Looks like it is already screwed up. If you try to update intelliborn programs in cydia you get connection refused errors. You can not even install a bunch of apps now. Mass host unreachable errors also. Nice job on a smooth transition. NOT! Before you announce something you might want to make sure it actually works. How about getting apt.modmyi.com back online!
    A) Neither Mario nor I have absolutely any control over ModMyi's servers being offline. B) They were online when this was announced, for what it is worth. C) This outage is totally unrelated to this transition, and should affect both Cydia and Rock (although in slightly different ways).

Antman217 has an iPhone 3G but I only have an iPod 2g. WHY MUST ROCK DIE? I'm very sad :(
    I really have no control over what kind of iDevice you have. :( For what it is worth, I believe the iPod 2G is faster than the iPhone 3G.

(I am now going to bed, btw: I've been doing nothing but responding to forum posts here for the last 6 hours, and it is now 7:30AM. ;P)
    Last edited by saurik; 2010-09-12 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-12 04:34 PM
    just had to restore my phone, and had made a backup of all my apps in rock but since the repo is down i cannot restore my backup

will there be an ETA when it will be online again just so i can use rockapp one last time?
    2010-09-12 04:40 PM
    @Saurik - I'm not sure if you're accepting resumes but I would love to forward mine to you and assist you in any capacity you see fit (volunteer or paid work).
    2010-09-12 04:40 PM
    Sorry I asked a question. I'm a 60 year old grandfather and I just started with this phone stuff a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know I was going to get flamesprayed....
    2010-09-12 04:53 PM
    i wasn't complaining, and I certainly don't believe this is a pure-profit game. I simply believe people should be compensated for their hard work and my comments were addressing the perception that this is a fully free-sharing community.

Mario is not my idol - I just get frustrated when people criticize Rock for a few issues when the majority of their work and presence in this community has produced positive results that helped us all.

Lastly, I'm man enough to admit that I was wrong and I, like many others do not claim to know it all and am in a constant state of learning. Your comments were rude and uncalled for.
    They certainly were . I was, admittedly, in a bit of a foul mood (this thread is like a trainwreck), and I am sorry to have lashed out at you.
    2010-09-12 04:54 PM
    I think it's definitely time that a lot of us with a vested interest that work out of MMi take the time to start a dialogue with Kyle to help him get a lot of these features we've been missing out on up and running. I would like to point out that for a guy who's had so many more important real-life things to worry about ("E" IS FOR EZRA), it should be up to those of us that benefit from his services to help him get us all on track.
    So, I've failed to go to sleep yet, partly because Kyle woke up, and I'm talking to him now. There was some serious miscommunication regarding this that I am willing to say was largely my fault, and I think things are going to work a lot better with regards to this particular set of issues and the Cydia Store going forward (and in fact have apparently already been fixed from the times that many of these developers in this thread were registered, which is yet another miscommunication). ;P (Yay!)
    2010-09-12 05:13 PM
    They certainly were . I was, admittedly, in a bit of a foul mood (this thread is like a trainwreck), and I am sorry to have lashed out at you.
    Thanks D - I really appreciate that

and i agree - this thread is like a black-hole and unfortunatley I've never been one to hold my opinion to myself... but holy moly, can you imagine that this is probably just a small vignette of what Saurik deals with every day? I don't know how or WHY he does it... I certainly would have run screaming in the other direction a long time ago if I was him...
    2010-09-12 05:13 PM
    Sorry I asked a question. I'm a 60 year old grandfather and I just started with this phone stuff a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know I was going to get flamesprayed....
    Sorry you had to see our "vibrant" side, most of us here are pretty good
    2010-09-12 05:14 PM
    Hey look, scruffy showed up. Since I know you're reading...... Good job on coming up, you worked hard and deserve it. Now just watch out for Apple since you're trying to move on up like George and Weezy.
    2010-09-12 05:20 PM
    Your account is not linked to this mechanism, which normally happens when the repository in question sends me a Cydia Account ID to link you with. I managed to find a payment you made to me once, and used that store account to link your vendor account. This will give you access to some aggregate statistics in the form of a fancy chart on an otherwise ugly page (which will soon also have an even uglier way to hand refunds out like candy).
    Thanks my friend. I'll take a look. Thanks again for all your hard work. Not sure how you manage the workload you have.

I'll take a look now and see if I could gain access.

Get some rest my friend.
    2010-09-12 05:34 PM
    Is this because you don't refresh very often? Is there any reason to care about the exact order? The goal of this was that, even if you added another repository, you'd always have a way to see "stuff I haven't seen before", which was the main/only use case I could come up with for such a sort (Changes is like the "dashboard" of Cydia: you open Cydia, go there, check for updates, then scroll down to the previous section, and close Cydia).

As for implementation details, APT doesn't track that, and right now neither do the repositories. Even if they did, I actually don't trust them to do this accurately, which led to another key design decision behind Changes: it must rely on no data from the repository. The reason for this is because Changes acts like a giant advertisement feed, and back in the days of Installer packages would get "bumped" to the top of the list in order to force people to see them again; repositories competed to see who could keep their popular package on the to, and the entire "sort by release date" feature was useless.

Now, Rock actually /could/ implement that feature, because they centralized repository updates, but even then the data isn't really "accurate", because they were just seeing the major refreshes from repositories. Like, if ModMyi pushes their repository at 2pm and BigBoss does at 3pm, but the packages in each were accumulated over the course of the previous 24 hours, do we really care what order those repositories went online? I just don't see the point.

What do you have installed on your device, and why is it awesome?
    Guess I just like them showing on the correct date for some reason, and no I do not refresh all too often, but I guess it will be more often now again when I can't rely on rock to tell me when updates are available.

As for featured apps/themes, I just thought of a thing, as soon as a ratings and comments system get's implemented such a page would not be needed any more, at least not as long as you could sort a category by the ratings of the packages within.

But I could give some suggestions. I do not hang around all that much on this forum so I don't know what people say here but as far as I have seen chpwns infini line of tweaks are very popular. Another of my favorite tweaks/apps o cydia right now i "Notifed(Pro)", it's best if you just check it out yourself, but they started out a while ago by adding what could be called an android like list of all you notifications and has since had a stead flow of updates and with their plugin support and some plugins the developers do on the side they are very close to completely replacing apples old, boring and annoying blue notifications and they definitely deserve to be featured

I really have no control over what kind of iDevice you have. For what it is worth, I believe the iPod 2G is faster than the iPhone 3G.
    Yea and I do believe apple would agree with you, looking at how they treat the 2gen ipod better in their new updates than they do the iphone 3g
    Last edited by Leonick91; 2010-09-12 at 06:14 PM.
    2010-09-12 06:03 PM
    This is a shame. I mean it's great seeing the merger and people can focus on just making the apps more than which store to put it on, but I will miss the Rock app itself. Rock was much faster, yes I read the post saying because it was buggier which caused it to be faster, but also I found it has less issues when looking at the apps, I can read reviews on it and see ratings and other things of that nature. The fact it showed apps in order of release was also nice. I also preferred the Rock installer pop-up more than the Cydia installer. I would like to see this as an opportunity to not only merge the stores, but merge the best things from the two apps themselves.

I love Cydia a lot too, I love how it has grown and what you have done with it. If it wasn't for Cydia, jailbreaking would have been very boring, so I can't thank you enough for it. I feel Cydia will be getting even better with this merger.

I used both apps frequently, I liked Cydia for added sources, and I liked Rock to see what's new and to quickly manage my apps.
    Last edited by pyrojing; 2010-09-12 at 07:00 PM.
    2010-09-12 06:06 PM
    Thanks for all the responses Saurik.
    It cleared up a lot of questions that I had.

I think I will be switching my Repo now that I have read all this.
    There should be no reason why this is taking so long.

I am eager and waiting patiently to see all the improvements/changes you are going to be making in Cydia.

Thanks again for all the hard work and long hours you put into making Cydia what it is.
    And I am sure you already know this, but there will always be haters that do not appreciate what you do and just "want want want"
    Just keep your head up and do not let the postings of ignorant person deter you from your work.

Thanks again.

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!
    2010-09-12 06:41 PM
    I have alot to say about this issue...but nothing I do say will matter and I will probally just "Acuire" enimies...no punt intented!

Cydia and Rock This is Jailbreak Monopoly ! We are all sincerly ****** until another store is created!=(

No offence to Suarik he is an excellent man and has done excellent things for us in the jailbreak community and like TC said I would have ran away along time ago, but in the other hand it takes forever to getr anything on cydia in fact the "Pirated Versions" usually get on before or the same day becuase they dont have to go through a long pay process! Cmon it a joke and all of us devs know it!

I seen K.nit talking ...if you reas this no offence to you either my dude but comon bro get real this is a ******* catastrophy! US Themers mine as well hang this **** up to dry with out any store compotition!

My idea is MMI Needs to create their own store now!!

MMI STORE

MMI STORE

MMI STORE

MMI STORE

As the chant continues!
    2010-09-12 06:42 PM
    I have alot to say about this issue...but nothing I do say will matter and I will probally just "Acuire" enimies...no punt intented!

Cydia and Rock This is Jailbreak Monopoly ! We are all sincerly ****** until another store is created!=(

No offence to Suarik he is an excellent man and has done excellent things for us in the jailbreak community and like TC said I would have ran away along time ago, but in the other hand it takes forever to getr anything on cydia in fact the "Pirated Versions" usually get on before or the same day becuase they dont have to go through a long pay process! Cmon it a joke and all of us devs know it!

I seen K.nit talking ...if you reas this no offence to you either my dude but comon bro get real this is a ******* catastrophy! US Themers mine as well hang this **** up to dry with out any store compotition!

My idea is MMI Needs to create their own store now!!

MMI STORE

MMI STORE

MMI STORE

MMI STORE

As the chant continues!
    i hear you Free, but I for one am so used to the waiting game in this community that I say we all sit back and see what happens. As he's proved here over the last 30 hours or so, Saurik is a good guy and there were evidently some uncovered issues that have recently been discovered with the MMi repo and he's made the commitment to look into all this stuff. Cydia is, and always has been the cornerstone of this entire jailbreak community and I'd much rather be a part of it than not. Besides, it seems like although he prescence of Rock was a great benefit to a lot of us, it did create a lot of issues and caused Saurik to focus unnecessary time and effort in areas that he really shouldn't have had to, so i for one trust that he's comitted to improving things and keeping us all going forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jealous much?
    only that the gal in your avatar isn't sitting in my lap

i want to elaborate on my original comment because I was obviously misunderstood. My point has NOTHING to do with jealosy. I challenge you to take a new member to the jailbreak community, put 10 themes in front of them WITHOUT THE NAME OF THE THEME CREATOR ATTACHED and let's see who comes out on top. All I was pointing out is that you put me or any of the other themers that have any level of success and a good theme or two on the "Featured List" smack-dab on the front-page of what is now the ONLY place to purchase and download these themes, and we'd have the same level of success as it's current inhabitants.
    Last edited by TCcentex; 2010-09-12 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-12 07:18 PM

Your bastardization of the English language aside, could you please explain to me how this is a monopoly that will have negative ramifications to the community, the apps/packages provided, and the pricing of those apps/packages?

Hell, you can create your own repository and have anything you want to be available through Cydia. Notice how pretty much everyone with a brain, including Saurik, is against cracked apps and all, yet you can still access those through Cydia if you take five minutes of your time.

All I was pointing out is that you put me or any of the other themers that have any level of success and a good theme or two on the "Featured List" smack-dab on the front-page of what is now the ONLY place to purchase and dowmload these themes, and we'd have the same level of success as it's current inhabitants.
    Exactly, jealousy over what appears to be preferential treatment towards Bars and his apps.
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-09-12 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-12 07:32 PM
    Exactly, jealousy over what appears to be preferential treatment towards Bars and his apps.
    Bars' themes speak for themselves and would absolutely stay at or very near the top of a FAIR list of featured, most popular themes. The current version of the featured list is outdated and the level of competition and quality of work has come miles and miles where it was when the current themes listed there were last updated.

But you go on feeling however you want bro - not talking to a brick wall anymore.
    2010-09-12 07:38 PM
    While Cydia (really APT, which has the same issue) should not have this bug, and I really do apologize for it, the way Rock solved this was by having a single centralized point of failure for all packages in a default repository, and they used this control to hide and filter packages that they didn't want users to see, such as ones that their installer had bugs trying to install. I consider avoiding this kind of centralized control to be part of the reason we jailbroke our phones in the first place.
    Ahhh, this was my bad. I keep forgetting that at its core, Cydia and Rock are APT (probably because they're a lot easier to use than most apt-based package managers), which has issues with that kind of thing. I don't think you should apologize for something you have no control over, just remember there are people like me who know about apt but who are too dumb to remember that Cydia happens to be based on apt. :P
    2010-09-12 07:42 PM
    The current version of the featured list is outdated and the level of competition and quality of work has come miles and miles where it was when the current themes listed there were last updated.
    And Saurik has already addressed this issue on here.

I'm not saying it's unsubstantiated jealousy, but I think we both know that you would love to be in his position regarding current/previous Cydia treatment.
    2010-09-12 07:44 PM
    I really hope the ability to install multiple packages gets fixed. I hate when ever I get 4 or 5 apps in queue and Cydia crashes and I have to start all over again and it does it again. I eventually give up and install everything one by one and reboot 50 times.
    Last edited by sekazi; 2010-09-12 at 08:01 PM.
    2010-09-12 07:47 PM
475 ... 51314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD