I think the "grandfathered" will last till you change your data plan. Say you go to a lower step. The min you do that then you are out. I had a great minutes plan that i had for years and kept being able to renew that contract. But I lost it the moment I had to add another line. Because I had to get more minutes. So I will never be able to go back to the great plan I had. So I would think they will work the same way.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-06-04 03:34 AM
    ok here's my 2 cents:

1) for those of you that dont use that much data w/ your iphone the plans are fine so i agree with you there. the new plan pricing/overage charges DO make sense and are a smarter choice for those customers, so go ahead and change your plan, save your $5/month.

2) but for those that actually USE THEIR IPHONE FOR WHAT IT WAS MADE FOR, keep your so-called "unlimited" (whole other topic) data (i'm in that group). i'm usually well over 2gb/month. sh!t, since i got back from deployment i've used more and more data w/ more apps that i've been downloading, as well as tethering...quite a bit since i dont have wifi readily available where i'm stationed.

3) how about NEW users? why not give them the option to still get an "unlimited"-data-plan-with-5gb cap and still have the lesser options? the excuse to put less loads on their network is rediculous! seriously? how about UPGRADE YOUR NETWORKS AT&T?! you KNOW that people using a phone w/ these features and functions that people are going to want to use more data!

4) from point 2: how can you call an "unlimited" data plan UNLIMITED if you have a 5gb cap?! now THAT'S false advertising, even IF it's stated in the small print, it's still not "unlimited"!

5) this applies to me and i'm sure at least SOME other customers out there. i'm was planning on adding my fiance to my plan and we were both going to get the new iphone when it comes out, but will this be considered a "plan change"? will i still keep MY unlimited and she can have a different data plan? how will this situation effect me?

i have had at&t since the first iphone came out and generally havent had a problem w/ their service, signal, etc except for a few places around the country, but for the most part i havent had any complaints. BUT if i go to add a line for my fiance and we dont get unlimited plans (we will be using a good amount of data on each phone and probably video calls since we're apart a lot) i will probably be taking my business elsewhere, and will probably NOT pay a damn ETF! so i'll be freeing up some of that bandwith for yall!

so for those that are crying about people crying about at&t's business decisions, just remember that YOU are not the only ones affected by this change and really doesnt effect a lot of current customers in a negative way but it may be good for you but it's not good for EVERYONE! everyone has their own wants and needs and by them just dropping their "unlimited" options for a phone that was intended to use a good amount data for new users and possibly even SOME current customers instead of upgrading their networks really is a poor business decision.

so to recap, good on at&t to try to save us money (which probably isnt their real intentions) but still keep an unlimited (an actual unlimited or one w/ a higher cap and not call it unlimited) option available! upgrade your networks if these smartphones are killing your bandwith, that's what these things are made for!

i really apologize for the long post but i just wanted to get some points across and try to get some questions answered. thanks for being good sports!

edit: ok, so that was more than 2 cents! more like 2 dollars! this is kinda like my data useage! lmao
    2010-06-04 03:36 AM
    I think the "grandfathered" will last till you change your data plan. Say you go to a lower step. The min you do that then you are out. I had a great minutes plan that i had for years and kept being able to renew that contract. But I lost it the moment I had to add another line. Because I had to get more minutes. So I will never be able to go back to the great plan I had. So I would think they will work the same way.
    Here's to hoping that is accurate. The "extra" $5 a month is worth it to keep that plan IMO. Hell, seems to me eBaying "grandfathered" iphone plans is going to be the new big thing! LOL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2010-06-04 03:42 AM
    I guess I will be ok....
    Attached Thumbnails New AT&T Plans Called "Bait-and-Switch"-screen.shot.2010.06.03..8.37.49.pm.png  
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2010-06-04 at 03:53 AM.
    2010-06-04 03:48 AM
    ok here's my 2 cents:

how about NEW users? why not give them the option to still get an "unlimited"-data-plan-with-5gb cap and still have the lesser options? the excuse to put less loads on their network is rediculous! seriously? how about UPGRADE YOUR NETWORKS AT&T?! you KNOW that people using a phone w/ these features and functions that people are going to want to use more data!
    The issue is that NO network can handle unlimited usage, which is why they are trying to get rid of it. When they started the iPhone plans they probably couldn't have dreamt it would be this successful. They made the mistake of even allowing unlimited data in the first place. Then you have those who are using 30 gigs (or some ungodly number) per month "because they can", Frankly, I still stand firmly on the belief that it is those people that ruined it for everyone. Streaming data 24/7 and replacing your in home broadband is just not what the network was made to do. There is only so much upgrading ATT can do to their network and still make it profitable for them. Just about the only point that doesn't make sense to me is their tethering plan. Frankly, those who pay for tethering should automatically be upgraded to an unlimited plan regardless of when they signed a contract. Either that, or not charge for tethering at all seeing as how they are imposing data limits on each line.

This topic is the number one reason I am bummed Verizon didn't get the iPhone. I wanted to see what sorts of ridiculous prices and limits they would put on their data. You can be sure it would be just as "bad" as ATT.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2010-06-04 at 03:55 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2010-06-04 03:49 AM
    I don't know why I keep hearing people say the unlimited data on AT&T has a 5GB cap? I use easily 10 to 15GB a month I stream podcasts video and audio , watch you tube......... And have never been charged extra!

Today I called AT&T to ask about iPad n iPhone data plans! The lady asked her supervisor about the iPad n she said there's no change.......hum? Why don't they know about that? Then on the iPhone I'm up for an upgrade , I asked if I upgrade am I going to lose my unlimited data plan? She said as long as I'm a iPhone customer and have the data plan before 6/7/10 then I'm grandfathered in and can upgrade and keep my unlimited data plan!

Know has anyone personally called AT&T and asked them?

Also if they do it on the iPad that's just bad business! I bought a wifi iPad n was talked into buying a iPad 3G 64gb just because AT&T offered that plan! And know I'm hearing conflicting stories? If it's true that's seriously F'd up! I was attracted to it like I said for NO CONTRACT AND UNLIMITED DATA FOR 29.99 SERIOUSLY ATT THATS F'D UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Apple are u going to refund all the dang ipads that were sold specially for that good deal? Do you really think apple or should I say mr.jobs that you would of sold that many ipads if that deal wasn't put on a hook n held in front of our faces?
    Mad mad mad !
    2010-06-04 03:50 AM
    there is no 5GB cap, as I average 15GB monthly.
    2010-06-04 03:51 AM
    Glad I'm Grandfathered in on this one.....

Jailbreak + MyWi = glorious win = AT&T tears.
    2010-06-04 03:53 AM
    Is it so hard to believe that some people don't have access to wifi, I personally don't spend time at starbucks all day.
    2010-06-04 03:58 AM
    you can upgrade to the new iPhone HD or upgrade your firmware on 3gs. As long as you have your current unlimited data plan you are grandfathered in, they can't make you switch to the new plan.
    What makes you think this? It seems when you buy a subsidized iPhone 4g, you'll have to sign a new 2 year contract, which will have the new data terms in it.

Unless I'm missing something here....
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone
    2010-06-04 03:59 AM
    i have had at&t since the first iphone came out and generally havent had a problem w/ their service, signal, etc except for a few places around the country, but for the most part i havent had any complaints. BUT if i go to add a line for my fiance and we dont get unlimited plans (we will be using a good amount of data on each phone and probably video calls since we're apart a lot) i will probably be taking my business elsewhere, and will probably NOT pay a damn ETF! so i'll be freeing up some of that bandwith for yall!
    What other network do you plan to do video conferences on? It seems to me you are saying "I can't have what I want with ATT, so I will go elsewhere, where I will also not get what I want, but at least I am sticking it to the man!"

Is it so hard to believe that some people don't have access to wifi, I personally don't spend time at starbucks all day.
    I don't think it's hard to believe, but where do you spend free time? Even at work, unless you are using your data on the clock, you should only really have an hour or two a day, right?

What makes you think this? It seems when you buy a subsidized iPhone 4g, you'll have to sign a new 2 year contract, which will have the new data terms in it.

Unless I'm missing something here....
    People have called and asked...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2010-06-04 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2010-06-04 04:03 AM
    I don't spend any time at starbucks. I have wifi at work and at home. I prefer a home ISP for a stable and fast connection.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-06-04 04:06 AM
    i don't spend any time at starbucks. I have wifi at work and at home. I prefer a home isp for a stable and fast connection.
    that

2010-06-04 04:08 AM
    What other network do you plan to do video conferences on? It seems to me you are saying "I can't have what I want with ATT, so I will go elsewhere, where I will also not get what I want, but at least I am sticking it to the man!"

What people are missing is that, telecoms rarely ever make decisions like this, and are not followed by the others, just like when the $99 unlimited rolled out, expect all domestic carriers to have tiered data pricing soon

I don't think it's hard to believe, but where do you spend free time? Even at work, unless you are using your data on the clock, you should only really have an hour or two a day, right?

I stream Pandora 8 hrs a night 7 days a week, iHeartradio 4 hrs a day 5 days a week. coupled with the casual video streaming here or there, there are websites that stream full movies to the iPhone btw, data goes quickly
    2010-06-04 04:09 AM

I stream Pandora 8 hrs a night 7 days a week, iHeartradio 4 hrs a day 5 days a week. coupled with the casual video streaming here or there, there are websites that stream full movies to the iPhone btw, data goes quickly
    That's my point. Streaming Pandora 8 hours a day is a bit excessive. Whether you do it or not, I am sure you can admit that this is NOT what was in mind with a data plan, and frankly is the reason ATT has been so strict on letting Appstore apps run off of 3G. You prove my point, you and a handful of others are the statistic that was mentioned earlier.

2010-06-04 04:15 AM
    The issue is that NO network can handle unlimited usage, which is why they are trying to get rid of it. When they started the iPhone plans they probably couldn't have dreamt it would be this successful. They made the mistake of even allowing unlimited data in the first place. Then you have those who are using 30 gigs (or some ungodly number) per month "because they can", Frankly, I still stand firmly on the belief that it is those people that ruined it for everyone. Streaming data 24/7 and replacing your in home broadband is just not what the network was made to do. There is only so much upgrading ATT can do to their network and still make it profitable for them. Just about the only point that doesn't make sense to me is their tethering plan. Frankly, those who pay for tethering should automatically be upgraded to an unlimited plan regardless of when they signed a contract. Either that, or not charge for tethering at all seeing as how they are imposing data limits on each line.

This topic is the number one reason I am bummed Verizon didn't get the iPhone. I wanted to see what sorts of ridiculous prices and limits they would put on their data. You can be sure it would be just as "bad" as ATT.
    hey i agree, the networks werent made for that type of bandwith usage and maybe they DIDNT realize it would take off as well as it did, but you would think that by now, 3 years down the road w/ JUST APPLE PRODUCTS ALONE on their networks that they would eventually need to really start doing some major upgrading?? and i also agree w/ you on the "unlimited" useage part, but then dont call something unlimited if it has a cap. they should have just added that as one of their higher tiers and removed the title "unlimited".

haha, the video calling isnt an absolute necessity for us, it just would have been nice and convenient. and the point was that IF the new iphone was able to do video calls over the network and not just wifi that it would add up a lot of data useage for both of us along w/ the fact that IF att tries to bump me off of my unlimited data because i add her then i might as well just go to a provider that still offers unlimited data. it's all in perception and treatment from the service provider or any business for that matter. say you shop at best buy all the time, and generally have a good experience, but that one time that you have a really bad experience, you're probably going to go somewhere else to buy the same type of equipment. that's business and how consumer choice works.
    2010-06-04 04:20 AM
    This is awesome i cant wait to use that feature i was promised a year ago!!!!!
    2010-06-04 04:29 AM
    During trips (Im JB with tether) I have reached a little over a gig. No video just file access, some browsing and work related stuff. This is usually only once or twice a year. For the most part i am around 80 to 100 meg. I am ok with the 2 gig limit for new customers. However, I feel its wrong if they do not allow its faithful customers that have been with them to have to roll into the new plan when their term is up. If they (old customers) decide to re-up they should be given the opportunity to keep the original based plan. Their business model and management planning was asleep when they signed up with Apple on the iPhone. I believe they only seen $$$$$ and did not have a good business plan to ensure it could keep up with what it was offering its customers. For me it doesn't really matter but I do believe that others should have the right to stream a movie or two without paying extra. Lastly the main reason I am against this is restrictive changes tend to lead to other restrictions...no unlimited SMS, phone calls ect...

DK
    2010-06-04 04:30 AM
    hey i agree, the networks werent made for that type of bandwith usage and maybe they DIDNT realize it would take off as well as it did, but you would think that by now, 3 years down the road w/ JUST APPLE PRODUCTS ALONE on their networks that they would eventually need to really start doing some major upgrading?? and i also agree w/ you on the "unlimited" useage part, but then dont call something unlimited if it has a cap. they should have just added that as one of their higher tiers and removed the title "unlimited".

haha, the video calling isnt an absolute necessity for us, it just would have been nice and convenient. and the point was that IF the new iphone was able to do video calls over the network and not just wifi that it would add up a lot of data useage for both of us along w/ the fact that IF att tries to bump me off of my unlimited data because i add her then i might as well just go to a provider that still offers unlimited data. it's all in perception and treatment from the service provider or any business for that matter. say you shop at best buy all the time, and generally have a good experience, but that one time that you have a really bad experience, you're probably going to go somewhere else to buy the same type of equipment. that's business and how consumer choice works.
    I think the point is that it is literally not cost effective for them to keep upgrading. I am honestly not sure what it takes to be doing all of the upgrading, except that it is tons of money. In some cities there may even be physical limitations to what else they can add. Let's analyze the situation here. More people will think this is a bad thing than that will think it is a good thing. I REALLY doubt ATT is taking this step without fully considering the alternatives first and the consequences second. Bottom line, this is probably the best decision for the masses, that will keep the most people happy. Another way to put it is, ATT is done catering to the needs of the people using dozens of gigs of data a month since that it their minority. That minority can leave and they still wouldn't be hurting (hell, they'd be better off since their speeds wouldn't be so bogged down).

As for bad service, that is a mater of opinion. I don't see how offering people to have a permanently grandfathered line is bad service, but to each his own. In all honesty, I wish you the best of luck finding another carrier with truly unlimited data. I say this, because there simply isn't one.

For what it's worth, if your iphone is not on a family plan currently, your plan will be changed (and you will most likely lose that unlimited plan pricing). If you are considering sticking with the company and want to keep the plan, I would convert to a family plan before the 7th. We just six months ago added my girlfriend a line and had to bump the iphone to family plan ($10 more per month with 200 more minutes or something like that). I know that this technically changed my plan too, which is reflected on my upgrade timing. A couple weeks ago I was pretty bummed about seeing that, but now I am pretty happy. Both lines are grandfathered in this way, but I will have to pay more for the next gen phone.

2010-06-04 04:32 AM
    AT&T is g r e e d y. . .
    2010-06-04 04:36 AM
173 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD