yeah its a luxury but then so is the ipad etc
    2010-05-16 04:09 AM
    Can anyone who purchased this confirm if you can initiate the sync process from the phone, or do you still need to be at the computer to start sync? If you have to be in front of the computer, whats the point?
    2010-05-16 04:09 AM
    $10... You know how much it would cost for a wireless usb cable? Probably upwards of $100. Everything on the iphone is actually really cheap. If i wanted need for speed shift, i'd have to pay an arm and a leg for the ps3(yeah, i dont have xbox- SUCK IT MICROSOFT!!!) versions- $60 it's $5 in the app store.
    This is kinda irrelevant but I just think its kinda funny you say suck it to Microsoft that they don't get your money. The thing is, Microsoft actually helps people with their money. Bill Gates is trying to get new vaccines for sick people. What does Sony do? Fill their rooms with it and swim? This isn't all console wars, I just find it kinda funny.

Can anyone who purchased this confirm if you can initiate the sync process from the phone, or do you still need to be at the computer to start sync? If you have to be in front of the computer, whats the point?
    Its most likely wifi connection to PC. So you can be in another room as long as your wifi router reaches that far. So you can sync on the toilet if you wanted. Also, if you have a cat, since cats are ***holes, it may have chewed through your USB and you have to buy another. What like $5 for one? This is twice that, but you never have to replace it, and your not restricted with like a 1 foot wire. Its just easier.
    Last edited by UnknownToaster; 2010-05-16 at 04:18 AM.
    2010-05-16 04:14 AM
    If you have your phone set to automatically when connected, it will act the same way
    with this app.
    2010-05-16 05:11 AM
    U can initiate the sync once u open the app and u can set so it doesnt back up your phone before it syncs ur media everytime.
    2010-05-16 08:23 AM
    If i wanted need for speed shift, i'd have to pay an arm and a leg for the ps3(yeah, i dont have xbox- SUCK IT MICROSOFT!!!) versions- $60 it's $5 in the app store.
    You know why its only $5? Its only worth $5.
    At least the PS3 version is worth $30, maybe $40. That's why I don't have it either. I'm waiting for the price to drop.
    2010-05-16 09:17 AM
    Downloaded this yesterday and I'm pleased with it. Works well, shame about the lack of photo support though.
    2010-05-16 12:02 PM
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Devs on cydia are SO out of touch...$10...get the hell out of here.
    2010-05-16 05:11 PM
    Hi all, I'm the developer of this app. I wanted to clear up the piracy issue so there's no confusion.

I made the mistake of implying, wrongly, that the app could potentially cause damage to your iTunes library if pirated. That isn't true and the app contains no code which could do anything like that. Clearly to do so would be absolutely wrong and I wouldn't put any legit customer at risk. I suggested that pirates should keep a backup of their data to deter them, but of course I realise now that it was a mistake to do so and I apologise unreservedly to anyone who took it seriously.
    Thanks for the apology.

Now, how about that Windows version? I made the mistake of purchasing today only to find out (not being smart and checking beforehand) to see if the Windows version was available. Is 8-10 weeks true??? If so...
    2010-05-17 03:17 AM
    does one have to purchase for each device iphone, ipad and itouch?

thanks,
    2010-05-17 04:08 AM
    ^ cydia store purchases are good for 5 devices
    2010-05-17 04:22 AM
    @stealthbravo thanks, im in...
    2010-05-17 04:54 AM
    It appears that this sync also works with DiskAid over wifi. Not sure if that was advertised or not but it's pretty freaking awesome.
    2010-05-17 07:45 PM
    It appears that this sync also works with DiskAid over wifi. Not sure if that was advertised or not but it's pretty freaking awesome.
    Off-topic but I'll say it anyway: ever since DiskAid cost money (and it was fantastic until it did), iPhoneExplorer all the way.
    2010-05-17 07:51 PM
    Yea iPhone Explorer is where its at.
    2010-05-17 08:06 PM
    Downloaded this yesterday and I'm pleased with it. Works well, shame about the lack of photo support though.
    I thought the dev. specfically referenced it working with photos in his video?

hmm maybe thats possible. Setup a VPN at home,, configure iphone to connect to the vpn that'll put you on the same network. The sync app should realize that and see your mac and you should be able to sync... theoretically!!
    Seconded, was going to post this but you did. It should work this way from anywhere you can get an internet connection AND it's secure.

This is a cool concept, but there are a few reasons why its just not worst the money. First there is no way its faster than USB... the dev even said so. you cant get your photos off of your phone with it. The phone is on wifi the entire time your doing it.... so your probably in your house.... so your battery is draining, which would be remedied by simply plugging your phone in via usb to do the sync. Not to mention the fact that I sync my phone about once a month if that, so $10 for the novelty of wifi sync just isn't worth it to me when the usb cord comes free with the phone.( not to mention the fact that i have like 20 of them)
    No, it's not going to be faster then a direct cable connection, that's a given.

It looked like it synced his photos too in the video.

The phone MAY be on wifi in your house OR you could be in WIFI elsewhere technically and VPN in and sync that way.

Not everyone charges their phone with the cable connected to the pc, some of us have docks or keep it plugged in in a different room.
    Last edited by tekwiz; 2010-05-17 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-17 10:32 PM
    @StealthBravo
    I notice you said you put this on your iPad (as did I).
    Worked fine yesterday, but iTunes doesn't seem to 'see' the iPad today.

The app in the title bar on my mac and the app on the iPad seem to connect, but iTunes doesn't see the iPad as being plugged in. I've tried unpairing, repairing and then starting iTunes but no joy today.

Anyone else get this?

Oh, how do you kill wifisync without rebooting?
    How do you uninstall?
    Where's the app actually installed?

hmmm... activity monitor shows two related processes: wifisync and ituneshelper.
    based on the messages below and trying to kill them I'm guessing that wifisync spawns ituneshelper

5/20/10 6:24:23 AM iTunesHelper[82624] _connect_to_port: Could not connect to USB mux port 32498 for device 1001: Device not configured
    5/20/10 6:28:18 AM iTunesHelper[82624] _connect_to_port: Could not connect to USB mux port 32498 for device 1002: Device not configured
    5/20/10 6:37:25 AM iTunesHelper[82624] _connect_to_port: Could not connect to USB mux port 32498 for device 1003: Device not configured
    5/20/10 6:38:20 AM iTunesHelper[82624] _connect_to_port: Could not connect to USB mux port 32498 for device 1004: Device not configured
    5/20/10 6:39:21 AM com.apple.usbmuxd[98] HandleUSBMuxConnect Client 0x407f10-iTunesHelper/com.apple.iTunesHelper requesting attach to 0x3ed:62078 failed, no such device
    5/20/10 6:39:21 AM iTunesHelper[82624] _connect_to_port: Could not connect to USB mux port 32498 for device 1005: Device not configured
    5/20/10 6:39:53 AM com.apple.usbmuxd[98] HandleUSBMuxConnect Client 0x407f10-iTunesHelper/com.apple.iTunesHelper requesting attach to 0x3ee:62078 failed, no such device
    5/20/10 6:39:53 AM iTunesHelper[82624] _connect_to_port: Could not connect to USB mux port 32498 for device 1006: Device not configured
    5/20/10 6:40:13 AM com.apple.usbmuxd[98] HandleUSBMuxConnect Client 0x202620-iTunesHelper/com.apple.iTunesHelper requesting attach to 0x3ef:62078 failed, no such device
    5/20/10 6:40:13 AM iTunesHelper[82624] _connect_to_port: Could not connect to USB mux port 32498 for device 1007: Device not configured

anyhow... app developer said iPad-specific app would be available in a few weeks... I'm just looking to try to uninstall/reinstall and he didn't make that part too easy...

------------------------------
    5/20

I found the directory it installs it in /Library/Application Support/Wi-Fi Sync/wifisync.app (hidden).
    So I trashed that, killed the processes (couldn't re-launch), and reinstalled (requiring reboot).
    Works fine now.

I suspect that the problem is related to multiple accounts. My wife was logged in and there were per-users processes running and I think that kinda broke something. Working now, but I'll post back if it happens again when my wife logs in (I think the second process tries to 'pair' and something gets broke during that.)

On my MBP, I'm mostly the only user and I have no problems there (no other user has logged in).

But, seriously, dev needs to provide a more obvious way to kill the app and uninstall (and can't we install without a reboot? This isn't windows, for pete's sake.)

Other than those (and I know this is brand new, so there's growing pains) I really like this because I'd like to leave my iPad or iPhone docked on my fireplace instead of walking back to the Macs. Next step is sync via vpn so I can sync everything back to one Mac instead of 'satelliting' to my MBP.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 2010-05-20 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-20 06:56 PM
    Sometimes i hate being on Windows. Have to wait so long. But just waiting for the laptop to crash. Then ill be on MBP and cant wait for the windows version.
    2010-05-22 07:30 AM
    Awesome app totally worth it!! Does exactly what its supposed to do!! And no need to carry my cable around!!
    2010-05-24 02:31 AM
    i don't know if it's a coincidence i downloaded an update last night from apple onto my macbook running latest snow leopard, but now wifi sync does NOT work and i get error 0xe8000065
    2010-05-25 08:23 PM
264 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD