Huh a few thoughts here...firstly those saying that the update will be released outside of the 30 day return window, you guys have a point. While it is obvious that a simple formula change does not take a few weeks to implement. One might hope that they've got something else up their sleeves but with all of the negative sentiment surrounding apple and the regard they seem to hold the customer in one might not be out of line to think its a scam to prevent returns. I can say that I have not personally been able to replicate this "Death Grip" I have gotten a couple of dropped calls but they do always seem to be in the same place, supporting apples assertion that signal strength is being inaccurately reported. Its ironic because per the gizmodo prototype its obvious that field testing occurred with cases, therefore elimating the bridging/ change in attenuation/impeadance. I guess we will just have to stay tuned and see what happens, but I really couldn't be happier with my i4.
    2010-07-02 11:54 PM
    Because it would make too much sense for the w00kies to do that. They would rather complain and "hope" for a fix. Because they have the so called "Best Smart" on the market. Best at getting less signal, thats about it (IMO).

Yes if they ALL took back that Crapple and made Steve Jobs hand them their money back. Yes his company would feel the pain if enough people did that. Yet his company will not feel anything as long as they keep the Crapple phone. Everyone should wake up and just realize its not all that Apple claims it is.

3GS iOS 4, jailbroken, unlocked, and 5 BARS (for the win).
    Thanks for the support buddy, I'm glad I'm not alone and some people do understand what's going on. A++++++!

Damn homie. Learn how to break up run-on sentences. .......
    ...you are not my teacher so better keep your mouth shot. English is not my native language but regardless on how good or bad I speak and how many mistakes I'm making even if it's the same level, but I can speak, read and write in 6 languages, CAN YOU?????? I DOUBT.
    Last edited by bolojohn; 2010-07-03 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-03 12:11 AM
    Huh a few thoughts here...firstly those saying that the update will be released outside of the 30 day return window, you guys have a point. While it is obvious that a simple formula change does not take a few weeks to implement. One might hope that they've got something else up their sleeves but with all of the negative sentiment surrounding apple and the regard they seem to hold the customer in one might not be out of line to think its a scam to prevent returns. I can say that I have not personally been able to replicate this "Death Grip" I have gotten a couple of dropped calls but they do always seem to be in the same place, supporting apples assertion that signal strength is being inaccurately reported. Its ironic because per the gizmodo prototype its obvious that field testing occurred with cases, therefore elimating the bridging/ change in attenuation/impeadance. I guess we will just have to stay tuned and see what happens, but I really couldn't be happier with my i4.
    Eh, any good QA engineer would test any device with no case. You try to use the device in every way possible. I still don't see how they could not have known about this. Seems like too much of a coincidence that Apple just decided to take a stab at a case, a case which doesn't cover anything other then the faulty antenna band. My guess is they found this problem too late to change the hardware so they figured they would charge you $30 for a crappy fix. Nobody testing the device used it without a case in their home? Nobody who spent days and days testing and evaluating a new flagship product never held the phone the natural way you normally would? If they had something else up their sleeve for this update why wouldn't they just come out and say that. Apple's PR people must have thought this "letter" would annoy and upset people even more, if not they need to find a new field...

Hell I noticed this issue within an hour of having it at home, never heard of the problem before hand and not even trying to find issues. I got a replacement the next day which was specially boxed with the phone only to be used as replacements and had the same issue. If their QA team did not catch this it is a complete failure on their part, there is no excuse for this going un-noticed...
    Last edited by stasis; 2010-07-03 at 12:30 AM.
    2010-07-03 12:23 AM
    Jobs & Gates discuss iPhone 4 law suit
    2010-07-03 12:24 AM
    Ok so the iPhone is displaying 2 bars more than it should be. Well then the iPhone sucks for reception. Since I never get more than 3 bars in my home on any iPhone I've owned (all 4). All my other phones get perfect service 99% of the time Nexus, E63, and my v8 never have a issue with reception. All use the same service, same number. Not saying much for Apple's quality.
    It is displaying wrong because of the software update that made it show more bars. Can't remember if it was 2.x or 3.x, but I do remember there was a update for it. I think it was to fix problems on the 3G. Anyone else remember this.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.
    2010-07-03 12:27 AM
    Fortunately I was smart enough to not to sell my 32gb 3Gs before or right after buying iphone 4, I'm not to far from other people who so much got used to iphone and I can not live without it because it's a lot more than just a telephone to me, that's why I'm so frustrated and mad at the same time, Apple can make very good products so why is the iphone 4 so f*cked up device?????????
    2010-07-03 12:27 AM
    Why is it that only people in the united states seem to be complaining about this so called death grip? I mean with soooo many sold in other countries why are there not big complaints from all over the world?

I have an iPhone 4 and try as I might I ca not get it to drop a signal by the so called death grip.
    There wern't "soooo many sold in other countries" because it got delayed in most others due to the supply shortage.
    2010-07-03 12:29 AM
    Ok so the iPhone is displaying 2 bars more than it should be. Well then the iPhone sucks for reception. Since I never get more than 3 bars in my home on any iPhone I've owned (all 4). All my other phones get perfect service 99% of the time Nexus, E63, and my v8 never have a issue with reception. All use the same service, same number. Not saying much for Apple's quality.
    It is displaying wrong because of the software update that made it show more bars. Can't remember if it was 2.x or 3.x, but I do remember there was a update for it. I think it was to fix problems on the 3G. Anyone else remember this.
    Exactly, just sitting on the couch in the same spot as my 3GS it shows less signal then the 3GS, if my phone supposedly shows 2 more bars then it should be then I'm f'ed. And Apple CAN NOT say this has been the same in the 3GS, I use the phone in the same place and in the same manor yet have nothing but problems with the 4 compared to the 3GS. I even cut up an old sim card so that I could tape the mini one to it and use it in my 3GS for any important calls. Do you know how unprofessional and annoying it is when you are on an interview call and your phone keeps dropping...?
    2010-07-03 12:35 AM
    Here is where you will have to swallow a now very bitter pill if you are defending the iPhone:

On page 18 of the Nokia E71 manual:

"Antennas
    Your device may have internal and external antennas. As with any radio transmitting device, avoid touching the antenna area unnecessarily while the antenna is transmitting or receiving. Contact with such an antenna affects the communication quality and may cause the device to operate at a higher power level
    than otherwise needed and may reduce the battery life."

So you are correct about the Nokia E71, but the difference between Apple and Nokia is now apparent. Nokia knows this in advance and prints it in the user manual.

What is Apple doing again?
    Actually, that is in many other manuals say too and, rather than to say that it will negatively affect the call, it is to warn you that the phone COMPENSATES for the obstruction by boosting the power level, which is precisely why the antenna was moved away from your head to begin with (decrease absorption of potentially harmful radio waves). Concern over boosting harmful radiation != warning that it will drop the call or notification that it is normal.
    Last edited by CZroe; 2010-07-03 at 01:09 AM.
    2010-07-03 12:39 AM
    This is pure BS with on wrong bars. I can death grip my 3GS and no dropping bars and 5 bars shown. My iPhone 4 will drop bars after 10-15 secs while naturally holding the phone vertically EVEN WITH SILICONE BUMPERS! It will drop on any Iphone 4 , encased or not.
    2010-07-03 12:41 AM
    How about this, everyone take your phone in and get a replacement before the 30 days, the "Genius" I talked to when I replaced my phone on day 2 said that the return period is extended from the day that I got the replacement.
    2010-07-03 12:41 AM
    To me now the issue isn't the fact that the phone has a problem, it's the way apple is trying go around the fact that it's not a software problem. There's no way that when you hold your finger over the black band(bridging the gap between antennas) that software magically displays the wrong amount of bars.

I seriously wouldn't care about it anymore if apple just accepted it and told everyone the truth.
    2010-07-03 12:52 AM
    Yeah thats what is really annoying, just admit your mistake and fix it. People are pissed because of Apple's complete ignorance and disregard to this. I knew about this problem since day 1 and would be completely happy if they just fixed it. Staying quiet and lying to your customers to get you past the return period is appalling and I bet will end up hurting Apple more then the loss of revenue from actually fixing this problem. Companies make mistakes, it is going to happen, even to Apple. The way they handle it shows a lot, and that is what is making people mad. You don't get ANYWHERE being nice and calm, showing your frustration and expressing your disgust is the ONLY thing that makes these companies react and actually step up and do something. If nobody made such a fuss over this do you think they would ever had even responded with their BS letter?
    2010-07-03 12:59 AM
    Who is this we you speak of? I have had NO dropped call or reception issues.
    maybe the "we" he speaks of is him and the other people that thanked his post(and don't forget the other people that didn't thank his post cuz not every one does the thanks thing for some reason), lol maybe u should have checked it out more before u shot his statement down.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck
    2010-07-03 01:19 AM
    A few weeks.... I create complete themes in a few weeks. I wonder what else this update will contain? Hopefully a more sensitive proximity sensor, and a faster frequency exchange rate
    They already released a fix for the exchange stuff and to fix the proximity sensor, simply restore...
    2010-07-03 01:20 AM
    Hey Apple, what about videos like this which obviously show a call being repeatedly dropped when holding it correctly?

You're kidding, right? You (or whoever that is) hold the phone by literally wrapping the bottom half with the entirety of your palm? I mean in that position you can't even properly hit the hang out button (as it was shown). Holding it like that you'll end up with your HAND to your ear rather than the phone.

So yeah I guess if you do hold it in the most unconfortable and deliberate way to block/bridge the antenna, it'll drop calls. Holding it like a human being on the other hand, it'll lose 2-3 bars as has been nothing but the calls won't drop.

I'm left handed so I should know about this issue. Naturally holding the phone with your left hand does NOT look like that. You'd be holding a bit more to the left so your thumb run across the side of the phone and the other side is being by your fingers. Gives you control of mute/volume and you can reach anywhere on the screen (cept the top right) without having to move the phone around. So your hand is kinda arcing around the phone when you're holding it rather than the phone resting on your palm.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2010-07-03 at 01:26 AM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.
    2010-07-03 01:22 AM
    Hey idiot, the video shows using the phone on speakerphone, holding it naturally how you would in order to hit the keypad with your thumb to go through a series of menus when calling AT&T... Do you not have your sound on? Of course you can hold it in a way up to your ear that wont effect it, but people are not only using their phone up to their ear, how the hell do you hold it when using apps etc with one hand??? Should we hold it with two fingers and use the other hand to touch the screen anytime we want to do anything on it??? If fact just yesterday I saw someone who looked like an idiot because he was holding his iphone4 in such a weird way with just two fingers in order to keep it from dropping...
    2010-07-03 01:31 AM
    If you're holding it on speakerphone you can literally hold it any way you want why wrap your hand around the one spot that has known issues? Or put in on a table/desk/dog/wall as you no longer need to hold the phone to begin with!

PS: This is how the pros hold phones

Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2010-07-03 at 01:36 AM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.
    2010-07-03 01:33 AM
    If you're holding it on speakerphone you can literally hold it any way you want why wrap your hand around the one spot that has known issues? Or put in on a table/desk/dog/wall as you no longer need to hold the phone to begin with!
    I am pretty sure its just a super uber apple fan boy thing.. they see the videos/pictures of how apple holds it and they have to do the same.
    2010-07-03 01:35 AM
    If you're holding it on speakerphone you can literally hold it any way you want why wrap your hand around the one spot that has known issues?
    BECAUSE HE IS ENTERING KEYS WITH HIS THUMB, HOW THE HELL ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO THAT WITH JUST ONE HAND?

Of course you can hold a special, odd way and use your other hand to enter keys, BUT YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO! The video proves a point, obviously you wouldn't normally do that knowing there is an issue, that is exactly the point. No other phone requires you to hold it a special way to make a call or keep your call from dropping. If you hold it that way, a normal, natural way, the call drops. Not occasionally, every time. What if someone who is not familiar with said issue picks up an iPhone4 to call 911, I guess it is their fault they could not make the call because everyone should know about the iPhone antenna problem and should know not to hold it that way...
    2010-07-03 01:41 AM
230 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD