I had to cut my sim card to fit in the new phone and i can make calls and text so i know i didnt screw up cutting it. I have removed and replaced the sim, Reset network settings multiple times, Hard reset but its still giving me the error. Im not sure how AT&T is gonna be seeing as how i left with a captivate and will be returning with a iPhone.(only reason i traded was AT&T couldnt get an iphone without a credit card). Any help would be great. iPhone 4. 4.0.1 unjailbroken with legit sim. Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Help!! Could not activate cellular data network-photo.png  
    2010-09-17 12:57 PM
    at&t data plan isnt the same as an iphone data plan....u have to change your data plan to the iphone data plan
    2010-09-17 01:43 PM
    Is that accurate? Thought that was an APN thing? You had to edit. You dont need an "Iphone" data plan, you dont need any data plan to use an iphone.
    2010-10-10 10:42 PM
    I downloaded apn settings from cydia and it works perfect now. Thanks!
    2010-10-11 03:19 AM
    yay! Think thats the first time I was actually able to help anyone on the forum. -score-
    2010-10-11 08:35 AM
    you dont need any data plan to use an iphone.
    I thought it was required to have a data plan with an iPhone? People say that they bought an iPhone without a data plan, and a few days later AT&T automatically added it
    2010-10-11 01:02 PM
    Yeah, your supposed to have one, you have to sign with a data package, and call & cancel it I think? I've always used pre-paid Sims in my iPhones, Although at&t will tell you that you can't do that.
    2010-10-14 01:25 AM
    I've heard that ppl who already have an AT&T account who bought an iPhone off craigslist or something, and just switched SIMS, received a text after a few day saying that a data plan will be added because they have an iPhone.
    Also, I got it to work on prepaid also but if u use ur data a lot, u have a higher chance of them catching u and canceling it. If u don't use ur data on prepaid, then I guess ur good.
    There are many loopholes and tricks to avoid iPhone charges up front, but the thing is that they continuously monitor users so there's a chance that u will get caught eventually
    2010-10-14 01:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD