Data caps are the bane of every power internet user's existence. Every mobile telecom provider, sans Sprint, has instituted caps marking the death of the "Unlimited" data plan. Even T-Mobile's "Unlimited" plan throttles down your connection after you exceed 5GB in downloads for the month.

Onavo, an application for iPhone and iPad users, stiff drink users need to numb the data cap pain. Onavo claims it can double or triple your data plan by compressing the data you use while perusing the web or using apps.

What the app does is rather simple. Once the app is installed downloads are automatically rerouted through Onavo's cloud-based servers, and then compressed before sending it to your device. The app does not compress video or any data originating on your device (aka uploads). The obvious concession to this system is the rerouting of information through Onavo's servers does add a little time to your downloads.

However, for viewing pictures and other media-laden websites the compressing of data decreases file size and thereby download times, especially for users in 2G or low coverage areas. The app adds a few utilities to the mix as well, allowing users to see how much data they use and even breaks it down app by app, allowing users to see which apps are data hungry.

Privacy concerned users may be wary of this service though. While Onavo claims it does not touch information sent through HTTPS, or that they don't hold on information longer than necessary, all non-encrypted data is visible to Onavo. But, this information is visible to your mobile provider too.

Download here.

Source: Onavo
    Last edited by Simon; 2011-05-11 at 01:08 AM.
    2011-05-10 09:17 PM
    Does this work????
    2011-05-10 09:38 PM
    No thanks. That's not "side-stepping" the data cap. It's just slowing down the rate at which you reach it.
    2011-05-10 09:38 PM
    Sorry, what is this?
    It Takes One To Know One
    2011-05-10 09:40 PM
    So I download the app. I install the app. I then set up the app and it won't let me turn on the app. This is some BS !!! Forget this app
    2011-05-10 09:41 PM
    2011-05-10 10:11 PM
    Does this work????
    Downloaded it and started downloading some big files on Edge. So far, it seems to actually work pretty well. Pages load a lot faster, and downloads seem to go a lot smoother. Going to go more in-depth with it tonight though.

I need to know how this works
    It says right in the article how it works. Also, there's a detailed explaination on their web site if you care to check it out.
    Last edited by PotterFan; 2011-05-10 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Tyler West
    Apple Genius Bar
    Chicago, IL
    2011-05-10 10:14 PM
    The writers can say data whores, but I can't say that's Mod Edit *language* bad language?
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2011-05-10 at 10:55 PM.
    2011-05-10 10:16 PM
    lol people worry about data location but have no problem sending all their data through some random company?
    2011-05-10 10:18 PM
    The writers can say data whores, but I can't say that's ******* bad language?

Edit: if this comment gets changed by a mod, I will write a letter to the author to watch their language, and another to the moderator to also edit the article.
    Writers are writers. You are a "member". You get the privilege of being here.

Idiot.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2011-05-10 at 10:56 PM.
    2011-05-10 10:24 PM
    It says right in the article how it works. Also, there's a detailed explaination on their web site if you care to check it out.
    I meant technically how it works. And I don't consider "it compresses the data through our servers" to be even remotely detailed. I realized that it installs a carrier bundle profile into your phone that changes your phone's APN from AT&T's to Onavo's.

It looks like it isn't working for T-Mobile. After installing the profile, I can't even get to the Google homepage. I use $5/mo data plan.
    2011-05-10 10:25 PM
    So I download the app. I install the app. I then set up the app and it won't let me turn on the app. This is some BS !!! Forget this app
    Same here.

Seriously pissed off.
    2011-05-10 10:40 PM
    Writers are writers. You are a "member". You get the privilege of being here.

Idiot.
    And do you get the exclusive privilege to call someone an "Idiot"?
    2011-05-10 10:50 PM
    If you can't turn the service on, change backgrounder settings so settings.app, safari.app, and onavo.app have 'native' backgrounding enabled (I'm not sure which one of those actually needs it, just did all three at the same time and it started working).
    2011-05-10 10:54 PM
    The writers can say data whores, but I can't say that's Mod Edit *language* bad language?
    Wow. Great to see that the ModMyI staff censors people. So much for free speech.
    -FBIRyuJin
    2011-05-10 11:00 PM
    Wow. Great to see that the ModMyI staff censors people. So much for free speech.
    I think the mods here are less militant than the ones over at mac rumors
    2011-05-10 11:31 PM
    I've never been there. I just generally oppose censorship on the internet (besides stopping spam) I don't censor on my website, but it's not a mac website.
    -FBIRyuJin
    2011-05-10 11:42 PM
    ...no it's because some people find that language offensive...
    2011-05-10 11:52 PM
    Any prostitutes reading may find the writers use of the word whore offensive.
    2011-05-10 11:54 PM
    ...no it's because some people find that language offensive...
    That's a danger we all face when we go on the internet, or out in public. We may hear things we don't want to. I once stood behind a guy at a deli talking loudly into his POS phone about how he got VD from his gf. (In graphic detail) I find it offensive to have my words censored.

Also I will not debate this, and get this thread anymore off topic. You can PM me if you want to have a censorship discussion.
    -FBIRyuJin
    2011-05-10 11:56 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD