1. Akshay Masand's Avatar


    According to the state-run Xinhua News Agency, the family of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone while it was charging. Authorities are still said to be examining the situation and trying to figure out whether it was the mobile phone which caused the electrocution. Not surprisingly, the family is seeking compensation from Apple over the whole ordeal. The older sister of the victim demanded an explanation from Apple over the incident on the Chinese social network Sina Weibo. She had written the following:

    (I) hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging.
    The post has gone viral in China with people forwarding the message and warning family and friends of the dangers of using mobile devices while they are being charged. Experts have also warned against the use of any electronic device while it’s being charged according to the South China Morning Post. Dr. Peter Chiu Ping-kuen, the head of the Department of Electronic and Information Engineering at the Hong Kong institute of Vocational Education said that it would not be appropriate to jump to any conclusions since the circumstances of the incident are not yet known.

    The Cupertino California company was quick to issue a statement regarding the matter, stating that the company felt “deeply sorry for the unfortunate accident” as it expressed condolences to the victim’s family. Apple is also said to be investigating the incident thoroughly to discover what the reasoning behind the death was.

    Although we’ve heard of some bizarre situations in the past, this is the first electrocution based incident we’ve heard so far. Most previous issues regarding harm from iOS devices have been explosions which have been attributed to bad repair jobs at unauthorized service center or counterfeit iPhone chargers. We’ll have to wait and see what the reasoning behind the electrocution was.

    Source: The Next Web, South China Morning Post

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2013-07-15 07:11 AM
  2. Carvensno's Avatar
    I feel for the family but? This was what i was going to say.

    "unauthorized service center or counterfeit iPhone chargers"
    2013-07-15 08:38 AM
  3. ecd5000's Avatar
    What the story doesn't say is how she was using the phone, watching tv, making toast and using a hair dryer while taking a bath.
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.
    2013-07-15 08:43 AM
  4. bradmullins007's Avatar
    I don't know about anyone else but when my iPhone 5 is charging it will definitely shock you. My iPhone 4 and 4s did the same thing so it must be pretty common.
    2013-07-15 09:07 AM
  5. Eonhpi's Avatar
    Sounds like another felonious law suit
    2013-07-15 10:05 AM
  6. noraa's Avatar
    If she was using a standard 5V, 1A charger (or even a 2A charger) there's pretty much no way she could have been electrocuted. While .1 amps is indeed enough to kill someone, that .1 amp would need to be applied directly to a person's heart or be combined with a high enough voltage to penetrate the skin and chest cavity. Skin has a fairly high resistance, and 5V is a very low voltage. Skin generally has a resistance anywhere from 100 ohms to 100,000 ohms - a minimum of 10,000 ohms on your fingers. So let's do a little math. V=IR (voltage = current * resistance). The voltage coming from a standard iPhone (or even iPad) charger is 5V, and that will stay constant regardless of resistance, as such the variable in this equation is current - with a maximum of 1 or 2 amps. So we've got 5V = I * 10000Ω or I = 5V/10000Ω = .0005 amps. Even the phone some how touch a very thin piece of skin where the resistance is closer to 100, you're still only looking at .05 amps. Unless she had doused her self in salt water, there simply isn't enough power coming from a standard charger to cause any real damage (beyond a very mild shock). Now, if she was using a non-standard charger that could push through more amps, that's another story entirely...
    2013-07-15 10:19 AM
  7. docmagoo2's Avatar
    This situation sucks, and condolences to the family but until it's fully investigated and causality is established then the law suit should be put on hold. The Chinese authorities will no doubt side with their citizens tho as proven in the past....
    2013-07-15 10:24 AM
  8. sheon's Avatar
    hey atleast its not as bad as the porn lawsuit lmao since its China its probably a fake iPhone so ya
    2013-07-15 11:24 AM
  9. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
    All part of the Samsung/Apple PR war. The anti-Apple component of Samsung's worldwide ad campaign has become increasingly brazen and direct over the last few years and the two have been embroiled in ever more bitter legal patent battles across the world. Wouldn't put it past Samsung's dirty tricks department to have dreamt this one up.
    2013-07-15 12:21 PM
  10. bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Noraa- u sound like the people I work with. Sigh...
    2013-07-15 12:41 PM
  11. onski's Avatar
    I feel bad for their loss, but i dont see this happening unless she used a knock off charger or maybe she plugged the usb directly to the outlet..
    2013-07-15 01:27 PM
  12. bigstudio's Avatar
    ...Now, if she was using a non-standard charger that could push through more amps, that's another story entirely...
    Or, more likely, if the charger was defective.
    2013-07-15 02:11 PM
  13. tridley68's Avatar
    Sounds like another felonious law suit
    i totaly agree with you 100% everyone is looking for a get rich scheme.
    2013-07-15 02:55 PM
  14. slim.jim's Avatar
    What the story doesn't say is how she was using the phone, watching tv, making toast and using a hair dryer while taking a bath.
    You can't die in a bath like that. If your house is wired properly you should have a GFI circuit in your bathroom and at the very least the breaker should be tripped before any damage is done.
    2013-07-15 03:28 PM
  15. buggsy2's Avatar
    You can't die in a bath like that. If your house is wired properly you should have a GFI circuit in your bathroom and at the very least the breaker should be tripped before any damage is done.
    1. This is China.
    2. Plenty of older homes in the USA don't have the 3rd ground wire let alone GFIs!
    2013-07-15 03:43 PM
  16. jzhu625's Avatar
    everybody wants a piece of that apple
    2013-07-15 03:56 PM
  17. steve-z17's Avatar
    There's got to be something else at play here that hasn't been figured out or reported.
    2013-07-15 04:31 PM
  18. xhazex9x's Avatar
    1. This is China.
    2. Plenty of older homes in the USA don't have the 3rd ground wire let alone GFIs!
    Exactly this and i hate when people try to get all technical " it takes 1 amp directly to ur anus according to the 2011 polls ur gfi circuit has to be 100% aluminum or ur sphagetti wont cook right"
    2013-07-15 05:03 PM
  19. kuanyu's Avatar
    Exactly this and i hate when people try to get all technical " it takes 1 amp directly to ur anus according to the 2011 polls ur gfi circuit has to be 100% aluminum or ur sphagetti wont cook right"
    Lol
    2013-07-15 05:23 PM
  20. slim.jim's Avatar
    Why can't people die from normal things like autoerotic asphyxiation.
    2013-07-15 06:11 PM
44 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD