@Mark-AR, ur serial # will tell us if ur old or new bootrom. The 4th and 5th digit specifies the week of production. For example, mine starts with 87027... My week of production for my ip4 is 27. If it's below week 41 ( I think) then ur the old bootrom which should keep u untethered and (as I recall) unlockable too.

If nothing else, why cant u upgrade to 4.1 and be safe there until the 4.2.1 untether/unlock is released? Let us know...
    2010-12-24 08:19 AM
    serial # isnt the most reliable way for determining bootrom. You should download idetector to find out for sure.
    2010-12-24 11:40 AM
    Hi. I always learn something from you. I am fairly new to this so I will ask a dumb question. I am looking for a straightforward how to for my iphone ios 4.0.1. I have Cydia mywifi and it works great, jailbroken with jailbreakme. I now want to go to ios 4.2.1 (current version) to work with my apple tv and a new product I just got, Looxcie (a video cam that streams to the iphone). I'm having problems with the download of the new ios 4.2. upgrade, but I'll figure that out. What should I do prior? i.e. should I save the SHSH files (how?) Once upgraded to the new ios, use redsn0w to jailbreak then get new version of MyWi 4.0 (pay the $10)? Is there an article that says--follow these steps to be able to jailbreak, then install Mywi? Are there any gotcha's to doing this (upgrade to 4.2?) I've read that the new MyWi version supports ios 4.2 (but the jailbreak is tethered?). just looking for the manual to do this. Your help is appreciated in advance. Happy Holidays!
    2010-12-24 11:10 PM
    4.2.1 is tethered right now so you may want to wait until a untethered jailbreak is released. Mywi has been updated to work with 4.2.1 though.
    2010-12-24 11:16 PM
    So if I proceed with the 4.2 upgrade (right now itunes won't let me do it-the process seems to come to the end and it gives me a network timed out message saying the network stopped responding). I should go ahead and use the tethered jailbreak from redsn0w? Do I save SHSH to roll back if necessary? How do i do that? There are a couple of compelling reasons to now move forward with 4.2. If Cydia works with it, even better to restore the hotspot capability (I have an iPad wifi that I use for work and sometimes need it to connect).

My phone also has a required lockout after a certain period of time. The tethered jailbreak only is required once, unless I have to do a restore, correct? I can live with a tethered jailbreak if I only have to do it once. Is there a step-by-step article/post that you are aware of that you could shoot me the link to? Appreciate the help! Merry Christmas!
    2010-12-25 12:40 AM
    Tethered means you will have to run redsnow every time you reboot.
    2010-12-25 12:47 AM
    EDITED: FYI, Muclenerd has released the Twitter name http://twitter.com/redsn0w_testers for following the 'Backup Plan' for 4.2b3 untethered JB TODAY. Check the Dev Team Blog!
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w

Merry Christmas!!!
    2010-12-25 05:24 AM
    No, he has only announced it's pending beta release.
    2010-12-25 05:47 AM
    No, he has only announced it's pending beta release.
    Ahhhhhh crap!!! I've been too busy with Christmas stuff to read the WHOLE page! My bad...I'll edit my post.
    2010-12-25 07:45 AM
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    2010-12-25 07:57 AM
    Tethered means you will have to run redsnow every time you reboot.
    I rarely reboot. Think I did three times in a year. That doesnt count resprings on the tethered does it? Just cold boots, right?
    2010-12-25 08:17 AM
    I rarely reboot. Think I did three times in a year. That doesnt count resprings on the tethered does it? Just cold boots, right?
    Ya, just applies to reboots, not resprings. I very rarely reboot also.
    2010-12-25 10:19 AM
    I'm pretty much seeing this as a non issue then. Especially for my iPad which should never need to be turned off with it's battery idle life of ....... weeks.
    2010-12-25 06:46 PM
    Ya, its been a non-issue for me on my i4.
    2010-12-25 06:55 PM
    so whats the deal with the new unteathered jb? out yet? :P
    2010-12-25 08:05 PM
    2010-12-25 08:09 PM
    The initial period where you have to reboot several times for installing Cydia stuff is a pain but I hope to be done soon with all the damn reboots.
    2010-12-26 01:22 AM
    I've been trying not to reboot so much but sometimes my ip4 just freezes And won't come back on till I put it in dfu mode and boot it teAthered that's y I can't wait till the unteatheree jb unleashes but I'd u guys got any suggestions on how to get it to stop freezing plz tell me. Also i thought u could turn it in unteathered but all your cydia apps wouldn't work cuz mine just hangs at the apple logo forever!!!
    2010-12-26 09:48 AM
    2010-12-30 06:13 PM
    I've been trying not to reboot so much but sometimes my ip4 just freezes And won't come back on till I put it in dfu mode and boot it teAthered that's y I can't wait till the unteatheree jb unleashes but I'd u guys got any suggestions on how to get it to stop freezing plz tell me. Also i thought u could turn it in unteathered but all your cydia apps wouldn't work cuz mine just hangs at the apple logo forever!!!
    EDITED: It'll prolly be soon. Despite the loss of Bluetooth, I'm loving the 4.2.1 untethered JB Monte. It's only been a week and JB Monte is almost at Beta4!!!
    2010-12-31 01:11 AM
285 ... 31112131415
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD