My apps from iTunes. Very strange.

Edit: also when I go into poof (icon hider from Cydia) the apps still show up- so pretty much my phone can't recognize the apps, I think.
    Try these:
    In poof hide all of the apps you have installed via iTunes, respring, then unhide all the apps, (worked for me Previously)

There is an app in Cydia that refreshes the springboard (much like restringing does) I can't remember what it called but looking into icon cache clearing

Like A Boss
    2010-10-11 04:34 PM
    Try these:
    In poof hide all of the apps you have installed via iTunes, respring, then unhide all the apps, (worked for me Previously)

There is an app in Cydia that refreshes the springboard (much like restringing does) I can't remember what it called but looking into icon cache clearing
    I just tried this, but it didn't work. Thanks for the help anyway.
    Last edited by ImBakinBacon; 2010-10-11 at 04:46 PM.
    2010-10-11 04:44 PM
    Followed steps...all of which worked perfectly except I now have a white linera1n logo even after restarting several times.
    Install CyDelete from Cydia and then just delete the limera1n app like you would any other.
    2010-10-11 05:06 PM

Edit: also when I go into poof (icon hider from Cydia) the apps still show up- so pretty much my phone can't recognize the apps, I think.
    This happened to me as well with folders that had more than 12 apps. The trick for me was to do a quick sync in itunes. iTunes recognizes that that this apps are no longer in those folders and puts them back on the screen. Also should be able to rearrange the apps via itunes as well. But make sure they aren't hidden or poofed.
    2010-10-11 05:16 PM
    But the weird thing is for me, in iTunes the apps are all unchecked when I sync and if I go and check them all, I'll lose all of my saved data. It also wont copy over because my "other" data is 7 gb of unreadable apps.
    2010-10-11 05:47 PM
    But the weird thing is for me, in iTunes the apps are all unchecked when I sync and if I go and check them all, I'll lose all of my saved data. It also wont copy over because my "other" data is 7 gb of unreadable apps.
    I don't understand. You shouldn't lose anything by syncing.

Just right click the name of your iPhone and transfer purchase. Then do a backup. Then you will have all of your apps with their backed up data. Can't get any simpler than that.

Rule of Thumb: Always transfer your apps into itunes and then run a backup before you sync. You won't even have to go and recheck everything. Itunes automatically knows what you have currently installed.

Just try it and report back.
    2010-10-11 05:56 PM
    If someone could help me with this, that'd be great.
    This same thing happened to my friend, and I got all white icons! So I went to cydia and uninstalled one app ( dtunes but I think you could pick any app to uninstall) when I went back to the springboard all my apps were in color, so I reinstalled my app ( dtunes, again any app should work) and all is well! So my friend tried it on his apps that were not showing and they all appeared! I think appbkup is a little buggy? Cause we both used it! We both have iPhone 4's restored to 4.1 limera1ned then set up as new phones!! Everything seems to work smooth but folder enhancer don't work! But I don't know if I'll be installing that cause on 4.0.1 it seemed really buggy after I installed it?

Followed steps...all of which worked perfectly except I now have a white linera1n logo even after restarting several times.
    Install cydia n it should turn to color
    Last edited by trialnterror; 2010-10-11 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-11 06:09 PM
    I just tried this, but it didn't work. Thanks for the help anyway.
    There is a trick to getting back lost icons that uses settings. Go into settings>General>Restrictions>Enable Restrictions. Toggle it on and then off. I used this to get back icons accidentally left in folders after an update. Post back if it works so others will know if it worked please.
    2010-10-11 06:10 PM
    Wow, so much has happened in the last few hours, and someone should really update the post since greenpois0n isn't coming out tomorrow

limera1n isn't working right for everyone, even geohotz called it shitty. And greenpois0n isn't coming out tomorrow, the dev team said it themselves
    Not to insult Geohotz, a former Dev-team member, but even the final version of Blackra1n (RC3) wasn't great. No surprise that limera1n isn't/probably won't be the most stable JB. At least it's untethered! I knew something was brewing when I saw that Geohotz' blog required a login...

I suggest that all of you wait for greenpoison or for a bootrom exploit. Limera1n is a userland exploit, which means a FW update could kill the exploit and therefore the JB. This means, unless you want to stay at your current FW for a long time, you will be JB and FW hopping, which can be dangerous. And if you don't have SHSH blobs, and are forced to restore your idevice to the current FW, which might not be JBd at the time, you're screwed...

Bootrom exploits, on the other hand, can't be defeated by firmware updates. Bootrom exploits are JB exploits on a hardware level, which can only be defeated by bootrom changes and hardware changes. Meaning your particular idevice model is JB for life, regardless of FW!

Patience is a virtue. A team of hackers is more powerful than one hacker making a JB, no offense geohotz. As for me, I'll be waiting for a bootrom exploit! I thought dev-team wasn't going to make a 4.1 exploit, but a 4.2 exploit in Nov?
    2010-10-11 06:16 PM
    Not to insult Geohotz, a former Dev-team member, but even the final version of Blackra1n (RC3) wasn't great. No surprise that limera1n isn't/probably won't be the most stable JB. At least it's untethered! I knew something was brewing when I saw that Geohotz' blog required a login...

I suggest that all of you wait for greenpoison or for a bootrom exploit. Limera1n is a userland exploit, which means a FW update could kill the exploit and therefore the JB. This means, unless you want to stay at your current FW for a long time, you will be JB and FW hopping, which can be dangerous. And if you don't have SHSH blobs, and are forced to restore your idevice to the current FW, which might not be JBd at the time, you're screwed...

Bootrom exploits, on the other hand, can't be defeated by firmware updates. Bootrom exploits are JB exploits on a hardware level, which can only be defeated by bootrom changes and hardware changes. Meaning your particular idevice model is JB for life, regardless of FW!

Patience is a virtue. A team of hackers is more powerful than one hacker making a JB, no offense geohotz. As for me, I'll be waiting for a bootrom exploit! I thought dev-team wasn't going to make a 4.1 exploit, but a 4.2 exploit in Nov?
    No, Limerain is a bootrom exploit. They are both different bootrom exploits but Geohot's has already been patched in iBoot which means that a fixed bootrom was already on the way for new devices. That meant it only made sense to release his bootrom exploit and save SHAtter/GreenPois0n for later. It's glitchy because he had to rush it when they refused to use it in Greenpois0n themselves (he did offer). When they turned him down he threatened to release Limera1n himself, so they rushed Greenpois0n them selves, announcing a release date, hoping that would head him off. If this hadn't been going on, rest assured that they would never have announced Greenpois0n for this weekend and we would have neither GP nor Limera1n this past weekend.
    Last edited by CZroe; 2010-10-11 at 06:26 PM.
    2010-10-11 06:22 PM
    For all of you who are using the iphone4 on unofficial carrier like Tmobile, don't even think of updating to 4.0.2 or 4.1 if you'll be using MiTime, Cydia wouldn't let you install it due to package dependencies that are 4.0.1 or below. I upgraded my 4.0.1 to 4.1 and it didn't work so I tried 4.0.2, still no luck. I'm now back on 4.0.1 used tinyumbrella to downgrade and preserve baseband and activated FaceTime with MiTime. Hope this helps.
    2010-10-11 06:45 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help, but I think you guys are misunderstanding the situation for me right now.

This is the issue: After I updated to 4.1, I jailbroke with limera1n and it was perfectly fine. I used APTbackup in order to restore my Cydia packages to what they were before, and then all my purchased apps from the App store disappeared. They're still on my iPhone, it's just that it can't "find" or "read" them. Is there anyway to get it to read the apps again without restoring my iPhone?

That's what it looks like from my iTunes.
    2010-10-11 07:07 PM

I lost a few icons when I restored from backup via iTunes I think it's because I was using folderenhancer before I restored. I removed all the missing apps using iTunes , downloaded one of the apps directly from the AppStore on the iPhone , that seemed to reset everything so I could just synch the rest of the apps back within iTunes I hope this works for you . As an afterthought when you used aptbackup to restore the cydia apps did it install folderenhancer or something similar that's not 4.1 compatible
    2010-10-11 07:43 PM
    Works like a charm! This is great.
    2010-10-11 07:49 PM
    This same thing happened to my friend, and I got all white icons! So I went to cydia and uninstalled one app ( dtunes but I think you could pick any app to uninstall) when I went back to the springboard all my apps were in color, so I reinstalled my app ( dtunes, again any app should work) and all is well! So
    my friend tried it on his apps that were not showing and they all appeared! I think appbkup is a little buggy? Cause we both used it! We both have iPhone 4's restored to 4.1 limera1ned then set up as new phones!! Everything seems to work smooth but folder enhancer don't work! But I don't know if I'll be installing that cause on 4.0.1 it seemed really buggy after I installed it?

Install cydia n it should turn to color
    That worked thanks but can't use my illumine theme that I was using on 3GS. Shadows on icons and folders not the right size. Illumine needs a nice HD facelift.

Cydelete limera1n? If memory serves didn't deleting blackra1n from the springboard create problems? Isn't it best just to leave it? Just wondering.
    2010-10-11 07:57 PM
    WOW! I just realized how inaccurate the title of the original SHAtter article is:

"SHAtter" Will Jailbreak Every iDevice including iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, iPad

It says "all devices" and then specifically explains that it's only for A4 devices in the very first paragraph! Even the banner image contradicts itself (says "Jailbreak...For All" and then explicitly only lists the A4 devices it will jailbreak).

But that's not all! It then goes on to say that it is the same vulnerability Geohot discovered, which is not true at all.

THEN, even though it just explained that it was an A4 exploit, it says that MuscleNerd confirmed that it works on "all devices" and quoted him in the same paragraph DIRECTLY contradicting that (he confirms only A4-based devices).

With a misleading article like that, I'd expect this thread to have a lot more people thinking that SHAtter would work on their 3GS or 3rd-gen iPt.
    Time for an update? Clarification? I'm posting this here so that anyone coming to this thread misinformed to discuss Limera1n vs. SHAtter based on that article will see that it is wrong before they start an argument.
    2010-10-11 08:14 PM
    im jailbroken with limera1n beta 2.... if I wanted to re-jailbreak to the newest releace RC3 or whatever do I just re-run limera1n? or do I have to restore to OEM Apple 4.1 and do it over?

also trying to change the root password on the device but can't get into terminal.. anyone else get into their terminal/console app?

Cheers
    Last edited by sammy848; 2010-10-11 at 08:17 PM.
    2010-10-11 08:14 PM
    im jailbroken with limera1n beta 2.... if I wanted to re-jailbreak to the newest releace RC3 or whatever do I just re-run limera1n? or do I have to restore to OEM Apple 4.1 and do it over?

also trying to change the root password on the device but can't get into terminal.. anyone else get into their terminal/console app?

Cheers
    Looks like RC1 is out now. Up under beta 2 it states BETA2 - fixed kernel patching magic, rerun BETA2+ over BETA1. So it sounds like you can just run the new one over top of the old one...but I would like some confirmation on that as well.
    2010-10-11 08:19 PM
    so if i wanted to restore to my last backup, will the bootrom exploit still be on the phone?
    2010-10-11 08:21 PM
    so if i wanted to restore to my last backup, will the bootrom exploit still be on the phone?
    Yes
    2010-10-11 08:24 PM
1,096 ... 374546474849 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD