The current edition of xGPS and its Manager was an awesome attempt to get a feature, FREE nonetheless, that was left out by Apple. Our new revisions coming out soon makes Navigation on the iPhone a whole lot easier.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the new version. Like I've said before, I don't think it can compete with 'proper' SatNav but:
    a) There are no proper SatNav programmes for the iPhone and
    b) It's FREE

Who are you guys and are you planning to make money out of this? If so, how? If not, why are you doing it?

Whatever your reasons, thanks
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-02-12 10:15 PM
    it's not a hard question to answer?

do people understand what i mean?

ever been driving using the stock maps directions and your past your turn off before the dot catches up on the phone??

i'm just wondering how xgps goes faster than the stock app.
    are you on the 3g or 2g phone?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2009-02-12 11:44 PM
    Thanks for asking. First off, the current version supports, well, the Globe. It supports wherever Google Maps supports, not just the US. You have options in the new Map Manager to set your Language and its supporting maps, but you could always download maps from any part of the world.

I felt that the US had it the worst in this current version really as the Current Location function didnt work when you used it in direction computation. But with that fixed for this latest version coming out, everyone wins.
    I think you have me mis-understood. I realise the maps as a whole feature the google database i.e. the world. But I am referring to driving directions, the original app never gave directions in the uk/ireland....

Again big big respect for your work and thank you!!
    2009-02-13 12:16 AM
    are you on the 3g or 2g phone?

i'm on a 3g on the latest firmware.

it's just not fast enough to keep up when i'm driving so i just want an answer as how this can work??

the guy who's answering all the questions from xgps sems to be ignoring my question for some reason. it's a perfectly valid question unless i'm missing something?

everyone must have tried doing this with the stock app. using directions in maps and it lagging behind. i just want a straight answer, i'm not trying to put down xgps at all.

looking at the above post, it gave me directions in the uk.
    2009-02-13 12:29 AM
    your question cannot be answered in a simple way like u are expecting,

it is all dependent on your 3G network speed, if your maps do not load in time while driving it is either

a) the network speed is not fast enough
    or
    b)you are driving too fast.

It is as simple as that.

Unless you download the maps in full these are the issues you face regardless of xgps, downloading an application, watching youtube, downloading a podcast.

I hope this makes it plain and simple for you....DATA DATA DATA
    2009-02-13 12:47 AM
    i'm on a 3g on the latest firmware.

it's just not fast enough to keep up when i'm driving so i just want an answer as how this can work??

the guy who's answering all the questions from xgps sems to be ignoring my question for some reason. it's a perfectly valid question unless i'm missing something?

everyone must have tried doing this with the stock app. using directions in maps and it lagging behind. i just want a straight answer, i'm not trying to put down xgps at all.

looking at the above post, it gave me directions in the uk.
    The stock app hasn;t given me problems at all... it is always dead on as far as where I am located on the map. Are you sure it is the GPS you have it using and not the triangulation feature? I believe the reason you have had no response might be that nobody has had the same issue as you. I know I sure don't...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2009-02-13 12:48 AM
    I tried downloading maps of the Minneapolis metro area and it said the potential download size was over 93,000 mb. How can that be!?!?!
    2009-02-13 01:21 AM
    The stock app hasn;t given me problems at all... it is always dead on as far as where I am located on the map. Are you sure it is the GPS you have it using and not the triangulation feature? I believe the reason you have had no response might be that nobody has had the same issue as you. I know I sure don't...

ok thanks.

the 3g coverage is excellent where i live and other functions work fine. email, safari etc.
    i dont use the stock maps app for proper directions. i have just tried it out a few times to see how good it is, and while it keeps up pretty well i have missed turns a few times. maybe only a few yards but enough to f&^* up if i really needed it. i'll have a go with xgps and see how it does, but in its current form it seems hardly any different to the stock app anyway.

i'll go for a leisurely spin around town and see how xgps goes.
    2009-02-13 02:56 AM
    Im having a problem. Every time i try to get directions i get a

"cannot find directions based on your query" error

any ideas? this is with gps or just reg to/from directions
    2009-02-13 04:19 AM
    I don't get this. I've had this on my phone for more than a month now, so what's the deal with 'keep an eye out bla bla'? Will this function properly? The one I am having can't recognize any address I input in as a starting point.
    2009-02-13 04:23 AM
    this thing almost does it all. Almost!
    2009-02-13 05:37 AM
    This is by far THE BEST free third party software ever! I can't believe it allows downloading maps from google! I don't have a data plan so this is great!
    2009-02-13 05:43 AM
    That looks very promising, but would that work for ppl like me not living in the US? because in the normal Google Maps when i search for a location, it doesnt recognize and get me the location i searched for. in addition, when i route from a place to another it doesnt recognize both places. however, if i wrote the name of a place in the US it gets it for me right away. so would xGPS work for my case or not? plz reply
    2009-02-13 12:55 PM
    I don't get this. I've had this on my phone for more than a month now, so what's the deal with 'keep an eye out bla bla'? Will this function properly? The one I am having can't recognize any address I input in as a starting point.
    wow you really didnt read any of the posts here did you...

2009-02-13 01:51 PM
    Ok, Downloaded and used it yesterday. This is a very promising app, and i can't wait for voice turn by turn directions with it.

But there are still some problems. Just like with the Iphone gps, it still doesn't auto-correct the route itself if you decide to go a different way. For instance, if their is traffic or an accident and you need to adjust, it would be nice if it would recalibrate the route from new destination, either with the push of a button or on a fixed timer. Right now, (when you select this feature in settings) a big red wrong way banner flashes if you leave their path, and it still does the turn by turn but from the old route.

Also, it won't give you directions from "your current location" you have to physically type in your current address, and going back to above, this can be difficult if you are changing your route on the fly.

And it would be nice if the location/directions blanks had a memory, so if you started something with say an "s" all your previous "s" selections would pop up and you could choose from that past list, say for locations you use alot, but with different starting or ending points. Right now you can choose from bookmarks but, both previous locations are filled in at the starting and ending.

All in all it looks great and has a lot of potential and i can't wait for turn by turn. And at free you can't beat the price.

Thanks to the developer!!!!!!!

Ok, Downloaded and used it yesterday. This is a very promising app, and i can't wait for voice turn by turn directions with it.

But there are still some problems. Just like with the Iphone gps, it still doesn't auto-correct the route itself if you decide to go a different way. For instance, if their is traffic or an accident and you need to adjust, it would be nice if it would recalibrate the route from new destination, either with the push of a button or on a fixed timer. Right now, (when you select this feature in settings) a big red wrong way banner flashes if you leave their path, and it still does the turn by turn but from the old route.

Also, it won't give you directions from "your current location" you have to physically type in your current address, and going back to above, this can be difficult if you are changing your route on the fly.

And it would be nice if the location/directions blanks had a memory, so if you started something with say an "s" all your previous "s" selections would pop up and you could choose from that past list, say for locations you use alot, but with different starting or ending points. Right now you can choose from bookmarks but, both previous locations are filled in at the starting and ending.

All in all it looks great and has a lot of potential and i can't wait for turn by turn. And at free you can't beat the price.

I do see that the developer has released on the blog that some of these problems are fixed, but as i said i tried it yesterday and they were not so maybe he fixed them overnight or not. I will try again maybe today and see if it works better.

Again, HUGE THANKS TO THE DEVELOPER!!!!

your question cannot be answered in a simple way like u are expecting,

it is all dependent on your 3G network speed, if your maps do not load in time while driving it is either

a) the network speed is not fast enough
    or
    b)you are driving too fast.

It is as simple as that.

Unless you download the maps in full these are the issues you face regardless of xgps, downloading an application, watching youtube, downloading a podcast.

I hope this makes it plain and simple for you....DATA DATA DATA
    At first i tried downloading a section of the DC area map by using the phone and this took a long time. Where do i go on my computer to download maps and how do i then transfer them to the phone? I am going to check the forums but i figure, so far you guys are pretty good with answers here.

Thanks,
    Last edited by brikz; 2009-02-13 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-02-13 04:20 PM
    Awwwwwsome! Pity i have a 1G...
    It will work on a 1st gen. you will need this https://www.orangegadgets.com/shop/p...&products_id=1
    2009-02-13 09:49 PM
    would someone PLEASE send me a link to the mac application to manage maps? it takes forever to download my area. would be much simpler to get this app they speak of on their site to download the maps and manage them to be exactly what i want, when i want it.
    2009-02-13 10:08 PM

I do see that the developer has released on the blog that some of these problems are fixed, but as i said i tried it yesterday and they were not so maybe he fixed them overnight or not. I will try again maybe today and see if it works better.

Again, HUGE THANKS TO THE DEVELOPER!!!!

At first i tried downloading a section of the DC area map by using the phone and this took a long time. Where do i go on my computer to download maps and how do i then transfer them to the phone? I am going to check the forums but i figure, so far you guys are pretty good with answers here.

Thanks,
    Ok, viewed the tutorial and i think i might have done it right, (i use diskaid instead of ssh, but same difference).

One question does it matter at what level you download the map at? For instance, is their a better level to download the map, making it clearer or more precise etc....?

Thanks,
    2009-02-13 11:44 PM
    Ok, viewed the tutorial and i think i might have done it right, (i use diskaid instead of ssh, but same difference).

One question does it matter at what level you download the map at? For instance, is their a better level to download the map, making it clearer or more precise etc....?

Thanks,
    I don't think so, I tried to download a map of the greater Boston area today, and it said it'd be 2GB -_-'
    2009-02-14 02:16 AM

already available in Israel for a while now
    an alternative navigation system with voice direction used to be called freemap now its called waze

www.waze.co.il
    2009-02-15 12:36 AM
273 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD