Every software release needs to be re-jailbroken.

Apple provides the iTunes 'update' option BUT this does not work for jb'd phones. This is not recommended unless you know what you're really doing.
    2010-12-02 09:06 AM
    Can anyone tell me if I need to re-jb every time I update? Currently Ip4 on iOS 4.1 jb via green pois0n.

Or is there an update for the jb that will work to fix the issues on the new iOS if I do the jb before updating the iOS?

Also do we have to reinstall all the apps each time? I had to dl them again after I went from 4.0 jailbreakme to 4.1 green pois0n, my settings reverted back to how I had them b4 after dl but it was still a pain to respring multiple times.

Sorry i'm a n00b to the iPhone circle.
    Yes, you will need to re-jailbreak every time you update iOS.
    Without exception.

You'll need to reinstall any JB apps, anything from Cydia.
    Yes, its a pain.
    Apps you downloaded through the official AppStore may already be there and will not need to be reinstalled.
    2010-12-02 07:30 PM
    Yes, you will need to re-jailbreak every time you update iOS.
    Without exception.

You'll need to reinstall any JB apps, anything from Cydia.
    Yes, its a pain.
    Apps you downloaded through the official AppStore may already be there and will not need to be reinstalled.
    Much Thx Raduga & Mes, I figured as much when I updated 2 iOS 4.1 but was hoping the great minds here would tell me there was a cydia app that would save me the work. I learned to make a list of my fav cydia apps so that I could re-dl, if needed. Ok then I'll just deal with it & the waiting game. Have a fantastic weekend everyone
    2010-12-03 07:31 AM
    Oops ... If that's all you wanted, sorry.

AptBackup and PkgBackup (via Cydia) creates 'lists' of currently installed Cydia apps and assists in reinstalling after a jb.
    2010-12-03 07:42 AM
    please help! im about to update to ios 4.2 from jb 4.1...green poison works with ios 4.2.1 but will it work with ios 4.2???
    2011-02-11 01:29 AM
    4.2 was passed on. When you update, you will go directly to 4.2.1.
    2011-02-11 01:32 AM
    4.2 was a beta. 4.2.1 is the public release.
    2011-02-11 01:32 AM
187 ... 8910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD