This would coexist with what I said in a previous article, that the iPhone 5 will not have any memory, and it will all be stored in the cloud.
    And I for one would certainly *not* purchase that device.
    2011-05-05 08:00 PM
    was wondering when this news would finally show up
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.
    2011-05-05 08:36 PM
    So this will then make an iPad a computer by definition? I'm gonna start saving now!
    A computer where the manufacturer won't give you root access :-(
    2011-05-05 08:38 PM
    And I for one would certainly *not* purchase that device.
    Why is that endless storage? Is that a bad thing
    2011-05-05 08:39 PM
    If they take iTunes out of the loop, we're gonna be at a loss as to how to downgrade for a bit. All of those saved SHSHs won't be very useful with an OTA delivery method.
    2011-05-05 08:39 PM
    Will these be automatic updates or will we still be able to update when and what we want? How will this affect jailbreaking?
    My thoughts exactly
    2011-05-05 09:45 PM
    A computer where the manufacturer won't give you root access :-(
    What if you jailbroke it...
    2011-05-05 10:10 PM
    If they take iTunes out of the loop, we're gonna be at a loss as to how to downgrade for a bit. All of those saved SHSHs won't be very useful with an OTA delivery method.
    I'm sure OTA updates will merely be an option. No doubt you could still do it by connecting to iTunes. That option would be required to be available since not everyone has wifi in their homes *gasp*
    2011-05-05 10:26 PM
    I posted this last night on here and wondered the same thing, how's this going to effect jailbreaks? I'm sure a block would be easy to do via the host file tho so that's a plus atleast.
    2011-05-05 11:22 PM
    in the same way that Tiny Umbrella spoofs the DNS, we can just do OTA via 'wifi sharing' from a PC/Mac. I imagine it would be even easier -- less proprietary junk in the middle.

If apple wrote iOS like a 'real' 21st century OS (modular, scalable), they could send out modular updates which address only very specific components. My basic understanding of how their authentication scheme works leads me to believe that they can't because they have iTunes authenticate the software en masse as a complete file. Doing it with individual components may be more difficult. But, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 2011-05-05 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-05-05 11:37 PM
    Apple has to send the updates in smaller parts.... Could you imagine if they didn't.... The complaints from customers "WTF!! I wasted half my monthly data plan on this b.s. update!"
    Yeah I agree. Updating takes I while already.
    2011-05-06 12:50 AM
    Wow- what if one of these fails to install when you are on vacation or something? Wouldn't you have a bricked phone until you get to a computer?
    That's why most people don't do updates when not near thier computers on Cydia apps and this should be treated no different.

Well maybe not most but a decent number of people don't because of the breaks some apps can sometimes cause.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2011-05-06 02:12 AM
    I sure hope this is true! It's about freaking time. I'm tired of having to completely backup my iPhone or iPad, download a large file (iOS update), install said file which removes all my apps, then have to wait for iTunes to reinstall my apps.. That's not to mention having to re-jailbreak my phone and install my Cydia apps and setup my theme again.
    2011-05-06 03:54 AM
    I sure hope this is true! It's about freaking time. I'm tired of having to completely backup my iPhone or iPad, download a large file (iOS update), install said file which removes all my apps, then have to wait for iTunes to reinstall my apps.. That's not to mention having to re-jailbreak my phone and install my Cydia apps and setup my theme again.
    Well get ready to try that without backing up then waiting for the slow cell download compared to home internet. Something goes wrong you don't have a recent backup.
    2011-05-06 04:13 AM
    Well get ready to try that without backing up then waiting for the slow cell download compared to home internet. Something goes wrong you don't have a recent backup.
    I didn't say I wouldn't back up and they are also planning wireless syncing which will be good. Also I didn't say anything about updating on a cell connection rather than wifi. I don't mind major updates using iTunes but these minor "patches" that require a complete reinstall of the iOS is a waste of time.
    2011-05-06 04:55 AM
    I didn't say I wouldn't back up and they are also planning wireless syncing which will be good. Also I didn't say anything about updating on a cell connection rather than wifi. I don't mind major updates using iTunes but these minor "patches" that require a complete reinstall of the iOS is a waste of time.
    Incremental updates would be nice over the air but big updates not so nice.
    2011-05-06 04:59 AM
    This would coexist with what I said in a previous article, that the iPhone 5 will not have any memory, and it will all be stored in the cloud.
    that will 100% not happen.

or possibly not even have a phone if lets say your on a buisness trip and the patch/update screws up.
    Last edited by ScottyOhio; 2011-05-06 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-05-06 05:16 AM
    Speculation like this article is a good reason people shouldn't discuss things on Twitter....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2011-05-06 09:40 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD